Mac Website design questions

Discussion in 'Technology' started by panicfc, Jul 1, 2005.

1. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey guys,

i want to design a website. Any Mac stuff out there to do it easy and inexpensively?

thanks,

Panic

2. mateo319

mateo319 Member

Jul 19, 2004
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Depends on how much you want to learn, are willing to spend, and what you need to do. Dreamweaver is a powerful WYSIWYG editor that can be had for $99 education price. DW also has a 30 day evaluation period.

Netscape composer will also get the job done, but you'll need to run either 4.x in Classic mode or compile the Mozilla suite from source, which means using the command line.

If you want to learn HTML, then pop open Textedit and a web tutorial and get to it. There are also free text editors like jedit out there that have more features. Things like BBEdit are more expensive versions of the same marketed at web developers.

Notice these are all for HTML, if you want to manipulate images, something like image viewer is needed.

This is all very general, what are you looking to do?

3. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just do some web design. I'm a complete novice to this stuff, so Dreamweaver is probably the way to go. Education price... my son's in high school does that count?

4. mateo319

mateo319 Member

Jul 19, 2004
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Absolutely. :)

5. mateo319

mateo319 Member

Jul 19, 2004
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    BTW, the evaluation period is really nice. You have full use of the software, it is not crippled in any way. So that may help in your decision.

6. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's pretty cool. I'll see if the finance committee will approve.
    (wife)