Mac users: Help me switch

Discussion in 'Technology' started by sarabella, May 25, 2006.

1. Zak

Zak Member

Feb 18, 2002
    Massive Club
    The power chord issue really pisses me off, but that is the only, and I mean ONLY, issue I've ever had. I've had my apple for three years, G4 PB and it runs like the day that I bought it. I've dropped it several times, and it's still in great working order. This was the first Apple I had bought, and it was worth every penny. Quality product, apart from the chord which needs to be replaced annually because the part that plugs into the wall fold down off of the adapter and becomes loose after a certain amount of usage. Perhaps the biggest design flaw in Apple history that I'm aware of.

2. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    I have a much cheaper replacement that seems more durable. I don't have it with me but let me know if you want to know the maker - I got it from Amazon for like $30. I think there are a couple of options out there.

3. Zak

Zak Member

Feb 18, 2002
    Massive Club
    Yes please let me know. I just can't see paying the price the Apple store is asking.

4. IntheNet

IntheNet New Member

Nov 5, 2002
    Northern Virginia
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Zak: You'll be happy to learn that the new power cords Apple supplies with their MacBook line feature enhancements at both ends; an innovative magnetic connection to laptop and a much tighter wall-mount fold-down adapter... I have used mine for about a year on an Intel Macbook with no problems whatsoever.

5. dark knight

Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    The one I bought was from Macally from Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Macally-PS-AC...1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1187395819&sr=8-1

The problem is the female portion of the power supply I think was damaged from dropping my laptop so I have to twirl the male portion to get connected sometimes. Since it's cheap, it doesn't have that cool light up in yellow or green feature when it's plugged in.

6. Dyvel

Dyvel Member+

Jul 24, 1999
    The dog end of a day gone by
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    I got home about three hours ago wiht my new iMac. I purchased the basic model. If I need too, I'll add more RAM myself. Damm, this thing is nice.

Any ideas on where to donate my old iMac?

[​IMG]

7. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    donate it to a local school, get your tax writeoff and be a good person.
    :)

8. chapulincolorado

Jul 14, 1999
    McAllen, Texas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Sure PM's so I can give you my physical mailing address and you can send it c/o Chapulincolorado Needs An iMac Foundation. :D

9. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There seem to be a lot of "cheap 3rd party versions" with Mac/Apple. I bought a ~$30 iPod charger that connects the USB cable and the wall.

After losing it, I looked around on eBay and bought an iPod charger for around $7.02, shipping included. It works, it's a lot less expensive than the original, and the cord and plug are one piece.

10. Visca...

Visca... Member

Sep 13, 2004
    ATL
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    pretty cool :cool:

[​IMG]

11. Sachsen

Sachsen Member+

Aug 8, 2003
    Broken Arrow, Okla.
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jealous of you with the new iMac, but I can't complain about mine - I bought my white iMac right after Apple went to Intel chips, in Feb 2006. Love it love it love it. First Mac I ever bought and I'm a total fanboy now. Read Daring Fireball several times a day. Stuck the decal in my window. Went to Tulsa's store opening and sat in line for many hours to get a T-shirt.

Rock on Apple!

Now to get one of those new keyboards..... :drool:

12. Dyvel

Dyvel Member+

Jul 24, 1999
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    I'm sure that in six months my iMac will be rendered obsolete.

13. Visca...

Visca... Member

Sep 13, 2004
    ATL
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    those keyboards are sweet

14. Dyvel

Dyvel Member+

Jul 24, 1999
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Widgets are the greatest thing since sliced bread.

15. Zak

Zak Member

Feb 18, 2002
    Massive Club
    Hello all, I need some help...

First I have a PB G4 1.33 ghz 256mb of RAM, running OSX 10.3.

Over the past couple of weeks I've been getting the multi colored pinwheel an awful lot. Obviously I'm a little light on RAM, but it's never been a problem in the past; and I've not added or changed my usage at all.

Any advice?

I was thinking about doing a rebuild but can't find my restore disk, or my airport xpress disk.

I could upgrade to Tiger, but Leopard comes out soon, so I was going to wait.

Thanks in advance.

16. dark knight

Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    Do you have Itunes? Lots of music?

You can't upgrade until you get more RAM, you are really lite. I would recommend 500MB of Ram at minimum.

17. Zak

Zak Member

Feb 18, 2002
    Massive Club
    As I consider my options I'm weighing the following:

My battery has now gone bad...$129
    My power chord is shot...$79
    Ram...$150
    Leopard...$150

Total....$508.

It's not a stretch in logic, for me at least, to look at a middle of the road imac or powerbook. I'll wait for Leopard to come out before I make a decision.

Just feels like it's time for an upgrade.

18. dark knight

Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    Yeah - I'm in the same boat - my hard drive is maxed out, I need more memory, my power cord is beat up - I just won't settle for anything other than another silver aluminimum model - what's now the MacBookPro and I can't really justify dropping 2500 which is probably what it will be at the end of the day.

Your problem really sounds like a RAM issue. You need more.

19. Zak

Zak Member

Feb 18, 2002
    Massive Club
    I felt the same way about the pro until I looked at the stats, the $1300 macbook is about the same as the lowest end pro. For what I'd use it for, it's hard to justify the increased cost.

I'll probably make the move the day it's available with Leopard on it.

Have you used iWork by the way?

20. Horsehead

Horsehead Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 2, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Zak, when is it beachballing? Is it while surfing? I've noticed that the latest version of Safari sometimes clogs up and spins. Have you upgraded any software versions lately? I know you say you haven't added anything, but for an example, Firefox updates itself, not through the Software Update. I'm asking because while your memory is very low, if it worked fine before and all of a sudden it's not....

@DK - Did replacing your bad memory fix your problem from a few weeks ago?

21. Zak

Zak Member

Feb 18, 2002
    Massive Club
    That seems accurate; as it happens predominately while surfing.

22. dark knight

Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    I used to have problems with Safari like this too - although adding memory I think helped. I tend to use Firefox as well and have less of a problem.

It definitely was the bad memory, because replacing it with my old 250MB chip solved the problem, although now I get a lot of beachballing especially when I try to run Itunes and I can't play a DVD without it freezing up. I returned the 500MB chip because it had a lifetime warranty, but haven't received it back yet. I really would like to have 1gig of memory but for now - even though it's fairly cheap - I'm going to live with 750MB, but it's not quite enough. Thanks.

Sounds like Zak isn't going to do this, but I bet loading Leopard on our machines probably isn't a great idea because we max out at 1gig of RAM and I'm not sure that's going to be enough.

23. IvanIV

IvanIV King of all He purveys

Apr 8, 2006
    TN
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    new question:

what application do i use to run MSN messenger? Or can I even use this now?

thanks.

24. Dr. Know

Dr. Know Member+

Dec 5, 2005
    Macondo
    Search in google for the MSN Messenger for Mac and just download that.

25. IvanIV

IvanIV King of all He purveys

Apr 8, 2006
    TN
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    genuis!