Making the game look easy

Discussion in 'Referee' started by Statesman, Nov 13, 2003.

1. Alberto

Alberto Member+

Feb 28, 2000
    Northern, New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Never underestimate the power (danger) of testosterone and a lack of maturity to create a volatile situation.

2. whistleblowerusa

whistleblowerusa BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jun 25, 2001
    U.S.A.
    Yes but we're talking a National assesment either for upgrade or retention. Youth games are not high enough for a National assessment. If the youth games counted we would have many many more Nationals.:^)

3. coastal22

coastal22 New Member

Nov 28, 2003
    I have been assessed 3 times on under 19 boy’s games and each has not been competitive enough. I was told that I was capable of a much higher level from one assessor. He also said he had seen me on other more challenging games while I was not being assessed so he could not count this game. I guess I should take that as a complement however its frustrating not to get theses assessments done I would really like to upgrade. Sorry just some frustration on the issue. Any thought does this happen to other Refs?

4. But Referee

But Referee New Member

Jun 16, 2003
    Keep in mind that it's a journey and not a desination. The purpose of an assessment is first and foremost for feedback (contrary to popular opinion). Far too many referees view the assessment as a pesky component of the upgrade process. Take solace in the fact that "you know that you know" that YOU can do the game at that level. The right game at the right time will come, and be excited that you feel that you're prepared!

5. billf

billf Member+

May 22, 2001
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why were you assessed by the same person three times? If you can handle the match, then why not count it for upgrade? I'm assuming this is for upgrade to seven, so why put up such a wall. If I were placed in that situation, I'd be rather frustrated and would contemplate hanging it up. I don't see why such a barrier should be placed if it is obvious the referee is clearly capable. It isn't the referee's fault if he is placed on a "dud" of a match. In the case above, I don't think the assessor is being fair if the purpose of the assessment is upgrade or, even when the referee isn't the one setting up the assessment, grade retention.

The pro level presents a similar issue. There are only so many games. If you are assigned two that are not so tough according to the assessments and only have two more on the schedule, you probably lost your badge solely because of the quality of the games you were assigned. If this culls the heard so to speak, maybe this isn't bad, but if I'm the national referee that has worked hard and made sacrifices over a number of years to get to that point, I'd feel cheated if I'm the one that's culled and it has nothing to do with my performance. Each assessor is going to have a different opinion of what is challenging.

The referee isn't the one setting up pro matches for assessment. He or she, is assigned a game that comes with an assessment, so he/she goes and does the best job possible. Failing because you had a bad match is one thing, but not counting an acceptable performance that is outside of the referee's control leaves the door open to a number of problems I think.