Maccabi Haifa [R], UEFA Champions League, 2009/10

Discussion in 'Israel' started by EvanJ, Jul 8, 2009.

1. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We are in Group A. Here are our opponents with their club coefficient rank among the remaining clubs from 1 to 32 in parenthesis (Maccabi Haifa is 27th):

Bayern Munich (8th, meaning they have the worst Pot 1 club coefficient)
    Juventus (15th)
    Bordeaux (23rd)

All three opponents were one of the bottom two clubs in their pot.

2. Benayoun

Benayoun New Member

Jun 18, 2009
    Club:
    Maccabi Haifa FC
    That's portuguese, not spanish :p. Our group in champions : Bayern Munich, Juventus, Girondins Bourdois...Impossible.

3. David-G

David-G Member

Jun 24, 2007
    Miami
    Club:
    Maccabi Haifa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Israel
    What a tough draw. We got the weakest team in the first draw, but then two of the hardest teams in the 2nd and 3rd. :(

And it's too bad we don't have any of the English teams in our group since they would show the matches on ESPN and we would get exposure here.

4. Kappa18

Kappa18 New Member

Aug 9, 2002
    Toronto, Canada
    Club:
    Beitar Jerusalem FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Israel
    THats what you guys get fur surfing on a rocket...

Your right about exposure, but dont forget Fox Sports World and Fox Soccer channel. All in all, there is potential to watch the games on Italian channels....in Canada though :) I remember seeing AC milan vs. Hapoel Tel Aviv back in the day.

Group G is by far the easiest.. Rangers, Stuggard, Drebchen and i think one other team...

5. Benayoun

Benayoun New Member

Jun 18, 2009
    Club:
    Maccabi Haifa FC
    Seville F.c is the other team...Too bad Maccabi won't face spanish clubs either, there were 2 spanish options out of 3 ( Madrid, Barça and Munich)...Shit, it will be impossible. The Manchester group would have been perfect: Manchester, CSKA and Besiktas. Anyways, at least i hope good atendance at the stadium, if they could get a lot of money and invest on good players..Good luck for Bnei Yehuda.

6. Borussia

Borussia Member+

Jun 5, 2006
    Fürth near Nuremberg
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Nice group, isn't it? ;)

Have Juve and Maccabi ever met before?

7. Kappa18

Kappa18 New Member

Aug 9, 2002
    Toronto, Canada
    Club:
    Beitar Jerusalem FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Israel
    Maccabi Haifa and Juventus no.

But Maccabi Tel Aviv and Juventus did play however in like 2005. CL match....

8. davemark44

davemark44 New Member

May 6, 2004
    Springfield, NJ
    When you saw the groups, was anyone else unpleasantly reminded of the 1972 Munich Olympic tragedy? That was my first thought.

I expect that Munich will provide better security 37 years later. Now the next thing to wait for is to hear which of the big clubs groans the loudest about traveling to Israel.

9. Lior_

Lior_ New Member

Mar 26, 2009
    Club:
    Maccabi Netanya FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Israel
    Well, doesnt matter what group they were in, we are underdogs in ever single match. But thats the great thing about football, anything can happen and an upset is always a possibility.

They beat United 3-0. ANYTHING IS POSSIBLE!

10. MHaifa1913

MHaifa1913 Moderator
    Staff Member

Metro
    United States
    Dec 21, 1998
    New York, NY, USA
    Club:
    Maccabi Haifa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is almost the same group that Maccabi Tel Aviv had when they were in the Champions League. Just replace Bordeaux with Ajax.

Maccabi Tel Aviv already played in Munich as well as numerous other sport competitions so this is the last thing on anyone's mind. The other clubs have also been to Israel and some players for internationals so I doubt that they will make a big deal about coming to Israel unless a war breaks out.

We beat a Manchester United side of first and reserve players after Man United was already through to the next round. I remember players like Wes Brown were in the line-up for Manchester United who was a fringe squad player that season. Kieran Richardson was given his first start and the bench had players like Lee Roche, Mark Lynch, Daniel Nardiello and Mads Timm.

11. Lior_

Lior_ New Member

Mar 26, 2009
    Club:
    Maccabi Netanya FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Israel

Regardless if they were first team or reserve players, they were miles above any player on Haifa, and some were still considered World Class players.
    (oh and no Wes Brown)

Maccabi Haifa: Awat, Zautatas, Harazi, Benado, Badir, Keisi, Ayegbini, Rosso, Zano, Katan, Pralija.
    Subs: Al Madon, Sevilia, Cohen, Zandberg, Israilevich, Gabrin, Almoshnino.

