Rood-Witten (& Blau) Malik Tillman at PSV America (olf Bayern Munich)

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by CreightonMCFCjoey, Aug 18, 2015.

1. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Yep, that's a possible scenario I mentioned above. There are smarter footie transfer minds than mine who will hole up in a rathskeller near K-F-S and decide the best route (or, more likely, do some club a favor so they can snag some other huge-money transfer...) As mentioned, I hope he ends up at a club with a coach that really wants him and a staff that can teach him a bit. Will be interesting.

butters59 repped this.
  2. iad_22201

iad_22201 Member+

Jan 2, 2009
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Eh, that's really not the question.

It certainly wouldn't be that out of the ordinary for a successful Rangers player to transfer to a top Dutch side and that would not be a "lateral move".

No sh*t.

3. Tigerpunk

Tigerpunk Member+

Jun 17, 2004
    If you want to change "Europa or Champions League team in Belgium or the Netherlands" to "Ajax, just Ajax," then I agree, but that doesn't mean he's not ready for a top 5 league. Otherwise, not sure the facts support your claim:

https://www.transfermarkt.us/glasgow-rangers/alletransfers/verein/124

4. iad_22201

iad_22201 Member+

Jan 2, 2009
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Look, I actually agree with you that he's not likely to move to Belgium or Holland. I never said he was. I simply disagreed with your original assertion that moving to either of those leagues would be a lateral move. Both leagues (and especially Holland) would be a significant step up in terms of the quality of opposition he'd face on a week in and week out basis. Hell, Holland is actually likely to replace France as a top 5 European league by the end of this season.

Now I'll admit I'm probably not as high on Tillman right now (and how he's performed this season) as you are because I'm not convinced that he's ready to play in a top 4 league next season.

5. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    I don't know much, but I do know that Rangers are not selling MT to Netherlands or Belgium this summer unless somebody is completely asleep at the wheel in Munich.

6. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
  7. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  8. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts Member+

United States
    Mar 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wish CBS Sports / Paramount+ would show all the games. But honestly, it seems like Tillman has his best games when I can't watch the game. So <fingers-crossed>

mace repped this.
  9. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Out:

Up 4-2 in the 81st.

Winoman repped this.
  10. Casper

Casper Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    New York
    "The former Canada international scored a trademark goal last weekend, Rangers’ fifth in the 5-2 win over St Mirren and is currently only on loan at Ibrox."

That's a hell of a first sentence in that article, conflating facts about Arfield with one fact about Tillman. They share so much in common...

Winoman and freisland repped this.
  11. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Yeah, kinda made me laugh. It was written by ChatGPT-eh

mace and Winoman repped this.
  12. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Appears Tillman starts v Aberdeen on the right in a 4-2-3-1 - Fashion - Cantwell - MT with Morelos up top as per usual.

Winoman and TimB4Last repped this.
  13. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Tillman with a big start today, Rangers v Celtic in the Semifinal of the Scottish Cup.

[​IMG]

BostonRed and Winoman repped this.
  14. Alemannia

Alemannia Member

Alemannia Aachen
    Sep 16, 2021
    And off with an injury around 35 minutes.

15. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seriousness?

16. Alemannia

Alemannia Member

Alemannia Aachen
    Sep 16, 2021
    Hard to tell, made a bad lunging tackle, was lucky to avoid getting called for a foul. Stayed down afterwards, then tried to play through for a couple minutes before coming off in tears.

17. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
  18. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    #919 Suyuntuy, May 1, 2023
    Last edited: May 1, 2023
    £5m massive? Don't they know there's a greedflation going on?

PS: He's been playing well for them. I don't get it. They hate our guy. Avoid their stupid forums.

19. iad_22201

iad_22201 Member+

Jan 2, 2009
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tbf, that is a fairly massive amount for modern day Rangers. In the last 15+ years they've only spent that much on one other player.

20. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    Just get out of that league.

21. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    They hate losing the treble to Celtic. They would get rid of everyone including their own mum, except Tav and maybe Cantwell, at this point.

