Madeira to Become Independent Country/State?

Discussion in 'Portugal: NSR' started by Joelzinho, Apr 17, 2006.

1. Joelzinho

Joelzinho Member

May 23, 2005
    Montreal!
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    ?Russian? He just needs to grow my mustache.

2. Joelzinho

Joelzinho Member

May 23, 2005
    Montreal!
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    The tampons are usually in the fourth aile. Make sure you get them double padded alright my man.

3. Cilindro

Cilindro New Member

May 24, 2002
    Honestly, I have serious doubts that Madeira could survive of bananas, senior english tourism, and offshore taxes. The people from Madeira that want independence (they are just a few) have my full support. The less parasites we have the better.

4. Joelzinho

Joelzinho Member

May 23, 2005
    Montreal!
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    What....I think you should apologize to the people from Madeira and the people on these boards from Madeira...

5. Cilindro

Cilindro New Member

May 24, 2002
    Apologize to who? Lol. I am tired of seeing my money being thrown out the window everytime a clown form Madeira like Alberto João Jardim has an independence orgasm. The continentals not only support economically the people from Madeira, but also have to hear their leaders call us cubans, communists and some other stupid insults they can find. I am curious to find out how long Madeira would last without the continent.

6. Joelzinho

Joelzinho Member

May 23, 2005
    Montreal!
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Its just one idiot though right? The people of Madeira seem proud to be from Portugal from what I can tell, no need to generalize them with that Alberto guy...

7. vilafria

vilafria Member+

Jun 2, 2005
    Everyone wants independence from big gov. I've heard it from the Azores, Quebec, Madeira, Canaries Is, even California. Kurdistan, on the other hand, divided by four nations: Turkey,Iraq, Syria, and Iran, have a legitimate claim.

8. Aveirenses

Aveirenses Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Guardiolunya
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    They were probably just trying to be funny..

Or being typically British.

9. ---Z---

---Z--- Member+

Cagalhao
    Nov 2, 2005
    CAMPEAO
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I just read the article in the new Four-Four-Two its a small little article
    and it seems like a joke, they dont even get their facts right

- they claim Maritimo is the only top flight Madeirense team in the Portuguese league when obviously there are two - Nacional who in recent seasons have had better teams and played in Uefa cup.

it also states "Madeira has been under Portuguese jurisdiction for 200 years. Where do they get 200 from, Its actually more closer to 600 years it was first discovered and settled in 1400s by Portugal and was discovered by an explorer named Joao Goncalves Zarco when he landed on Porto Santo back in the day.

10. vilafria

vilafria Member+

Jun 2, 2005
    "it was first discovered and settled in 1400s by Portugal and was discovered by an explorer named Joao Goncalves Zarco when he landed on Porto Santo back in the day."

As far as I know , unlike the Canaries, where there was a native population at the time of "discovery", Madeira and the Azores were unhabited at their discoveries.

11. TO DEVILS

TO DEVILS Member

Jun 10, 2005
    Canada
    Is Elton John typical british?

12. ---Z---

---Z--- Member+

Cagalhao
    Nov 2, 2005
    CAMPEAO
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal

yeah Madeira and Azores were uninhabited islands until Portugal came so it was waiting there for someone to take it and Portugal got it for Free basically.

I never knew the Canaries had indigineous population, where were those natives from anyways? africa probably.

When madeira was discovered, explorers encountered a big storm and they saved themselves by landing at Porto Santo, and they named the island Porto Santo because it saved them (Porto Santo means Holy Port)

Porto Santo is the smaller island next to Madeira some people live there but only a few (prolly about 10 000) but it has nice beaches and some serious golf courses and if you go to Madeira and want to enjoy the beach, you go to Porto Santo because there is pretty much no beaches on Madeira island itself.

13. vilafria

vilafria Member+

Jun 2, 2005
    I first heard it in grade school history. The Portuguese discoverers were prevented from making land fall by hostile natives.
    I later learned more about them in my first visit to Tenerife. The native are known as Guanches and believed to descend from the Berbers of present day North Africa.

14. Joelzinho

Joelzinho Member

May 23, 2005
    Montreal!
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I knew they had Natives. Did the Spanish end up killing most of them also?

P.S: I don't know why, but I also find it hard to believe that the Acores had no natives. Espically the fact that they lighted the place on fire and let it burn for 7 years.....seems a little suspect to me.

15. ---Z---

---Z--- Member+

Cagalhao
    Nov 2, 2005
    CAMPEAO
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Are you sure you mean Acores?

or are you talking about Madeira, I think they set fires there to burn down the forests because the island was covered in forests and they needed to clear out some of the land to settle there. Madeira means wood, they named it that because it was covered in trees so I guess that makes sense

and also Acores is pretty far from the continents of Europe/Africa
    but Madeira is much more closer to Africa and Europe than Azores. Trip off the west coast of Morocco to MAdeira wont take too long.
    So if anything, Madeira would be much more likely to have had natives than Acores. But regardless it was reported that there were none in Madeira
    and today there is definitely none.

16. vilafria

vilafria Member+

Jun 2, 2005
    I read a bit about it, as I'm interested in anthropology, and my understanding is that intermarriage pretty much ended their "pure" lineage.

17. Joelzinho

Joelzinho Member

May 23, 2005
    Montreal!
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Yeah...I just did some research on it. The Natives apparently were a very "white" group. Pale, blonde, and blue eyes were extremely common....

