Madeira to Become Independent Country/State?

Discussion in 'Portugal: NSR' started by Joelzinho, Apr 17, 2006.

1. Joelzinho

Joelzinho Member

May 23, 2005
    Montreal!
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I was reading a the may issue of "FourFourTwo"(a british magazine:rolleyes: )
    and they said that Madeira has been longing to gain complete independence from Portugal. That a political group called PSD has slowly been gaining group on that objective.

Anyone know anything about this? First time I am hearing about it, and I would be disapointed and sad if it were to happen. Maritimo would be out of the Portuguese Liga and we would lose good players that are/could play for the Seleccao...including.....Cristiano Ronaldo...:eek:

2. geeko79

geeko79 Member

Mar 18, 2005
    Toronto
    a soccer magazine diving into politics of that nature. It seems a little extreme!! Thats the first i've heard. I wouldn't beleive it. I'm sure there are folks who would want it, but they are the minority for sure

Although back in the day (from what my dad has told me) a few countries tried to convince the Azores to break away from Portugal. It will never happen!!

3. Cilindro

Cilindro New Member

May 24, 2002
    Lol. It´s only a few idiots from the Madeira government (including the president of autonomous region, Alberto João Jardim, one the biggest clowns in the history of the portuguese democracy) that everytime they want to exort some more money from the continent they shout independence. Even those few idiots that want independence know that they couldn´t survive without the money from the continent.

4. Cilindro

Cilindro New Member

May 24, 2002
    Perhaps the english, after taking over the Algarve, are becoming interested in Madeira, since most of the tourists in Madeira are also english.:D

5. ---Z---

---Z--- Member+

Cagalhao
    Nov 2, 2005
    CAMPEAO
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    thats right its all joao jardim

its not a serious movement and will never happen

6. FCPorto_Dragao

Jun 15, 2005
    E DUBs
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    an autonomous independent state in Madeira would never survive...they simply don't have the funds or resources to do so...unless they feel like diving hard into the debt pool...I doubt it would happen

7. Joelzinho

Joelzinho Member

May 23, 2005
    Montreal!
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Yeah I though it was kind of farfected too...I swear those British are negative towards anything none - England. Or anything that is too flashy for that matter....

8. TO DEVILS

TO DEVILS Member

Jun 10, 2005
    Canada
    Bloco Madeirense......this is Quebec all over again.

They wanna be independent, but still use our currency, apply to our loans, receiver our financial aid and be part of European Community.

This is being as independent as Avril still living in his parents basement and owning his hot dog stand!!:rolleyes:

Our=Portugal;)

9. metro fan

metro fan Member

Apr 29, 1999
    Union, NJ
    You sure the magazine is not dated April 1st?

10. Joelzinho

Joelzinho Member

May 23, 2005
    Montreal!
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    pretty Positive. Say May Issue right on the front of it.

11. Joelzinho

Joelzinho Member

May 23, 2005
    Montreal!
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Oh god....dont even start me on that Quebec nonsense. After that shit I felt like knocking out every frenchie I saw that waved the Pronvincial flag....wait, I still feel that way.

12. IslandBoy

IslandBoy Member

Jun 8, 2005
    Montreal, Canada
    True dat.:)

13. Joelzinho

Joelzinho Member

May 23, 2005
    Montreal!
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    "Let me use the Canadian Monetary System, let me use the Canadian Health Care System, can we share the same Army too please?"

- Joelzinho Knocks out Frenchie with the Quebec Provincial Flag tied around his waist -

Joelzinho Standing over body of unconsious french liberal(Aka Petit distant Cousin) with a cigar in his mouth: "You can keep your poutines, I didn't like that shit anyways putas" - cut scene

P.S: I love Montreal, I love Canada, but Quebec you killing me, how you only going to recognize French as the official language of the province you.

p.S.s: This is what happens when I get political.

14. UltraViseu

UltraViseu Member

Jan 22, 2006
    Strong Island
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    If Madeira wants to be independent. I say let them do it. ******** it! Let them suffer like the rest of us.

15. Joelzinho

Joelzinho Member

May 23, 2005
    Montreal!
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    ROnaldo would no longer be Portuguese....

16. GoodDead

GoodDead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Club:
    Sporting Braga
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Double True !!!

BTW Madeira leaving Portugal is as likely as Hawaii leaving the US.

17. Joelzinho

Joelzinho Member

May 23, 2005
    Montreal!
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    They wanted Independence at one point though, heard something about it sometimes last year to.

P.S: Isn't it crazy how the states just owns randowm Islands....lol....Puerto Rico, Hawaii...shit is mad funny you know!

18. KhaNArTisT

KhaNArTisT New Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Back in Toronto Esse
    10 pts for the double tru

30 pts for the shear effort of the colours!!

19. SFC

SFC New Member

Apr 7, 2005
    Portugal
    I say cut the ropes and let Madeira drift far into the middle of the Ocean. Then send the 35 year old Barracuda submarine after it and torpedo the living crap out of them.

20. SFC

SFC New Member

Apr 7, 2005
    Portugal
    10 pts for being a repetitive imbecile

30 pts for shutting the ******** up

21. Penguin

Penguin Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Boston, MA, USA
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Considering the way the islands are currently governed, it's highly unlikely they could exist as a sovereign, independent state. However, they do have 2 things in their favor. First, Madeira is an offshore tax-haven. Second, Madeira is a year-round tourist resort. If they could intelligently exploit both of these assets, they conceivably become the Cayman/Bahamas of Europe.

22. GoodDead

GoodDead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Club:
    Sporting Braga
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    lol, I take it you also saw that funny SNL short

23. SLBCarlos

SLBCarlos New Member

Aug 23, 2005
    Newark NJ USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    i say if madeira wants to be independent let them be. just one condition we keep c.ronaldo

:D

24. GoodDead

GoodDead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Club:
    Sporting Braga
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    They would become like Northern Ireland and C.Ron would be the 2006 George Best never getting into a WC.

Thankfully it will never happen.

25. UltraViseu

UltraViseu Member

Jan 22, 2006
    Strong Island
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal

He would still be ethnically Portuguese, even though he loks like a Russian lesbian woman.