Magazine Recomendation

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by jfranz, Nov 23, 2004.

1. Crewmudgeon

Crewmudgeon Member+

Sep 3, 1999
    Crewdom
    I was a subscriber for more than a decade. Time was when it was the only thing (about US soccer) worth reading. When they went to a bi-weekly I stuck with them, but yes by the time I got it the info was dated. The internet updates where OK, but unreliable. I went for months without getting any, and when I complained all I got was the runaround. I finally got fed-up and cancelled my subscription, which was handled with lightning fast effeciency. I miss the magazine, not for what it was, but for the potential it represented. It had the opportunity to be the publication of record for soccer in this country. But alas it wasn't meant to be.

With the explosion of coverage on the internet, who needs a magazine anyway. Big Soccer is all you really need. The petty comments and sarcasim are priceless.

2. Khan

Khan Member+

Mar 16, 2000
    On the road
    Agreed. In the good old days of the '90s, SA was the only place to get any coverage of soccer in the US at all... But recently, their information does come to you late. Furthermore, I can't recall a single story that they've done that was of any use at all to me in the past 5 years. [Other than the MLS salary story, but that info was gifted to their magazine...]

In SA, one can count on Paul Gardner b!tching like the shrivelled old pile of manure that he is about:
    A) "Exciting, attacking, Latin-style soccer vs. the rest of the world sucks at attacking," or
    B) "All coaches and coaching in soccer sucks," or
    C) a combination of the two
    in every issue.

Besides, where in SoccerAmerica can you get:

A) JRI cheerleading for every Yank Abroad,
    B) Seagroves telling posters to go "Die In A Fire,"
    C) Apoo and other DCU fans inventing ways that Bobby Convey can help the USMNT and Reading,
    D) an interminable debate as to the value of Bruce Arena as coach, and
    E) Some newbie posting his/her ideal USMNT lineup, which invariably contains 5 to 7 players from his or her favorite MLS club?

You get all this and more on BigSoccer, with far more accurate and timely information than any magazine could ever pray of obtaining...

My recommendation:

Save the $79 you'd waste on a SoccerAmerica subscription, and spend $79 at an MLS or USMNT match. If you REALLY feel the need to read a paper magazine, make the effort to go to your local bookstore, and read it there for free.

Cheers!

3. hackattack

hackattack New Member

Jan 26, 2004
    U.S.
    90 Minutes is NOT quarterly, it's monthly and I get it on time every month. I've seen it in Barnes and Nobels and Borders bookstores too. Along with my daily dose of the internet, I like the slick photos and hard-edged opinions they (90Minutes) offer every month. Its funny too!

4. Parmigiano

Parmigiano Member

Jun 20, 2003
    I just subscribed to 90 minutes and I REGRET it. It sucks, in my view. Bad writing, bad editing, bad timing. To wit, last issue had an article about whether LD would go back to Germany, but it came out a few days after he announced he would return. It was just lame. Pros would cover their asse's and not run with something like that with an obvious decision pending. There was a simliar story in the same issue but I forget it now -- wait, I remember, it was about J Spector and whether he would be called in to the Nats, etc. But the fact is, he had already appeared in the Jamaica match by that time. Also, it only talked about his appearances in the Champions World thingy in the summertime. It said nothing at all about his games in the Premier League, Champions League, etc. It was just so obviously dated and such a piece of lazy crap, I could have screamed while reading it. And the quotes were ancient, from last summer too. Any of us who follows the news on BS day in day out is way ahead of this stuff.

Also, there was some lame attempt by a Brit writer to probe Brit opinions on the game. High school newspaper sort of thing.

I meant to write a letter to the editor, as I feel this was a waste of money, but I'm too busy/lazy. But if you guys at 90 Minutes are reading this, take note. You got some compliments on these boards, but your product is still way below standards. I wish you luck, we need a top flight soccer magazine (Soccer America is lame too) but come on, don't peddle crap that is leagues below your readers' own knowledge. We are on these boards every day. We practically know what Spector had for breakfast yesterday, so try to keep up and don't play down to us.

Also, the LA-based magazine is WAY too LA centric.

THAT SAID, I live abroad and while I doubt I will subscribe again unless there is a major improvement in quality, it is nice to have something about US soccer that I can stick in my coat for reading on the subway.

5. hackattack

hackattack New Member

Jan 26, 2004
    U.S.
    Write the Editor! I did and they replied. They didn't agree with me, but hell, at least they got back to me. Go to www.90soccer.com and go to feedback.

6. mcontento

mcontento Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Catalina Wine Mixer
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A good many of us DC United fans rejoiced when he left. Its clearly the reason we're champions again. ;) :D

7. hackattack

hackattack New Member

Jan 26, 2004
    U.S.
    dUDE, YOU ON THE WRONG THREAD OR WHAT, wer'e talking magazines up in here. 90 Minutes might not be up to teh in minutes news (thats what the internet is for), but they're saying all the things that have never been said, but have needed to be said for years.