Man Utd: Ricardo, Gary Neville, Silvestre, Ferdinand, O'Shea, Phil Neville, Scholes, Fortune, Richardson, Solskjaer, Forlan.
    Subs: Carroll, May, Pugh, Roche, Lynch, Nardiello, Timms.
    Referee: Antonio Jesus Lopez Nieto (Malaga)

12. Borussia

Borussia Member+

Jun 5, 2006
    Fürth near Nuremberg
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I remember that. But you surely noticed that I meant Maccabi Haifa and not Tel Aviv. ;)

Btw: Your guys are surely clear outsiders, but I think the other teams will travel with a lot of respect to Israel.

13. CTREVS

CTREVS Member

New England Revolution
    Apr 18, 2002
    Hamden
    Club:
    Olympique de Marseille
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Does anyone know if it's possible to order tickets online somewhere? I've been to Israel 3 times including a semester at the Universty of Haifa in 04/05 I'd be interested in going back this winter and trying to go to one of these matches.

14. snowbozo21

snowbozo21 New Member

Nov 15, 2006
    Wandering
    Club:
    Maccabi Haifa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Israel
    Haifa have signed a Brazilian named Tiago Dutro from Villareal on loan. He is a holding midfielder.

15. David-G

David-G Member

Jun 24, 2007
    Miami
    Club:
    Maccabi Haifa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Israel
    Maccabi Haifa hasn't really strengthened their team for the group stages, but invested in youth players instead. I think it's a good policy, but how hard was it too bring one decent experienced player from Europe like Ziv or Strul?

I hope we won't have troubling keeping pace in the league in between the CL matches because I think the squad is a bit too thin.

16. Kappa18

Kappa18 New Member

Aug 9, 2002
    Toronto, Canada
    Club:
    Beitar Jerusalem FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Israel
    Ben Haim was available...... ;)

17. David-G

David-G Member

Jun 24, 2007
    Miami
    Club:
    Maccabi Haifa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Israel
    Juventus brings in Diego and Grosso. Bayern buys Robben. We got Dutra :D

18. Kappa18

Kappa18 New Member

Aug 9, 2002
    Toronto, Canada
    Club:
    Beitar Jerusalem FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Israel
    Robben already has 2 goals at Munich!!

19. greenapes02

greenapes02 New Member

Apr 21, 2009
    Club:
    Maccabi Haifa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Israel
    i think we have a chance to go to the next round i kmow we can beat bordo and i think that it will be beetween us and bayeren for the second place and bayeren with all due respect is coming in as walla qoutes it "\
    an injured lion"

the bottom line is are we as good as yithak shooms team when they came to the champions league?no but is our competition as good? no

20. Lior_

Lior_ New Member

Mar 26, 2009
    Club:
    Maccabi Netanya FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Israel

The competition is MUCH better. We are clear favorites to lose all 6 games.

21. Benayoun

Benayoun New Member

Jun 18, 2009
    Club:
    Maccabi Haifa FC
    What did u smoke ?? As Lior said, we are good candidates to loose the 6 games. I think we are gonna scratch 2 draws, being positive...Nothin else.

And to David G:
    U can't do any comparision with those clubs if we don't talk about the different budgets too...This is just a good chance to take as much money as we can to climb some step up.

22. David-G

David-G Member

Jun 24, 2007
    Miami
    Club:
    Maccabi Haifa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Israel

Yeah, I was just joking about it. I think the difference between us and the other teams is funny.

How did you forget about Juventus? I think they're the best in the group. Bayern is on a complete different level than us. And Bordeaux is the French champion.

23. Benayoun

Benayoun New Member

Jun 18, 2009
    Club:
    Maccabi Haifa FC
    Haha, u are right, it's funny but at least i hope they dont beat us 5-0 on every game.

He didnt forget about Juve, he's sayin that Juve will be the 1º classified, and bayern and maccabi will fight for the second one...Science Fiction

24. greenapes02

greenapes02 New Member

Apr 21, 2009
    Club:
    Maccabi Haifa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Israel
    i dont know why your saying this we have a good team we got the right poeple and playing bayeren and juve at home we can score a fast goal and bordo is a great team but i think we can beat them

25. rct2009

rct2009 Member

Aug 22, 2006
    NY/Bloomington, IN
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No offense greenapes but its like asking the Israel national team to come out second in a group with Argentina, Ivory Coast, and Portugal.....its just not that possible.
    However remember that team from Cyprus last year surprised everyone.....soccer is a funny sport sometimes...hope for the best!