Rood-Witten (& Blau) Malik Tillman at PSV America (olf Bayern Munich)

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by CreightonMCFCjoey, Aug 18, 2015.

1. bshredder

bshredder BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I still like Ferreira as a player. Not sure if he is purely a #9 and how you get the most use out of him. But he's a good player. I like his skillset.

I am still a wait-and-see person when it comes to evaluating players without meaningful first-team minutes.

comoesa, jnielsen and Winoman repped this.
  2. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    True. I was wrong. Still don't think he should start any of the frinedlies.

3. wixson7

wixson7 Member+

May 12, 2009
    boulder
  4. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    On these highlights looks like young Jozy. With Altidore's positives and negatives.

5. Eighteen Alpha

Eighteen Alpha Member+

Aug 17, 2016
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    Here's a couple of their opinions:

“He’s definitely a player who’s more and more becoming an alternative,” Nagelsmann said, adding that he was more than just a clock-killing substitute at the end of matches whose results are clear. “He’s not a blind sub. We’re talking about a top quality young striker. I’d also trust his use when things are not settled on the pitch.”

“Malik’s one of the younger lads in the U-19s, but he’s a beast physically. He has very, very good technique. He’s difficult to nudge off the ball. He’ll get even better if he becomes more dynamic. It helps him to play as a striker sometimes. He’s got a very good tally for goals and assists,” Bayern academy director Jochen Sauer said at the start of the year.

https://www.si.com/soccer/2022/05/19/malik-tillman-usmnt-germany-bayern-munich

-------------

Can't hurt to give a look as an option in one of the friendlies, although I'm not sure if he can play in a friendly before his switch is approved.

LouisZ and TheHoustonHoyaFan repped this.
  6. Casper

Casper Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    New York
    I was being extremely real. I have watched his minutes for one of the best club teams in the world, which do in fact exist. Nagelsmann repeatedly had him in the squad for "best option available" and not "let's give a kid some exposure" reasons.

7. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, he can't play for anyone until it's approved. FIFA only needs a week or so once it's submitted. The time consuming part is getting the docs together.

Winoman and Eighteen Alpha repped this.
  8. grandinquisitor28

Feb 11, 2002
    Nevada
    #308 grandinquisitor28, May 20, 2022
    Last edited: May 20, 2022
    Understandable, it's just at this point, he's basically doing pretty much the same thing as most of our other forwards at the first team level in Europe which is nothing (beyond Wright, and Pefok).

I'm a lot more interested in Ferreira now than I was a year ago when I found him incredibly disappointing at U23 qualifying (to be fair, the midfield was a gigantic pile of 6's so not a lot of playmaking was happening).

9. frankburgers

frankburgers Member+

May 31, 2016
    Rash of bad takes lately.

10. frankburgers

frankburgers Member+

May 31, 2016
    A teenager can’t get more game time in a team that features:

lewy, musiala, sane, Coman, gnabry, muller

Wow! This kid stinks! The usmnt doesn’t need him.

laxcoach repped this.
  11. bballshawn

bballshawn Member+

Feb 5, 2014
    Delaware
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Our fanbase is scared of prosperity

12. bshredder

bshredder BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #312 bshredder, May 20, 2022
    Last edited: May 20, 2022
    No one is saying he stinks.

I think the general belief is that he's a very good prospect who, as it goes with prospects, may or may not turn into a very good player.

I think toning down the expectations on unproven teenagers is a sign of maturity.

What is not a sign of maturity is getting over-the-top excited about players who haven't really done anything beyond a youth level or beyond 3rd or 4th tier level. That has happened for so long and so many times that it's not worth even listing examples.

Is it a nice add to the program? Sure. Could he turn out to be very good? Yes. Could he turn out to be just a nice player? Yes. Could he be average or below? Also yes.

Again, I like the wait and see approach and the tempered enthusiasm.

FormerGermanGuy, Dander, ebbro and 4 others repped this.
  13. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actions speak louder than words. A guy with a100 minutes at a good level is not ready to start a USMNT match or frankly help us this year. That's all I'm saying.

