make a list of national dishes/drinks around the world

Discussion in 'Food & Travel' started by Excape Goat, Feb 8, 2008.

1. Frieslander

Frieslander Member
    Staff Member

Feb 14, 2000
    North Jersey
    my mother's family always called that "pot eten" while my father's family called it "stomp pot" I've never had it with bacon, but usually with jonge gouda melted in. I'm lucky enough to have a butcher in my town that still sells something close to metwurst... he calls it metwurst anyway.

2. JeremyEritrea

JeremyEritrea Member+

Jun 29, 2006
    Takoma Park, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. fidlerre

fidlerre Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Central Ohio
    You've met your first - my wife is Canadian and her parents are Dutch - her mom made it once for me and now, every winter I make it about 5 or 6 times throughout the winter in my slow cooker. So fantastic!
    It's fantastic on toast with a little bit of butter...

That and "Vruchten Hagel" in the exact same way.
    "Stamppot" has carrots in it, at least that is my wife's way - they also call it "Hutspot"

What about "Appelflappen" - love that stuff! Yumm. Or Oliebollen...

Of course the best Dutch thing...

[​IMG]

Kokindjes

4. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    Metworst!

I've had cheese with 'stampot andijvie' (mash pot endive) but I wouldn't dare put it on curly kale!

5. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    There are loads of stampot varieties. The curly kale one is the most popular I reckon, followed by Hutspot - that's with carrots and apple, traditionally! My fave is the one with raw endive mixed in. Funny to know that there are people across the pond who know what kokindjes are, btw. We're addicted to the stuff, or any class of licorice really, over here as you probably know.

6. malby

malby Member+

Liverpool FC
    Republic of Ireland
    May 11, 2004
    Rep of Ireland
    Club:
    Drogheda United
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    All the things you listed Neeskens and you left out hash cakes, for shame.

7. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    They're an international tourist dish!

8. fidlerre

fidlerre Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Central Ohio
    I was always a licorice fan prior to my wife's family - but when they turned me on to kokindjes, DZs, etc I was hooked - I order them from an on-line Dutch grocery because we don't have any stores that carry them here in Ohio. I do sometimes get them when we visit her family in Ottawa from a Dutch Grocery up there.

9. AMERICANS SC

AMERICANS SC New Member

Feb 1, 2005
    That seems AWESOME!

I have tried squid in its ink in a few different styles, but never Venetian. It's on my to do list.

10. Matrim55

Matrim55 Member+

Aug 14, 2000
    Berkeley
    Club:
    Connecticut
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    New York pizza is overrated - there are dozens of places in Connecticut that are better than anything in New York. The best is Pepe's in New Haven:

[​IMG]

New York should be better known for pastrami sandwiches, cole slaw, hot dogs and non-pizza Italian food.

11. Matrim55

Matrim55 Member+

Aug 14, 2000
    Berkeley
    Club:
    Connecticut
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Best pastrami in the world is Katz's:

[​IMG]

And of course Nathan's Hot Dogs:

[​IMG]

Plus some spaghetti and meatballs:

[​IMG]

The thing to remember about authentic New York cuisine is that in large part the traditional recipes come from the poor/working class, so unless you're going to a specifically high end restaurant, you're best off keeping it simple.

12. Matrim55

Matrim55 Member+

Aug 14, 2000
    Berkeley
    Club:
    Connecticut
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If there was a consummate regional dish of New England, it would be Maine lobster:

[​IMG]

Or maybe fried clam strips:

[​IMG]

13. Matrim55

Matrim55 Member+

Aug 14, 2000
    Berkeley
    Club:
    Connecticut
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My guess is that there's also a lot of great Portuguese food in southeastern Mass/Rhode Island, but I've not spent a lot of time there. Best guess, tho, is Caldo Verde (potato and kale soup) with either clams or chorizo:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. Matrim55

Matrim55 Member+

Aug 14, 2000
    Berkeley
    Club:
    Connecticut
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And once you get off the coast of New England you're really in the backwoods, i.e. "hunter" country. Lots of venison primarily - which means jerky!

[​IMG]

And yes, I'm encouraging all of you to post pictures and recipes for your favorite dishes.

15. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    That crap they shovel out in Chicago ain't pizza. Don't even get me started on California "pizza."

16. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    NJ - Texas wieners & Taylor ham, egg & cheese sandwiches on a roll.

17. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Since everyone is talking about Pizza, we should note that Pizza should be considered Neapolitan cuisine.

18. The Biscuitman

The Biscuitman Member+

Jul 4, 2007
    Club:
    Reading FC
    England would be the classic Sunday roast......though anyone making one without Yorkshire puddings should be shot!

Toad in the hole is also a popular dish here

[​IMG]

Cornish pasty is one of my personal favourites (though I am biased as I am half Cornish!) but don't be fooled into thinking you have had one unless it was actually from cornwall, cooked that day and doesn't come in a wrapper.

[​IMG]

and then there's fish & chips.......

[​IMG]

19. bungadiri

bungadiri Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here's a vote for classic southern fried chicken, using a fresh bird, with mustard and garlic in the batter. It's got to be fried so well that the skin snaps when you bite into it and yet the meat is still tender. We eat ours with green beans and tomatoes, mashed (or boiled and buttered new) potatoes and sweetened iced tea.

20. Funkfoot

Funkfoot Member+

May 18, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    For southern Louisiana, it would be gumbo. Lots of different varieties (depends on what you caught or ran over that day!) and, of course, different versions of every variety you could think of. Probably the most popular is "seafood" gumbo, made with smoked sausage, shrimp, crabs, oysters and okra (and a bunch of other stuff), served over a scoop of rice. The crabs are cleaned, broken in half and thrown in the pot; the oysters are shucked.

21. Ash II

Ash II New Member

Jul 23, 2004
    In a madhouse
    Bacon and cabbage
    Irish stew
    Soda bread.

22. Crimson Ace

Crimson Ace Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 4, 2003
    McKinney, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Ohio River Valley in the United States (Southern Indiana, Southern Illinois, Western Kentucky) has a stew/soup called Burgoo. Once the weather turns in early Fall, burgoo is cold-weather dish of choice that's usually made outside with a group of friends... while consuming large quantities of alcohol. In a bit of a wierd twist, a 2X4 piece of lumber is always the only option for stirring your large pot of burgoo.

The Hilltop Inn (located in Evansville, Indiana) is the standard bearer for the world's best burgoo!

23. fidlerre

fidlerre Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Central Ohio
    How about Canada...mostly stuff from the Quebec side but:

[​IMG]
    Smoked Meat Sandwich

[​IMG]
    Poutine; french fries topped with cheese curds and brown gravy.

24. freerunner1

freerunner1 New Member

Apr 10, 2008
  25. Red Jeph

Red Jeph Member+

Aug 26, 2006
    Chicago
    New Yorkers are always so defensive about pizza... insecurity I suppose. ;)

Anyway...

Chicago-style dog

[​IMG]