Mac users: Help me switch

Discussion in 'Technology' started by sarabella, May 25, 2006.

1. IvanIV

IvanIV King of all He purveys

Apr 8, 2006
    TN
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    AAhh...Yes, yer right I did get the normal burner. And is this "super drive" external? And how much does it cost?

Thanks in advance.

2. JeremyEritrea

JeremyEritrea Member+

Jun 29, 2006
    Takoma Park, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was thinking of getting my wife a MacBook for Christmas. She wants somethign light and small. Is the "standard" out of the box 13" MacBook, that sells for $1,099, a decent machine? Or would I need to upgrade it a bit?

She's a Windows programmer, but she really is considering the Mac for personal use.

3. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006
    I'm looking at purchasing also. I have a PDF comparing the 2.16 13" MacBook - 2.2 15" MacBookPro - 2.4 15" MacBookPro

I don't know how to post a PDF, but I'll e-mail it if you want it.

4. Dadinho

Dadinho Member

Feb 19, 2005
    San Diego
    Club:
    Vitoria Salvador
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, you can, atleast with my PPC powerbook. I assume it is the same with the Intel chip.

5. eltico

eltico Member

Jul 16, 2000
    Thanks again to everyone who has posted on this thread -- I keep going back to it to learn more about what I can do with my new MacBook. That said, can anyone recommend a decent book that I could/should have at my side as I make my techno-ignorant transition from PC to Mac?

6. Magpie Maniac

Magpie Maniac Member

Dec 28, 2001
    North Carolina, USA
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The 13" MacBook is a very solid machine. Well-built, durable, and very stable. Jobs often paraphrases the guy who once said that developers who are passionate about software should make their own hardware. Apple does that well.

I'd go ahead and make sure you get at least 2 GB of RAM in preparation for the October release of Leopard.

7. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006
    Just look carefully at what you are paying in upgrades
    If you add more RAM, and a larger HD, you might be close to the price of a 15" MacBook Pro. (I don't know, I need to look in to that)

8. Daniel from Montréal

Aug 4, 2000
    Montréal
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    You can get good, guaranteed RAM that you can install yourself at sites like www.canadaram.com.

9. Dr. Know

Dr. Know Member+

Dec 5, 2005
    Macondo
  10. Visca...

Visca... Member

Sep 13, 2004
    ATL
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    hmm, I don't think so. At least from Apple, no (an external Superdrive that is). I guess you can put one in.

I'm sure they have good brand dvd burners that are compatible with a MAC though.

11. IvanIV

Apr 8, 2006
    TN
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks!

So this is something I can download then?

12. Visca...

Visca... Member

Sep 13, 2004
    ATL
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    No. You need an actual dvd burner. Since you don't have one, your options are to get an external one who is compatible with MAC or go to the apple store and have them put one in (internal) for you. Or do it yourself :D, but if you don't know what you're doing then you should just take it over there.

13. IvanIV

Apr 8, 2006
    TN
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Aahhh....It has a dvd player, and iMovie HD, iDVD.

14. Dyvel

Dyvel Member+

Jul 24, 1999
    The dog end of a day gone by
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
  15. Magpie Maniac

Magpie Maniac Member

Dec 28, 2001
    North Carolina, USA
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Indeed. If I didn't already have a MacBook with over two years left on its AppleCare warranty, I'd be tempted to get a new iMac. With Leopard coming out soon and the new updates to iLife and iWork hitting this week, I've a good mind to buy one as a family computer the kids could use. Maybe something to consider for Christmas.

16. Dr. Know

Dr. Know Member+

Dec 5, 2005
    Macondo
    I just saw them about an hour ago at the Apple store and they look great. The screen is glossy and the new keyboard design is sweet.

17. IvanIV

Apr 8, 2006
    TN
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's what mine looks like.

18. Visca...

Visca... Member

Sep 13, 2004
    ATL
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    :confused:

When did you get yours? Didn't these just get released?