14. diablodelsol

diablodelsol Member+

Jan 10, 2001
    New Jersey
    If players capable of getting more than a100 minutes at Bayern is our standard we’re gonna have a tough time competing 3 or 4 on 11.

I’ll say the same thing I said with Green. I won’t hold lack of minutes against a young player when said player is at a club like Bayern. If they’re good enough to be part of that first team…they’re good enough to get an opportunity to compete side by side with their competition in the US team.

In Green’s case…I’m not sure he should have won that competition. In Tillman’s case…we’ll see.

Winoman and bballshawn repped this.
  15. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What? We should absolutely should hold a lack of minutes against a player. Hoppe has done more than Tillman and is buried because he gets no minutes. What are you guys saying here.

Green should not have been on that team in Donovan's place anyway.

wsmaugham repped this.
  16. diablodelsol

diablodelsol Member+

Jan 10, 2001
    New Jersey
    1)hoppe has a paper thin resume on a club who’s players could only wear a Bayern kit if they bought it in the store
    2)I agree with your second point. I tempered my language so as not to sidetrack the discussion given the historical views of him in this particular forum.

17. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why do you guys think scrubs (relatively speaking) have never suited up for Bayern? Not saying that is the case with Tillman, just throwing it out there.

18. Ray Shoesmith

Ray Shoesmith Member+

Valencia
    United States
    Nov 14, 2021
    You could just as easily say much of our fanbase is desperate, gullible, ignorant and delusional.

Just sayin.

19. Ray Shoesmith

Ray Shoesmith Member+

Valencia
    United States
    Nov 14, 2021
    Klinnsman’s decision on Donovan was completely personal.

Petty, narcissistic and arrogant. He was going to show LD and everyone who believed in him. JK was a current US politician before his time.

20. twoolley

twoolley Member+

Jan 3, 2008
    I'm not totally clear what you're asking here (not trying to be a turd, just not sure what you're asking).

I think the distinction that is always tough to draw until you can see players in different situations is does a player who get very few minutes for one of the worst teams in La Liga compare with a player who has gotten very few minutes for one of the top teams in the world but primarily has played in lower divisions?

How can we really judge those things until there are more similar scenarios drawn? It seems like everyone is a lot closer in position that different in that this could be a meaningful player down the road, and is worth bringing into a camp to compete and have context of skill level relative to the player pool. It's not inconceivable that someone who cannot get significant minutes for Bayern is still better than say Matthew Hoppe. It's also tough to justify not playing consistently in a top division at this point leading to USMNT minutes. So, time will tell, but this does feel like more of one for the future unless some big things change between now and end of summer in terms of team.

frankburgers repped this.
  21. chrisdon72

chrisdon72 Member

Feb 23, 2000
    Mostly agree. But it was two petty, narcissistic and arrogant people who collided. The NT coach is always going to win that one. LD was without a doubt a diva. I say that as a big LD fan, though. He was great fun to watch.

22. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  23. golazo68

golazo68 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 21, 2004
    Brazil
    I agree with you. If I were Klinnsman, I would have brought Donovan, but had him on the bench if he truly thought he was underperforming (later game sub). That would have been message enough

But in the end, it really didn’t matter did it? US just wasn’t that good. And shockingly, Green and Brooks both scored and Yedlin played pretty well.

24. Ray Shoesmith

Ray Shoesmith Member+

Valencia
    United States
    Nov 14, 2021
    Didn’t matter? Will never know for sure but after the Jozy injury we were screwed up front. Also, would you rather have LD with one key chance in a big moment or Wondo? LD proved he could create a chance against any team in the world. To leave him off was personal and criminal considering our pool. A joke, and embarrassing. The way some defended it showed emotional limitation and stupidity of epic proportions. Well, unless trying to win didn’t matter and it was all about proving a ridiculous destructive point and some inane/insane selfish narcissistic principle.
    In hindsight when I remember reading how fools bought in it always reminds me of what a few posters said.He was a malicious petty politician feeding on the emotional and gullible. They were spot on. He could be US president and was ahead his time.
    Yeah, a player like LD could have never helped. Sure.

25. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    . I like his game too. I think he will be a big player someday