Maccabi Haifa [R], UEFA Champions League, 2009/10

Discussion in 'Israel' started by EvanJ, Jul 8, 2009.

1. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maccabi Haifa [R], UEFA Champions League, 2009-10

http://www.xs4all.nl/~kassiesa/bert/uefa/seedcl2009.html says that Maccabi Haifa is sixth in line for a seed in the Fourth (last) Qualifying Round for Champions which will have five seeded clubs. When the draw is done for the Third Qualifying Round, the Second Qualifying Round will not be over and an unseeded club in the Second Qualifying Round takes the club coefficient of the club it beat for Third Qualifying Round seeding purposes. However, when the draw is done for the Fourth Qualifying Round, the Third Qualifying Round will be over. Maccabi Haifa will be seeded in the Fourth Qualifying Round if they advance that far and at least one of the following five clubs does not:

Olympiakos Piraeus (Greece)
    FC Kobenhavn (Denmark)
    Slavia Prague (Czech Republic)
    Levski Sofia (Bulgaria)
    Partizan Belgrade (Serbia)

Does anybody know whether Maccabi Haifa plays Tuesday or Wednesday next week and what time United States Eastern Time the game is?

2. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. genadinik

genadinik New Member

Aug 15, 2008
    I am watching the first leg now. First half just ended and we are up 1:0

Few points:
    Haifa is dominating attack and possession, but:
    - Little sloppy in the midfield
    - Not able to really connect well on offense
    - goal came from a bunch of bounces
    - they had 4 corners to the other team's zero

4. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  5. genadinik

genadinik New Member

Aug 15, 2008
    2:0 on a VERY nice effort by Yaniv Katan. He really worked the defender. But the passing is still very sloppy and the Irish team is giving up too much space. Against a better team it would be a different story. Although Maccabi does have to get through the 11-man wall to get to the goal, so maybe that is making them look bad on offense.

6. genadinik

genadinik New Member

Aug 15, 2008
    3:0 on a play where they did a very nice job picking apart the defense.

7. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It ended 6:0. On Friday there will be the draw for Qualifying Round 3 and we'll find out the two clubs we could face in that round.

8. MHaifa1913

MHaifa1913 Moderator
    Staff Member

Metro
    United States
    Dec 21, 1998
    New York, NY, USA
    Club:
    Maccabi Haifa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Went to the game tonight. We were sloppy but it is an encouraging start to the season.

9. DaniieLo

DaniieLo New Member

Jun 10, 2007
    Amsterdam (Holland)
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Israel
    I watched the game. Mohamed Ghadir was one of the best players on the field today. I also liked that Golasa replaced the bad playing Culma. Dvalishvili (they new striker of Haifa) looked very well, specially his second goal.
    @ MHaifa1913
    Tell me: How is the Kiryat Eliezer Stadium ?

10. David-G

David-G Member

Jun 24, 2007
    Miami
    Club:
    Maccabi Haifa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Israel
    The second half was fun. But this game doesn't mean much, I think that team wouldn't even make it in Liga Leumit. At least our players look fit though.

One problem I have is with the formation, just like with the national team, I don't like the 2 d-mids. If Elisha wants to go with that formation then he has to buy someone better than Culma. I don't think that midfield will cut it against better teams or even our league.

11. dutsh_shulz

dutsh_shulz New Member

Jun 27, 2008
    Basel
  12. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's a good draw if you think the club coefficients are accurate. FK Aktobe was unseeded in Qualifying Round 2 with the 27th best club coefficient of the 34 clubs in the round. Glentoran was tied for 31st. Kazakhstan's league is ranked 45th in UEFA, one spot ahead of Northern Ireland's.

13. genadinik

genadinik New Member

Aug 15, 2008
    Yes Maccabi Haifa got a great draw :) and are big favorites.

But the Israeli clubs in the Europa League did not get particularly great draws. I would say their chances in each of those are 45%

By the way, can anyone explain why Netanya got such a terrible result in their last game against the team from Malta?

