Mail Order and Customs

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by ManUtd R16, Nov 9, 2003.

1. ManUtd R16

ManUtd R16 New Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Berkeley, CA
    I know this out of topic, but I do need your help -- all of you who have mail ordered from UK.

I ordered 2 jerseys worth $115 from KitBag recently, and guess what, DHL just sent me a bill charging $25 dollars for customs duty. It's 17% + 5 dollars processing fee. This is complete bullsh!t. Has this happened to any of you? This is not the first time I've bought from Europe and they've never taxed me before. Do you know if I can dispute this?

2. Fatsnbul

Fatsnbul Member

Oct 21, 2003
    Prospect, Kentucky
    DHL

Now that Kitbag runs the Megastore online, this just happened to me as well. This is strictly DHL's doing. I use to get my stuff regular mail. But now they do not give you that option. I guess with overnight delivery, customs fees come into play. Maybe we should call DHL and complain that no other deliverers are charging. Maybe the will rethink their position, but I doubt it. We should also complain to Kitbag and tell them that we will use other vendors until this is rectified.

3. Lancashire Lad

Lancashire Lad New Member

Nov 5, 2002
    Lancashire
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Didnt think you would pay VAT (17.5%). We pay VAT(sales tax). But I suppose you are buying things here. Surely the megastore sale covers all necessary fees, so that there are no extra charges?

4. Motterman

Motterman Member

Jul 8, 2002
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: DHL

I was at the online Megastore and I'm not sure it's still run by Kitbag.

www.manutd.com

5. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
  6. ManUtd R16

ManUtd R16 New Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Berkeley, CA
    No, we don't pay VAT if we're not UK residents. However, the fee I was charged is US customs duty paid to the U.S. government, and the purchaser of the goods is responsible for paying that.

On a side note, I'll be visiting UK this Christmas and I heard that the VAT that I was charged during the stay, I can get a refund after I come back. 17.5%! And I thought California's 8.5% sales tax is high . . .

7. Motterman

Motterman Member

Jul 8, 2002
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: Re: DHL

Yeah, I was hopeful that it had changed back, but after sending an e-mail to customer service for the Megastore and not hearing back - it's pretty clear who's still in charge. :(

8. Lancashire Lad

Nov 5, 2002
    Lancashire
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    You sure you can get a refund on your VAT during your stay.

We dont pay VAT on everything somethings are zero rated, but number of those items are always being reduced.

All our prices which include VAT are included within the price, so you dont notice it. Seem to remember in florida you have to add tax on, might be wrong about that.

Get your pounds :D Dont like Euros, only for Foreigners :D

9. Achtung

Achtung Member

Jul 19, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You can get a VAT refund, but there is a minimum charge, I think something like £50, though it might have changed. That meaning £50 on a single purchase. So don't expect to buy a tube of toothpaste and get a refund. ;)

Yeah, in fact everywhere in the US the posted prices don't include tax. So something that has a tag saying $4.99 is actually 4.99+x% tax. Kind of annoying that its done that way, but we live with it.

10. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    Re: Re: Re: Re: DHL

Forget about them already. There is a nice store located in the colonies who can get anything you need. :)

11. Lancashire Lad

Nov 5, 2002
    Lancashire
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: DHL

What Canada? :D

12. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: DHL

The other colonies silly! :)
    New Amsterdam has a shope where you can get any football related item you need. Unfortunately they are considered traitors to the BS cause..... so only a PM will do!