magicJack terminated?

Discussion in 'NWSL' started by EyesOnBall, Oct 27, 2011.

1. Norsk Troll

Norsk Troll Member+

Sep 7, 2000
    Central NJ
    You do realize, I hope, that the NBA subsidizes the WNBA because six of the franchises are owned by the NBA owners in the same town, and play in the same arenas (which are sometimes also owned by the NBA owner). WNBA was formed to fill the arenas with basketball while the men were out of season, just like Baseball tried to do in forming soccer leagues back in the earlier 20th Century.

MLS could do the same thing - form a women's league - but that's not the same as subsidizing the WPS, which are an entirely unrelated group of owners. And they're off season would be November to April - not conducive to a successful women's outdoor league filling their venues like the WNBA does.

2. Beau Dure

Beau Dure Member+

May 31, 2000
    Vienna, VA
    Nice historical shoutout! Love it!

3. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can you cite a source for the contention that baseball formed soccer leagues back in the earlier 20th Century? I've been trying to find a good source of information about the early days of soccer in the US. I know there were soccer leagues in the earlier part of the 20th Century. And I believe I have read somewhere that they shared fields with baseball. But my understanding has been that baseball ultimately set out to, and did, kill professional soccer for a substantial period of time. I don't know if that's true, and I'd like to find out about the entire era.

4. StevieBeat

StevieBeat Member

Apr 9, 2011
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Ella Masar has posted a blog entry that should shed some light on the mJ situation (and also her mysterious unexplained disappearance mid-season).

5. Beau Dure

Beau Dure Member+

May 31, 2000
    Vienna, VA
    "Soccer in a Football World," by Dave Wangerin. The definitive U.S. soccer history. (And I say that as someone who wrote a soccer history myself.)

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Soccer-Football-World-Americas-Forgotten/dp/1592138853"]Amazon.com: Soccer in a Football World: The Story of America's Forgotten Game (Sporting) (9781592138852): David Wangerin: Books[/ame]

6. Norsk Troll

Norsk Troll Member+

Sep 7, 2000
    Central NJ
  7. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks, Beau. I'll get it and read it ASAP.

8. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    likely not possible in some cities. One of the MLS goals has been to build stadiums in urban density areas. Looking at the Timbers good neighbor agreement with the City of Portland (which owns the stadium) there are a very limited number of additional dates the team ownership can have any kind of events so as not to be a burden to the surrounding residential community.

The current agreement is for an average of 6 additional revenue events per year beyond the league schedule, with a maximum of 10 events in any one year over the life of the agreement, which is in the 6-10 year range. These events include concerts and high profile friendliest (boca jrs, West Brom, Barça, recently, or National team gigs like the Women's victory tour) The only exception I think is a charity event or two each year. The Timbers also share the site with Portland State University and several Urban High Schools who play football there in the fall, which further restricts the dates.

Those 6 dates are revenue events which sold out the stadium. I doubt they would trade those for a women's league, whatever its promise. The Timbers are a success in large part because of the stadium location, but the location comes with baggage.

This probably isn't an issue in places like Salt Lake, but I bet it is some other Urban areas.

9. SolAlive

SolAlive New Member

May 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Sol
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ella Masar: No More Silence
    Yesterday I tweeted this:

Hard news to hear today about WPS. If we only knew last off-season what we knew today. Pride is a dangerous weapon

And then someone responded with this.

@emasar3 Yes, you should have said something while it was going on with Dan the man, you turned your back on your team mates. Pride? Are you feeling guilty you did not back your teammates that were being badly treated? By your paymaster?#money

I immediately became infuriated. How dare someone say that to me after my time spent there. Yet, after I calmed down, I realized I never really told my side of the story.

No more silence.

Now that my nose surgery is paid off and Dan has no grip on my career, I feel it is time for me to really speak and explain what just happened down in Florida with me.

You are going to have to bear with me, it can get confusing with the timeline, and I will try my best…

I remember it like it was yesterday.

It was mid July and we were all (MagicJack) sitting in our locker room. Dan had called a meeting to give us our options with the grievance being filed earlier in the week.

