Mad

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by angra, Dec 1, 2004.

1. QuakeAttack

QuakeAttack Member+

Apr 10, 2002
    California - Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The SJ Clakes have had a history of poor choices in selecting foreign players. Not counting the Canadians, I believe Ronald and Ronnie are really the only two who have bee great for the team. Ariel is debatable.

To your point, the team management has decided in the last couple of years that the quality of the foreign players that can be brought to the MLS versus the quality of the US players isn't worth the effort of traveling around to find the few "nuggets".

I tend to agree with our previous management (Moore/Yallop). I would much rather focus on developing US talent than take a chance on a foreign born player who also had to make adjustments to living in another country.

When the Quakes have a solid foundation as a team and the league is well established, you will see better scouting of foreign players.

2. angra

angra New Member

Oct 10, 2001
    myfootongarbers'ass

I'm thankful for SSV. They just weren't lucky with their bankrupt investors.
    Now what? Sit in our butts for 4 months. Something needs to be done now not on opening day. If they have something going, then they should let the fan know.

3. 1Bri Fanatic333

1Bri Fanatic333 New Member

Jul 12, 2000
    Who said they were sitting on their butts the last four months. I know for DAMN sure they havn't been.

And let me ask you this.....if you were a member of SSV, and the information that the fans wantedto know could possibly cause any deals that may be rumbling to fall through because of confidentiality agreements, what would you do? Some people around here are making it harder for SSV than they already have it. Either step in a help, or sit back and be patient.....but for gods sake, let them do wut they need to do without being bugged about it every 5 minutes....... :rolleyes:

4. GoMooner!

GoMooner! New Member

Jan 24, 2003
    Hang in there, Tony!!! We Believe.

5. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    :D

GO SAN JOSE EARTHQUAKES!!! :cool:

-G

6. 1Bri Fanatic333

1Bri Fanatic333 New Member

Jul 12, 2000
    HAHA! I just got that...I was staring at my post, reading it over and over, and I finally got it.....odviously, I didn't mean to do that....I guess I should say "No pun intended." :)

btw-I'm not trying to attack anyone, I was just kinda peeved.....it's been a long week....

7. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    :D

GO SAN JOSE EARTHQUAKES!!! :cool:

-G

8. tonyh01

tonyh01 Member

Nov 9, 2003
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You just don't get it do you? The investor you speak of is no longer in the mix. The investors that we do have don't wish to be made public at this time. We have communicated this many times. We have let you know everything that we can. We have advised you that we do have solid investors who are interested, but don't want to come out in public until the time is right. It would kill any potential deals if we were to go against their wishes.

I think we have done a very good job of letting everyone know exactly what we are working on, where things stand, and what we are doing as things continue to move forward.

As far as your season tickets....I would suggest you purchase them. Potential investors are looking at these numbers as the season ticket base is the most important number. SSV has made a serious effort to increase this season ticket base in order to make our franchise more appealing to an investor. If you want to help then purchase your season tickets....this will help SSV continue to show that we have the best fans in MLS, and that this fan base is behind the franchise 100%.

And as far as sitting on my butt....Well, yes...I have done a lot of that. I tend to sit while in meetings, and while responding to emails and making phone calls. However, I would hardly say that there is a single member within SSV that is just sitting back waiting to see what happens. We asked for the fans help by showing up to the rally and you all responded in a way that blew us all away. We asked for the fans help by increasing their season tickets. Once again, the fans responded in a way that surprised us. We've asked these things because we can't do it all on our own, and these were ways that fans could help our efforts in keeping the team here.

So...for everyone else....if you've pledged season tickets then please make good on that pledge.

9. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    SSV Rules!

You guys saved our team. Sure we helped, but we needed you to lead. I am 100% confident that you tell me every thing that you can, as soon as you can.

And speaking of those season tickets, for those of us ordering tickets for the Casbah, do we order now? or through Club Quake or what?

LONG LIVE THE QUAKES!!

- Mark

10. ggayle

ggayle Member

May 4, 1999
    Oaktown, CA, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Order now! Through the Quakes, Section N3.

11. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks Guy!

I just did. :D

I have never ordered season tickets before. Well, actually, I bought four of the six pack tickets for the 2001 season, but this is the first time I've bought a regular season ticket. My nephew is going to use it more often than me, so be nice to him when you see him. Big kid named Scott. Plays keeper.

Ah, I'm feeling good about myself as a fan!

GO QUAKES!!

- Mark

12. tedwar

tedwar Member

Jun 24, 1999
    Richmond, CA-EastBay
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "Thats all you got? YOU just don't get it. Nobody is saying that just because you are a foreign player you are better than an American player. All I would like to see is the Quakes trying a little harder for a top foreign player."

Well, you are certainly implying that a top foregin player is better.

because, obviously, 'foreign' [whatever that means] players are better than american players? Because the Quakes record with American players is so poor? Because no Santa Clara or Stanford product has ever produced for the Quakes? Because you'd rather have the Quakes spend their money on a top foreign player to draw the fans, like Azzizi did?

Just to add to the chorus, SSV is working very diligently at this, and believe me, I think its fair to say they'd love to have a stadium deal done and investors announced and so on and so forth. But these things take time.

Hey, watch the college playoffs on tv this weekend; watch an MFL game; or an Italian game on the International Channel on Sunday. Go outside and kick the ball around with your kid. Join a hattrick league.

Tony

13. Openthegate

Openthegate Member

Nov 29, 2003
    Fremont CA
    I recommend this thread be closed.

14. uclacarlos

uclacarlos Member+

Aug 10, 2003
    east coast
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    ah HA!!!

So you HAVE been waisting your time! ;)

(the above is a spelling joke, making fun of IBT).

15. sacrxy

sacrxy BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 6, 2003
    How are the numbers on seaon ticket sales looking? Too early to tell yet?

16. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    On the "foreign player" bit, when I think of foreign players, I think of players plying their trade in foreign leagues. That's not to say that I think USian players suck, just that this is a young league and there are plenty of good players in other leagues, including USian players making the big bucks elsewhere. We got Dario Brose and Landon from foreign leagues.

As for actual non-US citizen type players, MLS has done better signing players from Central America and the Caribean than siging older "big name" players from Europe. I've made this argument elsewhere, so I won't belabor it here.

And would it be awful if we signed players like: Mauricio Wright, Alejandro Sequiera, and Mauricio Solis? I would definitely take a player of this caliber over a high priced guy from Europe who thinks MLS is a rec league.

We won't be able to get a top player from another MLS team without giving someone we would rather keep. MLS can't aford to sign players from top flight leagues in Europe. So that leaves us second division guys, A-league guys (McKinley Tennyson?), and the smaller league in Central America.

But, we're really getting of the angry theme of this thread now right?!

I'd like to see Dom and JD do a thorough job of scouting the college teams this off-season. They should be watching lots of NCAA College Cup games. It was pretty easy to see that Mullan would be a good player when he was in the Cup. Dom and JD should find a few gems too.

:mad:

Obligatory angry face, in keeping with the thread theme.

GO QUAKES!!

- Mark

17. Openthegate

Openthegate Member

Nov 29, 2003
    Fremont CA