Mafia II

Discussion in 'Video and Computer Games' started by Toon³, Aug 12, 2010.

1. Toon³

Toon³ Member

Dec 27, 2002
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    [​IMG]

The demo for this game out a couple of days ago and looks pretty impressive even for an unfinished game.

I loved the first game and this seems to have improved on it, although the cars still handle like boats and there are a few oddities such as Nolan North talking to Nolan North when pedestrians talk to each other.

Combat feels great and the cover system works well and is needed since you can only take a couple of shots on normal before you die.

Oh and 50's Playboy models were damn hot :p

2. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    Holy crap, the demo is out already???

3. Toon³

Toon³ Member

Dec 27, 2002
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Yup out on Steam and I assume other places

4. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    I'm picking this up tomorrow. Can't wait, I really loved the first one.

I have read in several reviews that it's rather on the short side though.

5. Toon³

Toon³ Member

Dec 27, 2002
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Well I bought it from Steam and decided to have some late night gaming only to be foiled by a gamebreaking bug.

There is a door I need to open to progress the game, I'm only in Chapter 2 with 37 minutes played and 18% complete :eek: , but it won't highlight and thus I cannot open it.

I'm going to re-download it tomorrow daytime so hopefully it will work then but a pretty shit start for the game.

6. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've been playing it on the 360 and am on Chapter 9. I've put in about 9 hours in already, but I'm playing it on hard mode and am searching for the playboys, posters, etc. I'm digging it, but it's definitely one of those games where when I'm done up on glyde it goes.

7. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    So I picked it up and played through to the point where Vito gets sent up to the lick. I've been loving it so far. The world itself is gloriously beautiful and very detailed. I've also been loving the soundtrack.

And judging by the comments section accompanying this youtube clip, I'm not the only one who can't get this song out of his head after playing the game for a bit: :D
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MWY4_GyLufI"]YouTube- The Andrews Sisters - Rum & Coca Cola[/ame]

8. Toon³

Toon³ Member

Dec 27, 2002
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    I got it to work fine after a patch yesterday and I'm really enjoy it too. I do think it would work better without the Dan Brown style ultra short chapters, it just makes the game seem really short when certain chapters only last 20 minutes.

9. churchill2000

churchill2000 3x MLS Cup Champions

Jul 12, 2004
    Monde Virtuel
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Soundtrack is great.

Not to be a pest but Playboy didn't come out till 53', and the game goes from 45'-51'.

It has the vastness of San Andreas and the inadequacy of Vice City. Worth the rent.

10. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    I think much of the in-car radio soundtrack is post '51 as well. I guess it's silly to quibble about stuff like that when New York City is called Empire Bay. ;)

11. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I finished the game tonight, gotta say that I enjoyed it a lot more than Red Dead Redemption. It definitely left enough open for a third, but that's all up to sales.

12. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    [result]Having Vito and Joe be the ones who killed Angelo was a nice little surprise twist, but I do wonder about continuity issues. I might be misremembering, but wasn't the epilogue in the original game where Angelo gets murdered set in the early 1960s, and not in the early 1950s as the sequel suggests?[/result]