Makukula: Is now the time?

Discussion in 'Portugal: National Teams' started by Aveirenses, Sep 2, 2007.

1. BatatasFritas

BatatasFritas Member+

Nov 29, 2004
    Toronto
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Well, only if he was an unused player for Porto like Ricardo Costa was. :confused:

2. Joelzinho

Joelzinho Member

May 23, 2005
    Montreal!
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Not questioning that, and if we are going to debate this never ending subject we could start a topic, however I am just curious as to when he arrived in Portugal.

Its nice when a player that plays for the national team represents the futebol that is played on the land no? Deco came when he was 16, Pepe 18, when did Makukula come? Earlier?

3. eurodad

eurodad Member+

Mar 15, 2005
    Brampton
    Just trying to get you going bud. :D:D We risk becoming another France guys. Do we not have enough talented players in Portugal ? I think we do.

4. Chess_Panther

Chess_Panther Member+

Apr 29, 2007
    Porto, Portugal
    For the striker position?...probably only H. Almeida and even if he remotely turns into world class we still need a good replacement.

5. Joelzinho

Joelzinho Member

May 23, 2005
    Montreal!
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    We do not make strikers. We are horrible at making strikers.

And do no compare Portugal to France. At least the people that are granted citizen ship speak the language, and have some cultural ties to the country...

Anyways, immigration is a way of life. No point in trying to stop it.

6. eurodad

eurodad Member+

Mar 15, 2005
    Brampton
    I think that there should be a rule (for all NT teams) that a player must have resided in that country for a minimum of (just for example) 10 years before they are allowed to represent that country.

7. Joelzinho

Joelzinho Member

May 23, 2005
    Montreal!
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Would be a decent rule. But then what about the kids who come over at 12 for whatever reason. Surely the futebol that they will be playing will be influenced by thier new country.

I would say a 5 or 6 year rule would be more appropriate. We would definitly see less jumping.

Lets say 6 years, Deco would then qualify and I believe Pepe would as well in a year time no? He came at 18, and he is currently 23 if I am not mistaken. But then again, he has just moved to Espanha....

8. Quaresma

Quaresma New Member

Aug 1, 2003
    Steeltown
    unlike deco pepe etc makukula played in all of portugals youth squads..sevilla just loaned him out as they werent sure hwo effective hell be after his injuries, but hes looking great so far.

9. PassItOn

PassItOn New Member

Dec 29, 2004
    NJ
    Here's a main reason. Makukula fala Portugues, nao Brasileiro. :D

10. BatatasFritas

BatatasFritas Member+

Nov 29, 2004
    Toronto
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Still not Portuguese right..... :rolleyes:

11. Joelzinho

Joelzinho Member

May 23, 2005
    Montreal!
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    meh....Same language, just different accents.

Anyways, if Makukula played on all of Portugal youth squad, he must have goven here before the age of 12?

12. PassItOn

PassItOn New Member

Dec 29, 2004
    NJ
    About that, he started playing for Vitoria Setubal in their infant program.

13. JuveleoRules

JuveleoRules Member

Jun 8, 2002
    New Jersey, U.S.A.
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    PIO is correct...Makukula has represented Portugal in almost every age group.

He only considered going to represent Congo when it didn't look like he would get a call up to the Portuguese Senior Team.

14. BatatasFritas

BatatasFritas Member+

Nov 29, 2004
    Toronto
    Club:
    FC Porto
    So there are exceptions to citizenship? I always thought that being a citizen of a country makes you equal to all other citizens.

15. PassItOn

PassItOn New Member

Dec 29, 2004
    NJ
    I agree with the citizenship, my point his. Is his (Pepe) heart in it, like say a Portuguese player. I don't know about you, but everytime I hear the national anthem chills go through my body. Not that every player feels that, but the heart issue is concerns me.

16. BatatasFritas

BatatasFritas Member+

Nov 29, 2004
    Toronto
    Club:
    FC Porto
    I understand what you mean but we don't know what Pepe's true intentions are. Maybe his heart really is with Portugal or he is just thinking that playing for Portugal will guarantee him all the fame in the world and more markeable in Europe. We really don't know. I would wish that he did play for Brazil though because we have tons of Cental Defenders. We need a good Striker, why could we get one of those instead :D;)

17. PassItOn

PassItOn New Member

Dec 29, 2004
    NJ
    Men I'm loosing it, I totally agree with a tripeiro. :D

18. eurodad

eurodad Member+

Mar 15, 2005
    Brampton
    Bud, that is not healthy !!!! :eek::D

19. eurodad

eurodad Member+

Mar 15, 2005
    Brampton
    Even when we do agree with them, we never admit to it. Come on, are you knew. :D:D

20. PassItOn

PassItOn New Member

Dec 29, 2004
    NJ
    I know, I need to freshen up on my online course "Advanced Tripeiro Hating". :p

21. BatatasFritas

BatatasFritas Member+

Nov 29, 2004
    Toronto
    Club:
    FC Porto

Don't worry, I hear that you will be automatically enrolled in that course after Porto wins another league title ;)

22. Dan82

Dan82 Member

Feb 3, 2007
    Looks like he was on the scoresheet again today. He's now the leagues top goalscorer with 4 goals in 4 games.
    At this rate, he can end up having over 20 goals this season if he stays healthy.
    Portugal should start seriously looking at him as an option.

23. Joelzinho

Joelzinho Member

May 23, 2005
    Montreal!
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Unless he really blows up there is no point.

24. jec1

jec1 Member

Sporting Clube de Portugal
    Portugal
    Aug 27, 2004
    Los Angeles ATM
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    He is a good choice but I'd rather see hugo be given a chance.

We can't expect a miracle to happen to solidify our needs in the striker role. Maki is someone that might be in scolari's radar but well see.

25. CDSANTACLARA

CDSANTACLARA New Member

Jun 26, 2007
    Fall River, MA
    Makakula should play he is Portuguese and speaks it and loves it.

4 Goals in 4 games

Fabio Felicio needs a chance too class player