Review: Major League Soccer Livestrong Sporting Park can set the bar for clubs worldwide

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by Fiosfan, Oct 26, 2012.

1. Fiosfan

Fiosfan Red Card

Mar 21, 2010
    Nevada
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]
    Major League Soccer
    Livestrong Sporting Park can set the bar for clubs worldwide
    I wish we can say this about Revs and DCU real real soon.
    Now get that 100 million TV contract and take us to the next level.

vividox and patilluky repped this.
  2. patilluky

patilluky Member

Oct 2, 2011
    Getafe spain
    Club:
    Getafe CF
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    In Spain the level of football is more than the MLS does not want to open a debate but i would say that, in football we have the best level of the leagues in the world. However in terms of assistance the MLS has much to teach to the League right now that the attendance each year are lower,the Spanish crisis along with the high price of the tickets make people not go to the stadiums and neither CRistiano nor Messi already fill the fields.

Fiosfan repped this.
  3. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well the USA has always been the leader in terms of stadium quality, many people give credit to the closed system since teams can invest their money (and the tax payers money) on building nice stadiums. I know players unions do not want to hear this but there is a benefit for keeping player wages at about 50% of revenue, it allows teams to invest on game day experience for the fans.

patilluky repped this.
  4. profiled

profiled Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 7, 2000
    slightly north of a mile high
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Yeah when you take away a huge financial black hole as a possibility (relegation) it's a lot easier to splash the cash on things (i.e. Cowboys stadium, Sporting KC (not that they're on the same level, but they've both taken a baseline stadium and improved them with lots of "extras)).

5. troutseth

troutseth Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Houston, TX
    That is a VERY fair point. It does beg the question as to why relegation still exists though? Understanding it is now ingrained in the sports culture in many places, the original reasons for its creation have long since gone by the wayside. One wonders, for at least mid - level teams, how much the relegation fear plays into their financial decisions in every aspect including stadium growth/expansion.

6. ManuSooner

ManuSooner Member+

Nov 15, 2007
    Oklahoma City
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was at Livestrong for the US-Guatemala match. I was VERY impressed with the stadium, the atmosphere, the surrounding area. Everything! I'm REALLY not trying to bash anyone, but going to Livestrong made me see what places like FCD Stadium COULD have been. I'm glad FCD have a stadium, but I think that SKC now have the best stadium in MLS . Granted, I haven't been to BBVA yet. It looks great on TV, though. And we will see what SJ's stadium looks like when it's finished. But everything at Livestrong made it a great place to go for a match.

7. aosthed

aosthed Member

Jul 16, 2004
    40º30' N 111º52' W
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    I've only been to RSL's stadium (Rio Tinto) and HDC for MLS games. I think both are top notch stadiums.

Since I haven't been to Livestrong, is there anyone who has been to either Rio Tinto or HDC and can give their opinion on how it compares to those two? (about the same? or is the new one *clearly* better? or ???)

8. ManuSooner

ManuSooner Member+

Nov 15, 2007
    Oklahoma City
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've been to HDC. It's a great soccer stadium too. It has a larger capacity thatn Livestrong, and the atmosphere is top notch. But I think I still have to give the edge, IMHO, to Livestrong.

9. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I've been to both LiveStrong Park and Home Depot Center (not to Rio Tinto) as a visitor for Quakes matches.

At LiveStrong Park, the stands are closer to the action, so that is a definite plus compared with HDC, which left too much room between the sidelines and the stands, in my view.

Also, the collection of home support in the Cauldron creates a louder and more intimidating atmosphere than in HDC. Finally, and most significantly, the atmosphere of attending a game at LSP for a visiting fan is enhanced by the numerous and sizeable tailgates, which are the best I've encountered around the league, whereas HDC discourages tailgating altogether.

HDC is better landscaped (nothing beats a palm-tree-laden main entrance and adjoining practice fields surrounded by bougainvillea), as well as being better located, a short drive from the ocean. But both stadia are in rather desultory locales.

Notably, both LSP and HDC allow the visitor section to begin close to field level, which commends them over CenturyLink and Jeld-Wen (and even Buck Shaw), which segregate away fans high and away from the action. (Buck Shaw is redeemed because even the furthest seat is close to the action, and because there are public places where anyone can watch from field level regardless of their ticket.)

profiled and bowlingballhead repped this.