Josh Perez in Spain

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by CreightonMCFCjoey, Apr 15, 2013.

1. VBCity72

VBCity72 Member+

Aug 17, 2014
    Sunny San Diego
    Club:
    Plymouth Argyle FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They just fall into the abyss until they move abroad again or there are rumors of a move and someone like @BostonRed will dive into the deep end and pull the thread back to life.

2. TheFalseNine

TheFalseNine Moderator
    Staff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 15, 2014
    Norman, Okla.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Let it fall. We’ll keep it open in case he moves back abroad.

The Irish Rover and Eighteen Alpha repped this.
  3. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    The following shall be on the menu chez moi ce soir
    [​IMG]

Jazzy Altidore repped this.
  4. UniversalAdvice

Apr 18, 2018
  5. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    I feel much better that he isnt stagnating in Italy anymore!

I'd hope this is more about fitness than what they view of him as a player. It isnt the best time to join and MLS team and may not know until next year.

6. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #1331 m vann, Sep 7, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2018
    If you’ve seen Phoenix Rising play they are no joke. They play a very attractive, fast paced game. It’s a great place for Josh to land in the interim. They need a little depth and if he’s fit, he could very easily get some games.

7. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    The team is not playing well going forward, the defence is horrible, they're (almost) out of the playoffs, and the coach is under pressure. Trying to integrate yourself as a latecomer is hard under the best of circumstances, but these are pretty bad circumstances.

IMO it's probably at least as much about finding someplace where he can be productively employed until the Galaxy make it to the off-season and sort themselves out as fitness. At least it should be . . .

8. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    has he discussed what happened to him last season on loan? Tres strange that he had a cameo role all season in the 3rd division.

9. Sup Bro

Sup Bro Member+

Oct 26, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He’s on LAFC, who are the sexy new version of the Galaxy. They’re firmly in the playoffs and don’t have trouble scoring.

10. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    wsmaugham and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  11. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #1336 adam tash, Aug 22, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2019
    42nd appearance is so misleading.

He's had 3 starts this year (for a total of ~300 mins) and this was his first full 90 ever in MLS.

(BTW, I watched...and he looked pretty good)

I've wondered why he wasn't playing since coming over from Italy and last night was the first time I watched him....based on last night, more curious why he hasn't been playing.....

12. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    It was his 42nd professional appearance across Fiorentina, Livorno, Phoenix, and LA. Very few of those appearances were starts; he only has about 1,000 minutes. Anyone following this thread already knows that, so it isn't misleading to this audience.

My point wasn't to denigrate, more to speak to how heavy the weight that he just lifted was. Playing in 42 games without a goal, regardless of how much time a player gets, has to be extremely frustrating for an attacking player.

Anyway, it's a significant career milestone, and I hope he can push on from here.

superdave, Gacm32 and The Irish Rover repped this.
  13. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    #1338 The Irish Rover, Aug 22, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2019
    In total, he has only 13 appearances for LAFC since returning to the States just over a year ago (12 in MLS and one Open Cup) for total of 314 minutes. I also hope that he can push on from here, and he doesn't turn 22 until January so there's still time, but those aren't great numbers

Gacm32 repped this.
  14. bshredder

bshredder BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How are you curious? LAFC is putting up record numbers. It’s a tough team to play for

If he was on Cincinnati and not playing, okay.

But what LAFC is doing is clearly working - and what they’re doing includes a limited role for Josh.

It’s also easier to look good when you’re on a team that just has so much talent that it overwhelms opponents

15. Dirt McGirt

Dirt McGirt Member+

Jun 20, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He even struggled for minutes when he was with the Rising (the USL Championship version of LAFC).

16. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's the latin Gabe Ferrari as far as I'm concerned.

UniversalAdvice and superdave repped this.
  17. NGV

NGV Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Perez obviously hasn't lived up to the youth expectations, but that doesn't mean the expectations were fully unjustified at the time (unlike for Ferrari). It might just reflect that the expectations were formed before one could predict that he'd stop growing at 5'5''.

18. wsmaugham

wsmaugham Member+

Apr 3, 2002
    Chicago
    adam tash repped this.
  19. lmorin

lmorin Member+

Mar 29, 2000
    New Hampshire
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, that certainly still applies!

Sup Bro repped this.
  20. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lol, I have visions now of Gabe Ferrari and Vincenzo Bernardo rampaging through our opponents defense.

Damn, I’ve gotten old.

tomásbernal and m vann repped this.
  21. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    regardless, the reason a player is not playing can be murky. it isn't exactly obvious why he isn't playing especially since he and the team looked really good in trouncing SJ. If hadn't looked good...it would make sense why he hasn't been playing.

I expected that once he moved to LAFC it would be with the idea that he would actually play. assumption.

when he hadn't played...i wasn't sure why. still not.

but i hear what you're saying though....it's a dilemma. play a lot (perhaps) and don't look good (on a bad team) OR go to a good team but barely play.....in the end, it's better to play on a good team if only rarely, imo.

overall, I think josh is in a good spot despite having barely played for LAFC and expect him to continue to rise (based on his latest outing)

22. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We never really got the TRUE Gabe Ferrari story. Gabe, if you are reading this, PLEASE give us the Uncensored Version!!!

23. VBCity72

VBCity72 Member+

Aug 17, 2014
    Sunny San Diego
    Club:
    Plymouth Argyle FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yanks Abroad... Josh is not on loan, he is a full fledged member of LA.

24. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    This isn't a mystery.

Josh Perez is getting backup minutes at LAFC because he's a backup at LAFC. Carlos Vela and Diego Rossi are both better players. Latif Blessing has been very good this year as well and while he mostly plays in the midfield he can play winger; they just signed Brian Rodriguez as a winger.

But he's mostly Vela's backup and rotational with Rossi. There's nothing else to it. Rossi's going to get sold, but that's why Rodriguez is there. He'll have to fight for minutes.

IndividualEleven repped this.
  25. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I realize that there is a pecking order and where JP is on that...

but all I'm saying is that based on his last game....and the other LAFC games I've seen this year...I do not see a gap between JP (or Lee Nguyen, either, for that matter)...and the "starters" or those higher than him on the pecking order..aside from Vela of course.....he fits right in with the squad is all i'm saying......