Madrid Wasn't Built In a Day - The Interim Transfer Thread

Discussion in 'Real Madrid' started by Nathanial Essex, Sep 2, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
?

How would you rate our summer transfer?

1. Could not have been better. It was bloody amazing mate

4 vote(s)
    6.8%
  2. I'm chuffed

14 vote(s)
    23.7%
  3. Cudda and Shudda Done Better

28 vote(s)
    47.5%
  4. Not too confident at all guv'nor

7 vote(s)
    11.9%
  5. Perez and Zidane are both bellends

6 vote(s)
    10.2%
  1. RaMaaa

RaMaaa Member+

Feb 3, 2013
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    i agree 100%. But imo there is more behind of scene we dont now. I refused to believe Perez, Zizou and others thought plan to sell Llorente, Ceballos and bring nothing (If Pobga wont come) its a good plan.

2. Ayayain

Ayayain Member+

Real Madrid
    Nov 29, 2017
    For me, too many rumors about Zidane having his finger on the red button ready to resign if Flo doesn't follow his mercato choices.

Maybe we win the treble, and I'll call Zidane a genius again, but if we win nothing, people at the club will have to be held accountable for their decisions.

3. russian hattie

russian hattie Member+

Feb 5, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    That is how is works at every club. Actually in every line of work.

4. robertocarlos3

robertocarlos3 Member+

Jan 9, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    People? there's only two people in this club. Perez and Zidane.
    I can guarantee you that if we win nothing, it will not be Perez that will leave.
    I also doubt that Zidane have any red button superpowers to leave if Zidane doesn't get what he wants, which clearly he didn't.
    If anything, Zidane learned the hard way, that for almost any boss position, there's a boss above.

Richard1789 repped this.
  5. Ayayain

Ayayain Member+

Real Madrid
    Nov 29, 2017
    FWIW on LEquipeTV, a dude from France Football just said that the relation between Zidane, and Flo is tense because Zidane wanted Pogba, and only Pogba, and Flo refused to pay 150ME for him.

He also added that to have Zidane back, he was promised some things, and so far, Flo's actually changed his tune.

6. Doni

Doni Member+

Dec 4, 2010
    London
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Courtois came off an absolutely terrible season with Chelsea before we bought him. We’re talkong about Navas’ blunders vs Juve and Bayern and then sign Courtois and he walks into the starting XI based off 3 weeks in Russia.

7. Richard1789

Richard1789 Member

Real Madrid
    Spain
    Sep 2, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    I think though Perez could have acted far better in tapping up Lopetegui whilst he was Spains manager and Perez was partly responsible for Spain's poor showing at the last world cup. Had Spain not dismissed their manager at the start of the tournament I think Spain would have had a really good chance to reach the Quarters and even the Semis of the world cup in 2018 .

8. Saeta Rubia

Saeta Rubia Member+

May 28, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    #83 Saeta Rubia, Sep 3, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2019
    Utd wanted more than 150 ME. English reports varied from 150 MP to 180 M pounds and Marca also mentioned 180 ME+. And EPL clubs don't reduce their demands even if there's long negotiations as we found out with Coutinho, Hazard, Bale etc. Not like Pogba really pushed for a move like CR7 did back in the day.

ZZ needs to understand there's a rich club that has Pogba's rights and their coach always insisted Pogba would stay and he wanted to build around him whenever ZZ or the player himself flirted with eachother. Woodward has been salty about RM ever since we refused to budge on Di Maria fee which they had to pay late in the window and wasn't going to do any favours.

Anon. and J-Mezzy repped this.
  9. Ayayain

Ayayain Member+

Real Madrid
    Nov 29, 2017
    150 or 200 is not the problem here.

That's just one more source from France about Zidane being focused on Pogba.

Now of course, if what was said again is true, I believe Flo is right to not have bent over. 200ME for Pogba is dumb (even 150-160ME is imo).

10. temesgen

temesgen Member+

Jun 27, 2004
    I can count on one hand the number of games in which Courtios looked like he was up for the job, regardless what he accomplished in England or WC, he doesn't inspire confidence right now.

Nathanial Essex, MerlinRM and Drouchk repped this.
  11. Ayayain

Ayayain Member+

Real Madrid
    Nov 29, 2017
    And some tend to forget the number of times Navas saved our ass during those 3 CL wins run.

Courtois has everything to prove here.

Nathanial Essex, Drouchk and temesgen repped this.
  12. Oscar

Oscar Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Holland
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Maybe if we played hardball for Hazard (one year left on his contract, only wants to come to us) we wouldn't have paid a ridiculous fee for a player we could already sign in 6 months time. And thus have more money left for Pogba, or any other midfield acquisition(s). That 100 million will never make sense. Complete waste of transfer funds. Not because of the quality of the player, but we could have gotten him for much less.

