Make Copa America 4 year west hemisphere tournament

Discussion in 'Copa América Centenario 2016' started by olckicker, Jul 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Millos

Millos New Member

Jun 24, 2006
    Argentina
    No south american will accept any of these changes, so the discussion is pointless.

We want no merging, and no change in our cup. I could accept Mexico, and Mexico only because they're good, but nothing else and no other team.

2. Dan-ny-m398

Dan-ny-m398 Member

Aug 25, 2004
    Long Island NY
    Club:
    Olimpia Asuncion
    Nat'l Team:
    Paraguay

That is the mainstream feeling in all South America.

3. Tigerpunk

Tigerpunk Member+

Jun 17, 2004
    It's the world cup, and the ban wouldn't be permanent, only sufficient to make sure that UEFA realizes that it cannot blackmail FIFA, or ignore its directives.

FIFA is a powerful, powerhungry, and vindictive organization.

4. leg_breaker

leg_breaker Member

Dec 23, 2005
    Only powerful as long as they have the money. If Uefa is kicked out and the World Cup turns into a Copa America 'Enhanced', then Fifa becomes poor and powerless.

Then we invite Argentina and Brazil to the European Championships, and Fifa dies.

5. XaviandXabi

XaviandXabi Member

May 4, 2005
    CT
    imo, this past copa america is much more entertaining then the euro2004, probably was because it isnt as perstigise makes it so good where the pressure to win it isnt so great so teams play attacking

6. M

M Member+

Feb 18, 2000
    Via Ventisette
    UEFA effectively controls all the purse strings in this. Not only is the EC now a huge financial success, but also a WC without European teams would be a financial disaster for FIFA given that the vast majority of TV rights come from European countries. FIFA may be stupid, but they're not stupid enough to attempt to pull the EC rug from underneath UEFA.

7. Mosco

Mosco Member+

Dec 1, 2004
    Sun Valley, CA
    Re: New format about COPA AMERICA

I really like what you said Millos without any ignorance like Chileaan dude. But that would be cool to have a copa america tournament with north, south america and even the carribean even if Brazil or Argentina don't take their A team it still is good competition for any team. Gives those players oppertunity that didn't get to go the world cup with their national team.

8. Pike

Pike Member

Arsenal | Hertha Berlin | Brest 29
    United States
    Jun 3, 2000
    New Orleans Born | Shanghai
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I do not know what threads you have been reading on this issue, but most of the people (as far as I could tell) I have debating this issue with are non- Europeans.

Pike

9. Mosco

Mosco Member+

Dec 1, 2004
    Sun Valley, CA

lol jajajaja

10. Su-35

Su-35 New Member

Jul 10, 2006

They are trying to make it a 16 team tournament if all the stadiums are built for it, they also want to invite european teams, they invited Spain but they declined, dont know how many more.

11. Pingudo

Pingudo New Member

Nov 18, 2003
    Santa Cruz
    Club:
    FC Barcelona

They were also talking to Portugal, Italy, Korea and Japan, don't know if any of them have declined.

12. elciclon

elciclon New Member

Mar 12, 2005
    BOEDO
    Club:
    CA San Lorenzo de Almagro
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

as an argentinean i would really like a 16 team tournament with 6 from concacaf, have them do a little qualifier. it would really help the soccer in and we could see countries like us and mexico host it the cup. this is going to help the competition as well as the countries in both federations. after all its copa america right.

13. Su-35

Su-35 New Member

Jul 10, 2006

Obviously I care more about the event than the sport, but having some big time Euro teams would be a big plus specially those with communities in Venezuela like Italy, Spain and Portugal (when Italy won the contingent could be seen partying all night).

Here is a link to the stadiums thread
    https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?t=280106&page=5

14. Mibu Clan

Mibu Clan New Member

Jul 4, 2006
    Bogota

Nah... leave it as it is, its a good way for teams to either experiment players (Brasil, Argentina, Colombia, Uruguay, Paraguay) and others to consolidate their team for the qualifiers... (Bolivia, Ecuador, Venezuela, Chile, Peru)

I personally enjoy it like that...

15. bobo81

bobo81 Member

Nov 17, 2005
    Ciudad De Dios

I heard Saudi Arabia was trying to get in this...Anyone hear the same?

