Alex Mendez @ FC Vizela

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by TheFalseNine, Jul 13, 2018.

1. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    These takes are always so random and lazy. I'd love for someone to do an actual high-number survey of players who don't suffer injury issues who are highly touted and set their career back "years" by fighting for an EPL or B1 slot rather than settling for a Champs or MLS (USL) or whatever. People just like to write sh*t I guess.

bsky22 and UniversalAdvice repped this.
  2. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Apparently he has better sense than that. I'm happy that he is speechless in English, not Spanish.

ChicagoVT repped this.
  3. Dr.Phil

Dr.Phil Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    -It was a transfer but I have not seen a fee yet.
    -Galaxy dont get anything becuase he left on a free transfer.
    -Ajax will have to pay him do to him being non EU

4. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000
    #129 luvdagame, Jul 30, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2019
    te kloese/galaxy must be steaming.

especially if the brothers kleiban get a cut - one of them is his agent, no?

isn’t that essentially money out of the galaxy coffers?

5. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He get's a big pay raise an gets to play in the 2nd division. Good deal.

6. HoustonUnited

HoustonUnited Member

Jul 27, 2009
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    DC United
    Well from an income standpoint...this is obviously a great move for Alex. If he had signed a home grown deal with MLS, no way does it get close to 200K/year

From a career standpoint...we'll see. Ajax is known for player development...and they develop a lot of great players...which is great, but it also makes breaking into their first team a dog fight. If he can do it...Wow...i think his style of play we'll fit in perfectly there. But if not, he could end up playing a few years on a U23 team in the second division.

I hope he kills it...and if he reaches his ceiling he could be a big time player there...but im still in wait and see mode on if he can break through.

...I agree with you though, that Matt Doyles take was wrong though, but for a different reason...Until this season, when they started giving minutes to Araujo, and Efra, the Galaxy didn't play their homegrowns. I think its a great change that they are playing some now, but when Mendez's (and Uly's) made their decision to leave...they were only getting USL minutes and had no example to point to and say, if i keep working hard I will get first team minutes... So the choice at the time was go play for a U-19 bundesliga team with a history of player development...or play for the Galaxy's U23 team in the USL, and maybe get some MLS minutes when you are 25... I think the Galaxy's old pathway was more "languishing" than what Mendez chose...but im glad the Galaxy have changed, and glad Mendez is in a good spot

7. TMBMiles

TMBMiles Member

Dortmund
    United States
    Mar 31, 2017
    Doyle's take being wrong had nothing to do with whether the Galaxy or anywhere else would be better for him. Or whether he ends up panning out as a high level player at all.

It was wrong because in mid-april, Mendez had been able to play games with Freiburg's U19's for a grand total of a couple months. Saying a kid is "stagnating" because he didn't walk into a Bundesliga's first team, mid-season, without spending a decent amount of time with their U19's- is sheer absurdity.

Not even McKennie did that.

bsky22 and UniversalAdvice repped this.
  8. felloveranddidanadu

Plymouth Argyle FC
    Dec 12, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Frogs
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Haha, too bad for him he had a big pimple on his forehead the day of the biggest photos of his life. Reminds me of my teens...always seemed to get pimples at the most inopportune time. I'm sure he's looking at the photos and thinking 'I wonder if I should get someone to photoshop that out.'

Pimples aside, excellent move all around. Very happy for him and excited to have an easier chance to watch him play.

9. Isnot there an app for that to prevent this kind of things for girls posting pictures on fakebook or instantgramm?

10. DirectK

DirectK Member

United States
    Jun 27, 2018
    So what kind of advice do we think Kleiban is giving him about his national team future?

WheezingUSASupport and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  11. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  12. chrome_vapors

chrome_vapors Member+

Oct 15, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is Brian not coaching at the moment?

13. Thundering165

Thundering165 Member+

North Carolina FC
    United States
    May 1, 2017
    Raleigh
    Did you miss his firing from LA?

14. chrome_vapors

chrome_vapors Member+

Oct 15, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes. What happened?

15. Thundering165

Thundering165 Member+

North Carolina FC
    United States
    May 1, 2017
    Raleigh
    Essentially, the word is LA brass did not like the fact that so many of his top kids were leaving the Galaxy and passing up contracts, particularly while his brother was their agent. They let him go and he has yet to settle in anywhere else.

chrome_vapors repped this.
  16. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    You can also say that the new management got mad that he and his bro were extremely unethical and kicked him out.

17. chrome_vapors

chrome_vapors Member+

Oct 15, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How has Brian acted unethically?

I get Gary acting as an agent for Galaxy players was extremely problematic and he's also an unapologetic dick on social media. What did Brian do?

18. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    There are no Brian and Gary. There is one BrianoGary and his shtick.

19. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [pedant]It’s pronounced differently.[/well, actually]

Winoman repped this.
  20. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    It would have been unethical for Alex's agent to have urged him to sign with a team who had no track record at the time of moving kids into the first team.

Word is that Brian is blackballed from MLS. Great to have one of our best coaches not coaching since we have so many great coaches in this country.

comoesa and Gacm32 repped this.
  21. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Have him coach your team then. So you can invest millions in youth development only for him and his brother to conspire to keep your team from reaping any of the benefits.

BTW, which MLS team do you root for?

22. ShaftBrewer

ShaftBrewer Member+

Jul 18, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    First Jong Ajax game is this Friday. There's a lot of competition in midfield so I doubt he'll get a start.

23. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    Hmmm.... The LAG havent reaped any rewards from players Brian developed or recruited? I'd think the team would be pretty happy with Alvarez and Araujo. It looks like Brian produced enough players for the Galaxy to still benefit. I doubt LAG knew how good of a coach he was and signed just because they would get his players.

MLS teams are obviously going to lose players to Europe. Who are RSL, FCD, NYRB, etc fans blaming for losing out on their prospects?

The decisions Mendez has made have been very much in his best interest. Blaming the Kleibans seems like the need to find a scapegoat and ignore why mendez, soto, ledezma, mckennie, Sargent, etc skipped MLS.

The only conspiring going on is MLS trying to eliminate competition and strengthen their monopoly.

24. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What club do you support?

Winoman repped this.