14. Kappa18

Kappa18 New Member

Aug 9, 2002
    Toronto, Canada
    Club:
    Beitar Jerusalem FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Israel
    I heard M. Netanya might get Galatarasay as their next opponent after Silema...

Expect a loss.....and a lot of anti-israeli rhetroic...

:D they should learn how to dodge balls and shoes in this game

15. mfrajman

mfrajman New Member

Jul 18, 2006
    Australia
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Israel
    Here are highlights of Haifa's 6-0 rout of Glentoran:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7fDM4EGjps"]YouTube - Maccabi Haifa 6 Glentoran 0[/ame]

16. David-G

David-G Member

Jun 24, 2007
    Miami
    Club:
    Maccabi Haifa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Israel
    It's a decent draw for Haifa. I'm worried that playing the away leg over there might be tough, but yeah we're expected to pass.

Hapoel got a difficult draw, but I think they have a chance against the Swedish team.

As far as the other draws, considering their current state Netanya will be successful if they lose by less than 5-0 :)

17. greenapes02

greenapes02 New Member

Apr 21, 2009
    Club:
    Maccabi Haifa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Israel
    we looked great against glentoran and im confident that we will pass the next round as well i also alot of technic in our forwards and i thought are defense was preety stable im unhappy about the midfielders effort on geting the ball to the forward

18. MHaifa1913

MHaifa1913 Moderator
    Staff Member

Metro
    United States
    Dec 21, 1998
    New York, NY, USA
    Club:
    Maccabi Haifa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What a terrible draw! Because Aktobe is in the middle of nowhere, I can't fly to this interesting country!

19. Kappa18

Kappa18 New Member

Aug 9, 2002
    Toronto, Canada
    Club:
    Beitar Jerusalem FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Israel
    with your American attitude in Kazakhstan you'd probably get murdered or have one of your kidneys stolen while your sleeping in the hotel...

those Kazakhs don't spend much time with you tourists. Its come in, come out...body bag or a piece of you..they'll take it.... ;) This isn't yavne, motek. This is Alma-ata!

20. GeoffNI

GeoffNI New Member

Jul 21, 2009
    Northern Ireland
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Israel
    Shows you how much we care about this fixture. No Glentoran - Maccabi Haifa coverage in Northern Ireland at all. I believe the Leg from Belfast is also on Channel 10 but not showing here. It will be a 10 second clip on Ulster Television News.

21. MHaifa1913

MHaifa1913 Moderator
    Staff Member

Metro
    United States
    Dec 21, 1998
    New York, NY, USA
    Club:
    Maccabi Haifa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My company has an office in Almaty so I was hoping that the match would be there. That being said, Kazakhstan is a very nice country. I think that your fear of Kazakhi crime is blown way out of proportion. It is not like going to South Ossetia.

22. David-G

David-G Member

Jun 24, 2007
    Miami
    Club:
    Maccabi Haifa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Israel
    Yeah, Kazakhstan isn't that bad of a country despite what Borat will tell you. ;) It's quite wealthy from natural resources and the cities are fairly modern. I never heard of this city we're going to though.

23. David-G

David-G Member

Jun 24, 2007
    Miami
    Club:
    Maccabi Haifa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Israel
    Aktobe agreed to Maccabi Haifa's request to play the match on Tuesday the 28th so we don't have to play on Tisha B'Av.

24. Kappa18

Kappa18 New Member

Aug 9, 2002
    Toronto, Canada
    Club:
    Beitar Jerusalem FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Israel
    How about you do a mitzva a get me into this 'company' of yours. Be looking to do an aliyah. Help out a jew :)

What is it even? Bazis?

I remember back in gr. 9 there was this Kazakh kid in my school. He was russian 100% but was born in Kazhakstan..that fooker was 100% anti-Jewish. He wrote in his yearly essay that he was surprised that there was 'too many jews' in the school. Never seen jews like that..or at all...

When Borat came out.. I was not laughing one bit......
    maybe a little :angel:

25. greenapes02

greenapes02 New Member

Apr 21, 2009
    Club:
    Maccabi Haifa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Israel
    srry to ruin your political debate about the kazakhstan terorist but does anyone where i can watch the game