16. Mosco

Mosco Member+

Dec 1, 2004
    Sun Valley, CA

you can't be serious!:D

17. Lime-ade

Lime-ade New Member

May 31, 2006

Why not the 10 CONMEBOL teams and whoever made it to the previous WC hex in CONCACAF? SA keeps its tradition and NA has to get in on merit. 4 groups of 4. Great tournament.

18. Mosco

Mosco Member+

Dec 1, 2004
    Sun Valley, CA

As long as Mexico is included thats all that matters to me by way were is this copa america goig to be played last I heard Mexico??

19. fox3c

fox3c New Member

Jul 5, 2003
    Kentucky

Because Africa has enough population and countries to support its own major tournament, while unfortunately North America does not. For that matter, One could question whether South America has enough countries to support its own major tournament.

Copa America is really an odd tournament when compared to the Euros,the African Nations cup, or the Asian Cup. It's kind of like the scottish league with only 12 teams (not including the invites/guests of course). I think i'll start a championship between me and, say, four of my friends just to give myself a trophy. How exactly will increased competition hurt South American teams, particularly those beyond Argentina and Brazil?

The Americas should be integrated as one region, in the long-term, to boost the sport anyway. Mostly similar time zones, travel that is not any farther than some of the African or Asian travel, and whole lot of money to be made with a few primetime matchups between Mexico-Argentina or US-Brazil (insert jokes about US team here, doesn't matter to the Confed bosses, they'll see is $$$).

20. Lime-ade

Lime-ade New Member

May 31, 2006
    The US finished 4th in the 1995 Copa America.

Winning their group, which included Argentina by the way, beating them 3-0, then Mexico in the quarters. And losing to Brazil 1-0 in the semis.

The US have only been to two Copa Americas yet they have more semi-final appearances than Venezuela and the same number as Ecuador.

You don't have to want the tournament to change but you can't site competitive value as a reason to keep the US or Mexico out.

21. Kaiser

Kaiser New Member

Nov 12, 2000
    dark side of the moo
    I had chile for dinner the other night and it made me p0oP! :D

22. dcsundevil2002

Apr 20, 2006
    Ashburn, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just read this entire thread and I really got lost trying to understand how this started as a suggestion to have the Copa America held every 4 years and to have 16 teams, to move to a Euro-bashing fest!

I think the best idea I saw was to have the Copa America move to a 4 year cycle, in line with the Euro Championships. Expand the tournament to 16 nations. Those 16 nations would consist of the following -

- All 10 CONMEBOL Nations.
    - 6 CONCACAF Nations

The CONMENBOL nations all qualify, as it is their tournament to begin with.

The 6 CONCACAF nations qualify by use of the same qualifying structure CONCACAF uses for the World Cup, just started about 18 months before the start of the Copa America. Once we get the 6 nations, (hex) they are added to the Copa draw. Then the tournament is scheduled as it is.

Have the 2007 tournament go forth, as the plans are in motion. Then hold off and have the next tournament take place in 2012, in Mexico (assuming the rumor of them getting the 2009 tournament is true).

I think the ecomonics of this idea would work. having a 4 year build up would be good, and having the US marketing interest would add the amount of cash splashed around for the hosts.

Just an idea, thought I would share it.

23. elciclon

elciclon New Member

Mar 12, 2005
    BOEDO
    Club:
    CA San Lorenzo de Almagro
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    this is how it should be, if it can become interesting it would fill in the whole of having to wait for the world cup. sure brazil/argentina arent going to take their a squad but it'll make it more intersenting and it'll defenetly help out concacaf's level of play (as well as that of conmebol)l

24. olckicker

olckicker Member

Jan 30, 2001
    Exactly! A Quadrennial Copa America could potentially be as exciting and profitable as the Euros. As I said in my original post when teams fail in World Cup they could look forward to Copa America or vice versa -- the equivalent happens with UEFA teams who don't have time to dwell on their failures.

25. dcsundevil2002

Apr 20, 2006
    Ashburn, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I realized I missed a point to make.

As the 2007 Copa should be held as scheduled, either CONMEBOL increase that tournament to 16, adding 4 CONCACAF nations of their choosing, or they keep that tournament to 12 and have Mexico and Costa Rica play as currently scheduled. The USA missed the boat, no sense in trying to change this tournament this late in the calendar.