So I guess they mixed together with the Spanish from Spain.

18. johnboys

johnboys Member

Jul 15, 2001
    N.Y.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

just out of curiosity, who made up the native population when the canaries were discovered,,

19. Portugallia

Portugallia BigSoccer Yellow Card

Dec 9, 2005
    Hmm, let me see.

1) Madeira was uninhabited when the Portuguese arrived.

2) Hawaii was fully inhabited, for over 1000 years, when the American military stole the islands from the Hawaians in 1899.

A very misleading comparison.

20. Tremoco

Tremoco New Member

Apr 26, 2006
    I can't for the life of me understand why the madeiranses keep electing that regional clown Alberto João Jardim. He has got to be the biggest a s s ever and that really doesn't reflect well on the people that elect this freak.

Can’t they see how delusional this dude is?

21. Portugallia

Dec 9, 2005
    The real issue is that the English, a Slavic non-European people from Central Asia, have a few islands in their possession that rightfully belong to us Gallic European Portuguese. Islands such as Gibraltor, St Helena, Ascension, Gough Island, Tristan da Cunha and some others.

The Cape Verde and Sao Tome islands were also uninhabited when we arrived there so those islands and their surrounding ocean also rightfully belongs to the Portuguese people.

Canary islands also belong to us since they were always part of our ancient kingdom of Lusitania which in past times were known as the Fortunate Islands.

Reunion islands in the Pacific Ocean were also uninhabited and belong to us, though they're currently in the hands of the French.

The importance of the islands is their equidistant boundaries which can span hundreds and thousands of kilometers. The Azores area is not just the area of the islands but the area of the surrounding ocean which means we have one of the largest political boundaries in Europe, second only to Russia if I'm not mistaken. Pick up a world map and see for yourself.

However, every once in a while misleading stories pop up, usually from left wing sources and more recently Muslim-Arab sources. Stories like how an Arab, an Englishman, or a Berber by some fantastic miracle discovered these very same lands long before the Portuguese. All false of course. :rolleyes:

The truth is Portugal discovered all that there was to be discovered hundreds of years before the rest of the world dared to jump into a sailing ship and navigate the wild oceans. Even then, they only did it with our technology, our good will and more imorportantly with our maps.

The Portuguese were the only ones to have the courage needed to conquer the world's oceans and hence why we're known as "Herois do mar" and "Portuguese-men-of-war".

Truth, reality and the facts mentioned above obvioulsy irritate and concern the English to such an extent they're forced to invent false stories.

They try to mislead people by diverting people's attention to the island of Madeira instead of the islands which need to be looked at - Gibraltor, St Helena, Ascension, Gough Island and Tristan da Cunha.

Don't forget, like Lusitania and Atlantia in past times, Portugal is also an Oceanic empire and Portugal's area is also measured by the area of Ocean that rightfully belongs it.

22. Portugallia

Dec 9, 2005
    The Canary islands were in ancient times known as the Fortunate Islands and belonged to Lusitania (ancient Portugal).

The native population were Gallic-Portuguese looking peoples with customs not unlike the ones found in ancient Portugal (proved by the type pottery they used).

In essence they were a Lusitanian people who had been cut off from mainland Lusitania for around 1700 years. Before the islands being reached again by us Portuguese in the 1400's, they had last been visited by our ancestors (then known as Lusitanians) from the mainland in and around the year 200 B.C.

23. geeko79

geeko79 Member

Mar 18, 2005
    Toronto
    Don't forget, Lusitania was just another province of the Roman Empire. Most scholars (if I remember correctyl from school) agree that the first inhabitants of the Canaries were from North African Berber Tribes arriving about 1000 yrs before Christ. Some say it is Phoenicians, and yet others say Greeks and Romans. The Canaries were also used as a dumping ground for North African Prisoners (kinda like Australia), as these people became the prehispanic Canarians.

The Canaries have been visited by many different civilizations and so the current poulation is a mix of different peoples....

24. vilafria

vilafria Member+

Jun 2, 2005
    1000 years is a bit too much, half that, maybe.

.[/QUOTE]
    The real issue is that the English, a Slavic non-European people from Central Asia
    Where did you come up with that ? English . . . Slavic? Try Germanic and European . BTW, Slavic is also an European group.

25. Portugallia

Dec 9, 2005
    All of the above is of course completely incorrect. The fact is Lusitania as an independent region already existed prior the Romans entering the peninsula as clearly stated by Polybius in 180 B.C.

Further more, most scholars don't mention the truth that various Roman armies were utterly defeated by the Lusitanians under Viriato and that a peace treaty was ratified by the Roman senate recognising Lusitania's independent status.

They rather subscribe to the fictional stories of how Romans conquered all of Western Europe which off course is completely false. The truth is the Romans only controlled the eastern portion of the peninsula which was called Iberia (meaning distant land).

The Iberia conquered by the Romans was not the entire peninsula but merely the eastern portion. Hence the battles with Viriato and the Lusitanians were not anywhere near the western side, say Porto or Lisbon but on the eastern side of the peninsula.

As for the comments on the Canary Islands they are just Asiatic fictional stories aimed at simple minded people. If you believe them you'll believe anything.

The Canary Islands have been inhabited by Gallic Lusitanian people for over 10 000 years just like Lusitania.