Alex Mendez @ FC Vizela

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by TheFalseNine, Jul 13, 2018.

1. DirectK

DirectK Member

United States
    Jun 27, 2018
    Mendez reportedly has attracted interest from Ajax and Real Madrid following his U-20 WC performance:

https://www.espn.com/soccer/major-l...mor-rater-long-leaving-for-the-premier-league

"A source said that Ajax and Real Madrid both scouted Mendez during the World Cup and that the interest from the Dutch giants in particular is legitimate. Mendez could see a run with Freiburg in preseason before potentially going out on loan. A move to Ajax, however, might be too good to pass up. It is still far-fetched and not certain, a source said, but the fact that Ajax seems genuinely interested (and has tabled an offer in the past) makes this one worth watching down the road."

2. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ajax would speed up his processing, maybe improve his defense/ball-winning. The latter is always going to be underwhelming because of a lack of physical tools, but he just needs to become adequate in that regard if he can move the ball quicker and w/ more precision w/in 10-15 yards. He's much better when he pops up well outside the box in a lot of space and can either pick out a long-range pass or shot. He needs a lot more than that to succeed.

3. kruck

kruck Member+

Jan 12, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Based off the U-20 WC he didn't seem like he had the physical tools to be successful at the highest levels of the modern game but what do I know?

4. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    #79 Dave Marino-Nachison, Jul 17, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2019
    Yeah, maybe he's not going to be a two-way monster, but with some sharpening on the ball and a willingness to put in consistent effort on defense I think you're still left with a package that a lot of clubs would be more than happy to work with.

Mendez can do amazing things with the ball, and as a natural lefty he automatically adds something different. I bet teammates love making runs for him. I don't see him as a luxury player, certainly, in terms of the fact that he's willing to cover ground on both offense and defense to the best of his ability.

I also suspect that every time he stands over a dead ball anywhere in the final third, the opposing goalie is seriously worried. That's valuable even if none of those plays come to anything.

5. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    Unless he is from Ecuador though.

6. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    A tweet summary of the story posted above... fwiw.

1151527731240325123 is not a valid tweet id

Winoman and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  7. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Well, Ajax (if reports are real) has a decent, but not perfect, track record in the "picking out talent" category.

sXeWesley repped this.
  8. twoolley

twoolley Member+

Jan 3, 2008
    Do you think James Rodriguez has way better physical tools than Mendez?

9. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They're somewhat better. May be enough of a difference to fell him if he doesn't improve substantially in the department or make his strengths outside his left foot a lot stronger.

10. twoolley

twoolley Member+

Jan 3, 2008
    I think you’re overall right there. I never watched James at Porto or prior as a youth player and I agree that getting that extra ounce of strength/balance and a touch of quickness is going to be important for Mendez.

I do think the comparison for James is sort of accurate though because James isn’t effective due to athleticism.

Gacm32 repped this.
  11. kruck

kruck Member+

Jan 12, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Sure, and even for them what percentage of Jong Ajax players ever become first team regulars? 10%?

I really don’t know but it cannot be much better than that and is probably less.

Obviously the kid has something, he has made it this far but I’m just of the opinion, based on my observations, his physical limitations will prevent him from succeeding at the highest level.

12. kruck

kruck Member+

Jan 12, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Certainly better. Not sure if “way” better. That phrasing makes it seem like a loaded question.

13. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    First team regulars on Ajax or first team regulars on an Ered team? % of Jong "players" is probably not super-high for promoting to sr. team regulars. But Jong "regulars" I bet it is not too shabby. We tend to remember the successful kids, so I'll go have a look, but I think the vast majority go on to very respectable pro careers (barring injury, of course.)

But this is all speculation based on a rumor anyway. He needs way more PT against GAM's to have a strong feeling one way or the other.

sXeWesley repped this.
  14. uniteo

uniteo Member+

Sep 2, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I believe the plural of GAM (grown ass man) is GAM (grown ass men)...readers responsibility to decipher.

15. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    The plural actually goes after the first word. It's "Growns-Ass Men," kind of like "all growns up."

TarHeels17, Eighteen Alpha and uniteo repped this.
  16. GiallorossiYank

GiallorossiYank Member+

Jan 20, 2011
    NJ/Roma/Napoli
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Alex needs first team minutes this season.

This season or his trajectory is way different.

17. twoolley

twoolley Member+

Jan 3, 2008
    Yeah kind of loaded, eh? But was a genuine question to see if there is a way for him to be successful without those traits.

18. kruck

kruck Member+

Jan 12, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Yea, I don't know. It seems like in 2019 most every player in the middle of the park needs to have a high work rate and good athletic ability. It feels as if the age of the silky smooth talented central midfielder who can get away without being a hard worker is over.

Just my thoughts on modern football in 2019 vis-a-vis the central midfield position.

19. SlyEli

SlyEli Member

United States
    Jun 25, 2017
    1153349300640014337 is not a valid tweet id

20. USSoccerNova

USSoccerNova Member+

Sep 28, 2005
    He's got some serious skill and is in a great place to work on the rest of his game. Very hopeful he pans out as he's a somewhat unique player in our pool.

And Zardes could absolutely hit that same pass, although in his case it would be the inadvertent result of his first touch.

21. Sizmik

Sizmik Member+

Dec 21, 2011
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FIFY

Winoman and USSoccerNova repped this.
  22. felloveranddidanadu

Plymouth Argyle FC
    Dec 12, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Frogs
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed-- Zardes has had the most astounding luck of any player I've seen. Either that or he's playing the game in some kind of Anti-Zlatan 4-D. Still the above is a very hard pass for his teammate to control. The technique and swerve were very cool but not enamored as much with the decision

sXeWesley, USSoccerNova and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  23. Sizmik

Sizmik Member+

Dec 21, 2011
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The decision? That’s an elite decision in my opinion. Not many players in the world see that and attempt it. He hits that ball perfectly and that guy has a free at the goal

24. uniteo

uniteo Member+

Sep 2, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great decision, he’s probably not happy with the execution - too much air under it and behind the run. You never learn to make that pass if you never try it.

25. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    I thought it would be "grown asses, man" but I can see now that might not be technically correct.

TheFalseNine repped this.