magicJack terminated?

Discussion in 'NWSL' started by EyesOnBall, Oct 27, 2011.

1. EyesOnBall

EyesOnBall Member

Jun 14, 2004
    From Steve Goff (Washington Post) Facebook page:

WPS terminates Fla-based Team Formerly Known as Wash Freedom. Awaiting nutty owner's response.

Anyone else hear this?

2. EvWill

EvWill Member

Mar 11, 2001
    Fort Washington, MD
  3. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Well damn.
    So much for the "all six teams will return" and "the owners have internally been working with Mr. (Dan) Borislow, on solving some of the issues that took place last year."
    This is not a way I wanted my day to start.

4. Lloyd Heilbrunn

Lloyd Heilbrunn Member+

Feb 11, 2002
    Jupiter, Fl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And back to court we go....?????

Any indication if this followed any type of arbitration hearing?

5. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well now we can spend all winter arguing about what city will get team number #6

6. pasoccerdad

pasoccerdad Member

Mar 17, 2008
    KOP
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  7. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Hmm... While I agree that the two points mentioned may* not be enough to warrant termination, I'm sure there's other stuff behind the scenes here. Though I am still rather confused as to how every mention of mJ up to this point has been along the lines of "we're excited to move forward with the team/league and work with Dan". =-/

*"...subservient to the USWNT..." really rubs me the wrong way.
    CT

8. pasoccerdad

pasoccerdad Member

Mar 17, 2008
    KOP
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yep, that whole subservient rubbed me wrong also... US Soccer could care care less about helping the WPS

I guess he was a road block in the player compensation issues... he felt he could pay what ever and did not want restictions...

9. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Although not a fan of DB, I wonder how much of this was a fued between Borislow and Atlanta's Fitz Johnson. I am not for the termination of any team in this league. Something could have been worked out.

The league must also keep in mind that they are depriving a significant section (South Florida) of our country the ability to have a pro women's franchise. So not only are they spiting DB they are also spiting the fans in South Florida who were starting to come out in significant numbers.

It seems to me that the WPS owners just want a Northeast league. Well have at it.

What a shame. MJ did add much to the excitement of the league last season.

10. Katreus

Katreus Member

Jul 3, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So, you would NOT agree with a salary floor and no salary cap? Really?

Egos, yes. Other than that, on another note, that's another 20 or so roster spots gone. Even if CT joins this year, that'd still be 20 less than there could have been. Less spots for players to be picked up, continue playing, continue developing...

11. pasoccerdad

pasoccerdad Member

Mar 17, 2008
    KOP
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    DB would not agree

12. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Agree. Probably due to egos, jobs have been lost.
    WPS Board of Governors didn't think about that, did they?

A fan base has been lost.
    Did the WPS Board of Governors think about that?

13. kolabear

kolabear Member+

Nov 10, 2006
    los angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For all we know new (potential) owners were reluctant to sign on and have to deal with Mr Borislow. I know I would be.

14. Jossed

Jossed Member+

Apr 23, 2011
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    They are still going to have to deal with Mr. Borislow. The lawsuits will be flying.

Now they have to deal with Borislow trying to destroy the league. This time from the outside.

15. StarCityFan

StarCityFan BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's been clear for a while that the only players Dan really cares about are the WNTers. He'd have signed the whole starting roster if he could have gotten away with it.

16. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    No matter how un-orthodox his methods were, he still spent a lot of his own money last year and kept the league going.

In my opinion he has the right to get back whatever money he paid the league in franchise fees. And then some.

MajicJack added some excitement to a dull, east coast only league last year.

17. pasoccerdad

pasoccerdad Member

Mar 17, 2008
    KOP
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wanted them in the league, Even if they and WNY really paid for the best players in the league WNY almost came up short in the championship game...

I think DB's thoughts on how the league should be run and who it serves was the biggest stumbling block (Players/Fans vs Subservient to the USWNT) He did not care about money... he did not have to account for it as a buisness, it was simply advertising.

18. Ben James Ben

Ben James Ben Member

Apr 28, 2009
    http://www.palmbeachpost.com/sports...soccer-team-magicjack-terminated-1936926.html
    Will we see a competing, Florida-based DBSL next year, plundering USWNT players from the WPS?

Is the WPS Board of Governors simply one representative from each team? It would seem that at least three, possibly four, teams voted to terminate the franchise, so it wasn't just a feud with one owner.

I may be wrong, but I assume that the announcement of magicJack's ouster means that we'll be hearing official word about Connecticut within the week.

19. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    IMO, the league turned its back to the South Florida fan base. This was not a team folding but the league terminating a team and owner that has deep pockets in a soccer rich area of our country.

I'm not so much for Borislow as I am for the soccer fans of South Florida.

Shame WPS!

20. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Really?

Why should he be treated differently than anyone else. I don't know a single person that has made a profit owning/operating professional women soccer teams.

21. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    For the simple fact that he wasn't the one folding the team. The league as an entity didn't fold. They just kicked him out.

22. sisterluke

sisterluke Member

Sep 27, 2008
    Los Angeles,CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Sol
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good!! MagicDan never cared about WPS, all he cared about was using the USWNT to sell his cheap products so he can stay rich and fat.

South Florida joins, Los Angeles, St. Louis, San Francisco, Chicago, on losing a WPS team.

As long as there is six teams still in tact for next season, it should be fine. If they are all located in New England then fine whatever, I'll wait patiently for my Los Angeles team to come back as long as the league sticks around.

23. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    From Abby Wambach's twitter:
    http://twitter.com/#!/AbbyWambach

She says it's a sad day for WPS and thanks the fans of South Florida for their support.

Did the WPS in its ultimate wisdom thank the fans of South Florida for their support in their statement? I didn't find it.

Why would fans in South Florida ever want the WPS again if they had their team stripped from them without as much as a thank you for your support from the WPS Board of Governors? Why?

24. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Many of you are so focused on hating Dan Borislow that you forget the fans. The fans that came out and little by little made a big crowd at MJ games and was developing a loyal fan base. With an owner who could have kept it going for a while.

In your zest to see DB hurt you also get to see thousands of fans hurt and yes, there are little girls in South Florida just like in the northeast who loved to go see their players play and look up to them.

Shame.

25. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    Florida will still get a franchise.

Florida Tropic FC

They will be a force.
    I can't wait until all the California and west teams are announced as expansion teams.
    Plus the Connecticut team.

Kansas City, Dallas, Portland, and Chicago are all starving soccer areas that need to get a WPS expansion team. Carolina is a starving area as well (as is Connecticut). These areas love their soccer like no one else in the nation, and they need to get a WPS team.

Also, can you say Vancouver?