Maldini to Trap: No thanks to Italy Return

Discussion in 'Italy: National Teams' started by Kqql, Oct 15, 2003.

1. Kqql

Kqql Member

Sep 22, 2003
  2. burn357

burn357 New Member

Oct 13, 2003
    the mothership
    paolo did well to decline, he would be 36 by the time of the Euros and despite the fact that he is still one of the best defenders in the world, he is getting slower all the time. Its a shame that all those penalty kicks and extra time matches were losses for him. if they had been wins he could have led italy to 2 world cups victory and a european championship victory during his career. but he certainly wont retire from football withj nothing. maldini is and will always be one of italy's heros. I plan to be at San Siro to give him a standing ovation for his final match with AC Milan.

Thanks for the great memories Paolo Maldini

3. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT
    I agree. The only reason it's even being considered would be the chance for him lift a major international trophy. But he'd be a sub at best, and that smacks of desperation, which isn't fitting. And as has been pointed out, he doesn't need any more honors "cap" his career because it's already been a great one.

4. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Binghamton, NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't understand Trap's reasoning on this. Zambrotta has filled in nicely in Maldini's role. I would go as far as to say he's done better, simply because he offers more offensive options.

5. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT
    I think he's thinking that Maldini has demonstrated now that he can play both central defense and outside defense. Not many players have that. Therefore, he adds depth and flexibility to the squad. Add in his leadership abilities and experience, and it seems like a no-brainer to ask him on as a squad player. Who would you prefer as your 5th-choice defender - somebody like Mark Iuliano? Or Giuseppe Pancaro? Or Paolo Maldini.

6. Kqql

Kqql Member

Sep 22, 2003
    How about Legrottaglie or Ferrari?
    Even the Trap knows not to call Iuliano anymore.

Maldini only has played central defense since
    the 2002 WC for AC Milan, so he would be taking the place or subbing for Cannavaro or Nesta.

7. Ian McCracken

Ian McCracken Member

May 28, 1999
    USA
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I'm sure this invitation will be revisited next spring by Trap and Maldini, right before Euro 2004. Injuries can happen, so I don't rule out a Maldini trip to Portugal next June.