Focusing on Pogba when the asking price is overexuberant, was a mistake as well. When it became clear Manchester weren't going to lower their price, we should have looked elsewhere instead of solely focusing on an overpriced player because reasons. Yes, I am in the camp that no way should we pay 150-200 million for Pogba. That's not on Florentino for not paying that, that's (supposedly) on Zidane for wanting us to pay that.

As a whole one cannot really say we became weaker. We strengthened many positions even if it's in depth only (so far). CB (Militao) LB (Mendy) AML (Hazard) ST (Jovic) and AM (James). Some positions became weaker (dm and cm) due to some departures, which were no doubt done to make way for a certain player, but why even act for that when it's not a sure thing? Selling Ceballos and Llorente was a mistake if you're not getting good replacements, or almost eventually plan to get simmilar/lower quality players like van der Beek for ********ing 60 million.

I'm not happy with the transfer period as we dropped the ball on the midfield, we could have sold some players for whom it might be time to leave the club, but I am content I guess. Because a good team can be made from the players we have.

13. temesgen

temesgen Member+

Jun 27, 2004
    You could slot most of our defense into any other good club in Europe and think they are a better defender, we are constantly adjusting on the fly and ask a lot out of our defense.

Drouchk repped this.
  14. Saeta Rubia

Saeta Rubia Member+

May 28, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I knew we'd have to pay close to 100 ME for Hazard the moment Chelsea signed Pulisic for 65 ME with his contract running out. They also knew we were desperate for a Galactico signing after the season we had and having sold Ron a year earlier with no big name replacement.

Anon. and MiamiNative0722 repped this.
  15. SayWhatIWant

SayWhatIWant Member+

Jan 10, 2015
    Sometimes you people confuse me. This is literally what he has done. Did he not alternate between Kroos and Modric. Did he not play James and Isco. Does he not play Bale with Benzema and Jovic. Did he not play Mendy?
    Outrageously deluded

16. temesgen

temesgen Member+

Jun 27, 2004
    I'm not sure if I'm more bothered by players refusing to leave or not signing a midfielder. The club really looks like it's lost a step with certain aspects of negotiation.

17. J-Mezzy

J-Mezzy Member+

Oct 14, 2013
    Orlando
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    What do you mean you people????

Drouchk repped this.
  18. Drouchk

Drouchk Member+

Real Madrid
    Spain
    Aug 9, 2018
    Anyone else checked Marca/as/Chiriguinto for transfer rumors today then remembered the window is closed?:D

19. RMSocrates

RMSocrates Member+

Apr 5, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    It’s still strange to have paid it...I mean would the alternative of not having Hazard for 100 million been so bad? It would just mean VJ plays another year while Hazard waits his contract out to join on a free if he really wanted to.

IDK, I’m starting to think maybe the club should have gone that route or maybe playing hardball we get him for much less to join early in the last week of the transfer window.

I’d say summer transfers was 6/10. Addressed some needs but for me we didn’t sell the players we should have and didn’t strength midfield enough.

20. 4x4s

4x4s Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Marcelo at his peak was above average in robustness and pace. He lacked focus at times, not strength.

21. 4x4s

4x4s Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    No, because Chiringuito are absolute clowns. It's incredible to me that people quote the show that's basically a comedy variety show for sports.

22. 4x4s

4x4s Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    The problem is that we're allowing a player clearly past his peak to collect a retirement check, while sending out a player on loan who clearly outplayed said player combined with the purchase of a starting price player.

So at the end of the day, the economically sound thing to do would be to keep the cheaper/younger/more motivated player earning a fraction of the one that's declining, and sign a starting lineup player alongside him.

Instead we signed a starting lineup player and paired him with a player that earns starting lineup money but doesn't play starting lineup football.

No matter how you flip it, it wasn't a good decision. Only reason I can see us doing it is that we're hoping we can flip Sergio Reguilon next summer so we place him on the shop window for a year, believing that we're going to be set with Mendy for 4 years or so anyway so we might as well keep a popular socially engaged player in Marcelo around alongside him and we value that engagement at a couple million per year

Nathanial Essex and RMSocrates repped this.
  23. janos audron

janos audron Member+

Apr 12, 2010
    Glad we agree he was not among top percentile - meaning not personification of speed and strength. If anything he had nimble feet which helped his main trait shine even more which is technical capacity and creativity.

24. SayWhatIWant

SayWhatIWant Member+

Jan 10, 2015
    Not you man, but there's a few who are literally criticizing Zidane suggesting he do this and that while that's quite literally what he's done.

25. SayWhatIWant

SayWhatIWant Member+

Jan 10, 2015
    The transfer season was poor. Wild expenditure on second-rate product. We needed to invest in a couple elite level players. Instead we bought a bunch of bench material.