Rood-Witten (& Blau) Malik Tillman at PSV America (olf Bayern Munich)

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by CreightonMCFCjoey, Aug 18, 2015.

1. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    mace, Dizi, WheezingUSASupport and 5 others repped this.
  2. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    He’s still too cute by half with the ball for my money. Get 25% more direct in some moments and he’ll be twice the player

3. belyin

belyin Member

Jun 1, 2006
    I have only seen the highlights, which by definition are the moments that work so I can't speak to how it plays out in the totality of his play, but I like his utilization of la pausa. Certainly a nice change of rhythm from the direct Pulisic method.

TimB4Last and Gacm32 repped this.
  4. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Yeah - don't get me wrong, I don't think he shouldn't ever do it. But I watch him a lot and I sometimes get the feeling he just loves trying to beat the defender, even tight in the box, which is cool, but sometimes It seems just letting it rip or an earlier pass isn't the smart (and safer for you ankles) choice. CP has learned over the years what being that kind of tight dribbler can do to your shins. But I'm also pretty sure MT has better soccer minds than me giving him tips, and if they're not saying it, he's better off not listening to rando on BS - so Malik, freis sez you are free to be you!

5. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

This was just a great goal which would have required even a high level defender to make a great play.

Dizi repped this.
  6. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Winoman and LouisZ repped this.
  7. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Rangers v Celtic. Tillman started and lasted 85’, departing with Rangers ahead 2-1. Tillman was replaced by Sands, and Rangers conceded the equalizing goal at 88’. CCV went the full distance for Celtic.

Final score

Rangers 2-2 Celtic

Winoman and freisland repped this.
  8. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    #708 freisland, Jan 2, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2023
    Huge missed opportunity for Gers. Had the better of play early. Equalizer came off a number of failures to clear. Sands not really involved. Could have picked up the goal scorer if he’d been prescient and lucky, but Ryan’s failure to put a dangerous ball out or away from goal was the main issue. Tillman already off, for Sands, before the goal. Cc’d had a good tackle on MT just before Tillman went off after Tillman took a bit too long on the ball with a late Gers chance.

Winoman repped this.
  9. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    CyphaPSU and Winoman repped this.
  10. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Scores:

Anderson11, Winoman, bct81 and 2 others repped this.
  11. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ebbro, Boysinblue, sakibomb523 and 4 others repped this.
  12. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rangers Football Club
    @RangersFC

78' SUB: A change for Rangers.

➡️ ON: Roofe
    ⬅️ OFF: Tillman

Dundee United 0-2 Rangers

Winoman repped this.
  13. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
  14. bct81

bct81 Member+

multiple (DC United, Dortmund, Arsenal, Leeds....)
    United States
    Mar 17, 2007
    moving around the US every few years ....
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ?

15. mace

mace Member+

Indy 11
    United States
    Jun 5, 2004
    USA
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Watch tapping goal celebration. Although, it doesn't quite have the same meaning in Tillman's case since he actually started the game.

Love this TV angle of his goal. What is the xG on this? :thumbsup:

C2D961D0-42C5-45FF-8E07-67726EE8281F.png

Boysinblue, Winoman and bct81 repped this.
  16. bct81

bct81 Member+

multiple (DC United, Dortmund, Arsenal, Leeds....)
    United States
    Mar 17, 2007
    moving around the US every few years ....
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    so it is the watch tap ....

17. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Started in cup semis:

Rangers Football Club
    @RangersFC

73' SUB: A double change for Rangers.

➡️ ON: Kamara & Roofe
    ⬅️ OFF: Tillman & Morelos

Rangers 1-1 Aberdeen | #ViaplayCup

Leading 2-1 in ET.

freisland and Winoman repped this.
  18. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Rangers won after giving up 2 goals on the counter (one luckily called back for legit, but very close OS) despite having the bulk of the attacking play. I watched with half an eye on and off through the game. Most of the time Tillman was lined up as an RM in a very fluid and attacking 4-3-3 to my eye (tho a press report I saw had it a 4-2-3-1, which it didn't really feel like to me.) Fashion Jr. was playing in front of MT in the RW position and they linked up pretty well. MT is incredibly skilled with lovely touch and good vision (he hit a beautiful long seams splitting pass and very clever back heel in some of the early moments I watched) but was not involved in the 1st Gers goal (he was wide right at the far post - and wide open at least.) and not on the field for the second. Had a good lung-busting run back to break up an early counter with a slide-tackle that was unexpected and impressive. I still think he plays a bit too cute, but he clearly is very highly skilled for this level. If he (or his cohorts) were a bit more ruthless in the box he'd be notching decent G/A numbers. Gers v. Celtic next in the final.

Mason16, Winoman and glutton4Bolts repped this.
  19. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts Member+

United States
    Mar 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He definitely can be a bit too cute at times and can come off nonchalant but he also does at least a few things a game that really pop. He did appear to play a bit further back in this one... essentially like an 8. And he broke the lines with great passes at least 4 times in the 1st half. Kind of unlucky to not have better assist / hockey-assist numbers IMO. I was bothered yet again by the Scottish half-time announcer who singled MT out for not being good enough. That dude is so anti-Yank. At any rate, still a ton of room to grow and I really hope he and Musah start to bring just a bit more of the US-typical engine to their game because if they paired that with their natural technique/skill then they could be VERY good elite league players.

20. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Yeah, I don't question his skill at all (and I always watch with the sound off, so I missed that color commentary! lol.) I just think if he were more direct at times - esp in this league - he'd get goals or draw PKs at a better rate. Again, I only watched in bits and pieces, but I thought his passing out of the midfield was very good - had not seen that part of his game much at all. He's a really skilled player. He just should be putting up better numbers - and some of that is down to his teammates not finishing chances, but some is on him as well.

glutton4Bolts repped this.
  21. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

freisland repped this.
  22. zlatan_but_a_car

Botswana Meat Commission FC
    United States
    Oct 16, 2017
    I think it might just be my lack of sleep, but highlighting the quote "It depends on the club and Bayern" in the tweet is just so funny.

My internal response after reading that quote was "uh, yeah, I sure hope it does" like the guy who made this Vine:

23. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts Member+

United States
    Mar 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It took Musiala quite a while to become an integral part of the 1st squad and while I like MT, I think he is a significant step down in skill from him at this point. As such, I do NOT want MT going back to Bayern until he proves he can be one of the better players in a lower league. Dude should not be in a hurry to return.

zlatan_but_a_car and Anderson11 repped this.
  24. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  25. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Killie in 11th. Rangers with a cup match on Sat. but aside from Kamara for Tillman and Arfield for Jack I think this is the same line-up as started v. Aberdeen. Resting middies? Or change in faves?

(Sands on the bench as well.)