19. Paul.eta

Paul.eta Member

Jan 21, 2003
    Anyone else experience video troubles (black screen, lines through the screen...) in their 12" g4 ibooks? I've had mine for around 3 years and the logic board crapped out on me last week. I've been reading on other websites and it seems that there was a recall on the g3 ibook's because of a similiar problem, but not with the 12" g4 ibooks...

Not sure what to do as my warranty expired in 05, you guys think I have a good case getting a replacement (macbook :D) from apple because of quality control issues? I think the notebook should have lasted longer than 3 years seeing how i know people who have older laptops than I do.

20. Jacen McCullough

Nov 23, 1998
    Maryland
    How long do Macs usually last? My girlfriend and I are both looking at getting Macs and we're both looking at grad school in a couple years. If we buy a Mac next year, how long should we expect it to run well? (never owned a Mac before, but I'm intrigued by the idea- especially since my last PC laptop, a Toshiba, has been absolute crap in the durability dept.)

21. Daniel from Montréal

Aug 4, 2000
    Montréal
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Most PCs and Macs made today will probably be able to run common web browsing and simple functions for many years to come.

22. Magpie Maniac

Magpie Maniac Member

Dec 28, 2001
    North Carolina, USA
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In our house, we have a MacBook, a Dell Inspiron, and an IBM ThinkPad. In terms of hardward quality, workmanship, and durability, I would rank the three:
    1. MacBook
    2. ThinkPad
    3. Inspiron

The Dell is pure crap. The keys start getting a little wiggly after a while and it starts to creak and groan. The ThinkPad is a bit better, but neither the Dell or IBM notebook are as solid as the MacBook. That's the word for Macs: solid. Everything is so tight and well-made.

As for software, that's more subjective. Leopard (the new Mac OS 10.5) arrives in October and it will definitely be worth the wait. Just when MS thinks they're about to catch up by releasing Vista, Apple leaves them in the dust once again with a new OS release. :p

[youtube]TaIUkwPybtM[/youtube]

23. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    Mine has lasted past the 3 year warranty, but I'd probably buy another warranty if I got another one. The only issue I've had with my Powerbook (now called MacBook Pro) is the power cord - it's really expensive and breaks easily. Not sure if the new MacBook Pros have the same problem, but after breaking two powercords, I finally realized there is a cheap 3rd party version.

Also, to echo what was mentioned earlier, don't skimp on RAM, although buying non-Apple memory might also be a cheaper way to go.

24. Horsehead

Horsehead Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 2, 2006
    Los Angeles
    The magsafe power cable on Mac laptops since Jan06 allows the connector to harmlessly pop out when yanked, but stays in firmly the rest of the time. This was an ingenious solution, I've been really happy with it as I had the same problems you did.

It used to be that Apple had ridiculous prices to add memory but recently the basic memory upgrades have much become more competitive. The Macbook comes with 1GB of memory (2x512K chips.) To go to 2GB (which I would recommend, it makes a nice difference) is only a $150 upgrade from Apple. You can get the same (which is 2x1GB) for about $100-$110 elsewhere, but it means making a separate order, time spent ordering & installing, shipping costs, chance that they send the wrong one, etc. Also, if you get it from Apple, it will be a part of your Apple warranty.

To answer Jacen's question, it's usually a get-what-you-pay-for deal. For PCs, the high end ones are mostly well built, the low to medium end ones start to fall apart (unless it only sits on a desk and never moves.) But in general, even the lowest end Mac laptops are well built and hold together well. Apple doesn't make laptops below $1000, they've decided to try to stay away from producing laptops that might make some people happy price-wise, but are not of much quality. On the previous page of this thread there is a discussion about which MacBook to buy - the base model with a memory upgrade is a very good value.

25. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    Good to know - because man the power cord thing pissed me off. One of my powercords was finished off just by a cat chewing on the end. Very flimsy and very expensive.

Good to hear about memory also.