Major League Lacrosse

Discussion in 'Business and Media' started by Lone Star, Aug 5, 2002.

1. jotadia

jotadia New Member

Jun 21, 2001
    Miami
    Club:
    Atletico Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Would you say getting the hockey team in Columbus affected attendance at Crew games?

2. Baracuda

Baracuda Member

Feb 17, 2002
    Portland Oregon
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Arena football has an advantage on all those sports who hope to be the 5th major sport in the US. The arena league and the NFL are now affiliated somehow. I believe its partnership with the NFL will give it some credibility and will help in it's growth.

3. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Uh, Ben? I'm talking about The Game of the Week, as in The one game of the Week, the Fox Game of the Week, which normally gets 3's in roughly the same time slots as NASCAR races, making it apples and apples. Not the ESPN/Fox Sports Southwest/YES Network "dozens" of games on per week in the USA.

Postseason televised baseball is one of the most highly-priced commodities. Fox only bought the whole nut so they could have postseason baseball to promote their primetime lineups, not so they could run Saturday afternoon baseball games that get 3's.

4. BenReilly

BenReilly New Member

Apr 8, 2002
    The post-season is but a small portion of the baseball television revenues (Fox being one source). You really need to study this a little bit.

There is no ONE game of the week. Fox shows one game, but most people have access to games every day, especially their local team. To compare one Fox game with the ONLY Nascar race is truly apples and oranges (actually it's apples and something far different). Who needs to watch the Fox game when their own team is playing a few hours later on TV? If they called it "game of the century" would that be even more confusing?

Baseball is by far the #2 TV sport in America by every measure even if you ignore the post-season. Not to side with the players, but baseball brings in so much f-ing money (again, from the regular season), it's ming boggling. Some of this income is hidden. For example, the Braves, which get ratings of 1.6 for 90 games, many of which are competing with other baseball games at the same time.

5. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    First off, I don't believe I made any comparisons to the popularity of NASCAR versus baseball. I know baseball is number two. The fact is that NASCAR network ratings are higher than regular-season baseball network ratings. I'm not saying, nor did I say, that NASCAR was more popular than baseball, only that its network ratings are higher.

No, sh**, Sherlock. That wasn't the point, either. Local television revenue does dwarf national television revenue (the two New York teams, in fact, combined for 18% of baseball media revenue themselves). But that wasn't what we were talking about.

Here, I'll put it in bold type for you: Fox spent a billion dollars on baseball to get the postseason because, while its ratings are down, it still wins its timeslots handily and gives the network a chance to promote its prime-time programming. It's not to get regular-season baseball, that's a necessary evil.

You've been here all of what, four months? My advice to you is to lose the attitude.

6. BenReilly

BenReilly New Member

Apr 8, 2002
    You make a terribly misleading comment and now get defensive/hostile when faced with the obvious informed response. Of course Fox didn't spend over a billion to show a tiny fraction of regular season baseball.

BTW, the Yanks and Mets aren't really at 18% because of all the hidden revenues like the Braves and Cubs.

I hear over and over that baseball ratings are low when the NFL is the only sports entitly in the universe making more money from television. It's just that not everyone is watching the same game and the same time. If you know all this, good.