22. grandinquisitor28

Feb 11, 2002
    Nevada
    That’s fine just don’t pretend it’s about value, dude is likely to be worth 2-4x that in a year w/one more season like that. I find it impossible to believe that Bayern Munich would fined a 5 million pound purchase satisfactory considering his pedigree w/their organization and the breakout season he just had. They aren't some flea market vendor trying to move merchandise in 48 hours, they can keep him and sell to clubs with real money or loan out to a better league.

There's a solipsistic, parochial delusional quality to that argument that kind of beggars belief. Fine, it would be a crazy expensive signing, that's fine, but lets not pretend it has to do with an accurate appraisal of his value, it has do with how they run their club, and what they prioritize, and signing expensive elite and semi-elite prospects on transfers clearly isn't a part of it. Good, I don't want him there another year in the first place.

Really, really, really dislike British fans on those boards. Yeesh, Scottish or English or Welsh, just flat out delusional.

23. grandinquisitor28

Feb 11, 2002
    Nevada
    I did look at one of the forums, and it wasn't horrible, it was just myopic.

1.) All attention was focused on whether or not he was worth 5 million pounds, nobody seemed to consider whether Bayern would simply trigger the buy back (which I would say there's a 95% chance of happening in the event of Rangers triggering the option to buy).

2.) There seemed to be no appreciation for randomness/20 years old/first professional season for why his play has been uneven. They focus 1000% of their attention on one match up (against Celtic), and the fact that he hasn't played well in what, 3 games out of 41 in those? He also was blech in CL, where I think he started 4 or 5 of 6 games, but the entire team was defenestrated in CL. So I don't think it's surprising that a team that was completely overrun, because lets be straight, they've been mostly out of CL competition for more than a decade and for good reason, and when in there they were outscored 22-2 for a -20 GD (I can't even recall the last time a team got the ---- kicked out of them that badly in CL) and of course 0 wins and draws. Was that really the fault of a 20 year old playing his first season as a full time starter, or the fault of the veterans the team was erected around? I'd go with the latter.

The randomness angle is pretty straight forward, Rangers plays more than 40 games and more than 75% of them are against ---- teams, and less than 15% of them are against quality sides (CL/Europa/Celtic), so it's not surprising that his strong performances would be largely against the crappers in Scotland, there are only so many quality games on the schedule, and when you look at the game state in CL (basically being the equivalent of Fiji in the year 120 BCE getting overrun by Roman Legions), it's not surprising that he left little finger print there beyond being one of the best players in qualifying for CL (scored and assisted in 2 of the 4 biggest CL qualifiers). So yeah.....None of them seem to appreciate that fact.

3.) Kind of a delusional sense of value. If Rangers are one of the two best teams in Scotland, shouldn't they be at least a little ambitious with signings. If 5 mill is too much for a guy likely to return 2-4x on them in a year or two, you probably should just considering yourself a Scottish backwater side and leave it at that, 5 mill in European competition is nothing, period, if it's that much a problem, its a you problem, not a Tillman, or tough guy/heart nonsense problem.

24. grandinquisitor28

Feb 11, 2002
    Nevada
    As a way to underline my randomness point, let me make this point, to the random Rangers fan that might ever read the thread, and be paying way too much attention to him doing nothing against Celtic in 3 starts (while getting hurt in the 4th).

He also didn't do squat against St. Johnstone, who suck, Kilmarnock, who suck, and only the 1 goal against Ross County, who are in last place. Also did little of note against middling sides like St. Mirren, Hibs, and Livingston.

Again? Randomness. Do those teams have his # even though they're trash, or has he just happened to sprinkle most of his best performances randomly against Hearts, Motherswell, USG, PSV, and Dundee?

You hear them totally focus on him sucking in the Old Firm, but if they were even paying the smallest bit of attention they'd note he scored goals in chunks, randomly against teams sprinkled all across the standings of the SPL, and against 2 of the 5 tough teams he played in CL.

But nope, they're myopic, and all they can see is Celtic green.