Of course, he did not show up. He just relayed his “dirty work” to some of the girls on the team and gave us two options:

1) Disagree with the grievance and tell the league that we stand by him.

Or

2) Agree with the grievance and he will pull the plug on our team and the season is over.

Side note:

At this point in time Dan was pointing a lot of fingers to different girls on the team to see who exactly started the grievance. Fortunately, for us, he had pissed off ONE too many girls and could not single anyone out. He sent one too many emails or said to the girls one too many times, call me “Daddy.” I wish I were kidding.

Some of us also asked the lawyers of the league what the worse case scenario would be if we did decide to stand up to Dan (finally). We were reassured that it would survive the remainder of the year. That is the ONLY reason that any of us would have sucked it up and stood by Dan. We refused to be the reason of ending someone else’s dream.

Even to this day, I still do not understand how there were mixed feelings about the grievance. Because we, as a team, had had numerous meetings about standing up to Dan and telling him how could not treat us the way he did. I am telling you, every SINGLE woman in that locker room (that day) had approached me at one point or another saying that they did not want to come back. That NO amount of money was worth being there.

Yet, when push came to shove and they were actually faced with this decision, somehow that all got lost in the background. Funny how that works…

Anyway, back on track.

So as we were sitting there facing our options, feeling that fear that Dan could pull the plug on us and collapse the league I raised my hand and said, I am sorry, I can’t stand by Dan, no matter what.

Not even 5 to 10 minutes later, I received a text saying I had two options.

“Go home and get your nose fixed or be traded.”

I read it out loud to the team and walked out of the locker room.

The next thing I knew I was on the beach crying my eyes out. Yes, I know, I can be dramatic but I can’t explain the feeling I had. So many questions arose; so many scenarios went through my mind, who had turned their back on me, on the team, who was the snitch. How could this happen? How could I be blamed for something he did, who betrayed me? I thought all I had done was stand up for my teammates and fight for what was right.

We were all on the same page; we all had decided to stand up against Dan yet there I sat alone. I am not saying that there were not girls that had my back, I am just saying it only takes one or two to whisper the right thing for things to take a turn for the worst.

After hours on the beach I went back to my apartment, packed up EVERYTHING and was on a flight back to Chicago the next morning.

Side note: My nose

A month earlier I suffered a kick in the nose. As soon as the game was over I knew that I needed to go get it checked out. I told our chiropractor because Dan did not believe in an Athletic trainer and he said he could not re set it.

He told Dan that I needed to go to the hospital, so Dan put me in his car and said we were going to the local hospital. Long story short, we never made it to the hospital. He took me to dinner with his “boys” and then I was with him for 2 more days until we met up with the girls in Atlantic City.

Why I never went, I still do not understand.

Then for the next month I was telling him I needed to get my nose checked out. When I went back to Chicago, for the world cup break, I made my own doctor’s appointment to see what exactly was wrong. The doctor told me that I needed surgery but she needed an MRI first to see the extent of the damage.

Well when I called Dan to tell him this, he said he didn’t want me to get one and to come back to Florida. That he would take care of me there. . . .. I NEVER got taken care of.

Only a month later, when I was “released, ” was I able to come home and set up an MRI appointment.

Chicago:

So. I fly back to Chicago the next day, and start to weight my options. After scrambling around finding an MRI, talking to two different doctors, I was told I definitely needed surgery because my left nostril had collapsed. However, after further discussion and with me explaining my situation the doc said she could give me a steroid to try to give me some relief and allow me to finish the season.

After lots of prayer, many conversations with my family, I told Dan I wanted to be traded. I was not going to let this man tell me my season was over. Not after everything I had been through down there. Western New York and Philly became very interested and both offered Dan trades.

Dan not only denied them both but also decided he wanted me back. Abby called me from the World Cup, the day before the finale asking me to come back, and Dan told me that he had made a mistake.

I still told them no…… well I did until the USA woman lost.

Throughout the season I had come pretty close to some of them. Dan was refusing to trade me and said that I was either done or could come back to Florida.

So, my heart, said you know what, some of these girls deserve a championship. I am going to do everything in my power to help them.

Florida:

I land in Florida a week later.

The US girls are back, Abby is named our coach, and my hell starts.

I realize now that Dan never wanted me back to help the team. He wanted me back to make an example of me. To show everyone that he was in control.

I sat the bench for the next 6 weeks. I am, by no means, saying that the people on the field did not deserve to be there. I am just saying that I thought I at least deserved a chance to play. IF I didn’t start, pas grave, but as a forward I felt I deserved some/any minutes to play and help the team. I went from starting, playing every game to not a minute.

Tears still come to my eyes thinking of the nights of running behind the field after each game wondering why. Asking God how could any of this be fair, how could I be so blind? The pain of watching the thing I loved and worked so hard for be turned into a joke.

The bottom line is that I should have never gone back. I should never have let my heart make that decision to try to help the girls win and I paid dearly for it.

I lost some pretty good friends down in Magic Jack land and was tested beyond what I thought (then, not now) I could take. I saw some things that I will never forget and finally understood the dark side of money.

And I’ll tell you this . . .

If you asked me if I could have all the money, all the accolades, the biggest contracts, but turn into some of the people I experienced in my 2011 season. I would say NEVER in my life.

Because this is what I know.

Records are set to be broken. That’s why they were made. They were made because someone did something incredible but have no doubt, someone else will come along to set the bar just that much higher. It’s not the World Cup’s won, the goals scored, or your net worth that people remember in 10, 20, 30 plus years, its YOU.

It’s what YOU stood for; it’s YOUR legacy. Your heart, your hard work, your integrity, your professionalism, and your dedication are what people will be able to tell their children NOT the dollar sign.

Throughout this whole experience I know that I kept my integrity. I, by no means, did what was right all the time but at the end of the day I know I stood for what I believed. That no amount of money, no amount of a bribe, or a poker chip could take me away from what I felt in my heart.

And Dan, I hope you are happy. Congratulations you won. You get to protect your “friends.” I just hope one day you can look back at and see this for what it was really worth.

Money can buy friendships but it can’t buy loyalty. I wish you could have seen what really happened and was said about you especially from those who you thought were on your side. Least you knew from the one’s you let go and myself the truth of what everyone else was saying.

I hope the money was worth it. . .

10. Lloyd Heilbrunn

Lloyd Heilbrunn Member+

Feb 11, 2002
    Jupiter, Fl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wait, so we have a professional athlete who takes over a month to get an injury checked out because her owner would not drive her to the doctor or hospital?

Seriously??

11. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    i share your shock and incredulity. HOW CAN A PROFESSIONAL SPORTS TEAM BE RUN THIS WAY????

the onus is 100% on the team and in this case apparently directly on the owner.

real professional teams have medical staffs. players do not just go to their own doctors, at least not without club authorization. doing so can rupture a contract, for this there is ample precedent.

the WPS may not be that professional, but certainly the medical bills are the responsability of the clubs so either these need to arrange treatment themselves or have a clear, written, contractual procedure for players to follow. dinner with the boys doesn't seem to me to fill this requirement.

12. Lloyd Heilbrunn

Lloyd Heilbrunn Member+

Feb 11, 2002
    Jupiter, Fl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe in France, but in the US professional athletes go to their own doctors all the time. For second opinions or more. Because there has been too much abuse by in-house staffs with conflicts of interest in the past.

And if you feel the Club is ignoring a serious injury,you go to the ER on your own.

13. Romario'sgurl

Romario'sgurl Member+

Wakanda FC
    Aug 26, 2000
    Wakanda
    Club:
    FC Ingolstadt 04
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    LLoyd does make a lot of sense here. Maybe something was left out..but who walks around for 2 days with a broken nose?

14. Mister Crossbar

Mister Crossbar New Member

Aug 21, 2011
    USA
    A new detail regarding the mJ/WPS exhibition matches compromise:

twitter.com/WilliamB_MDJ (Marietta Daily Journal writer, covers WPS, the Beat)

15. Emmet Kipengwe

Aug 15, 2004
    Maryland
    Somebody that doesn't have the $ to pay for a doctor visit and is counting on her a$$hole owner to pay for it like he should.