M.i.a

Discussion in 'Movies, TV and Music' started by astabooty, Jul 9, 2005.

1. astabooty

astabooty Member

Nov 16, 2002
    China
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. Mad_Bishop

Mad_Bishop Member

Oct 11, 2000
    Columbia, MO
    I'm not huge on Arular, but the M.I.A/Diplo remix album "Piracy Funds Terrorism" is freaking fantastic.

3. amerifolklegend

amerifolklegend New Member

Jul 21, 1999
    Oakley, America
    So basically she decided that she liked Kelis and Gwen Stafani so much that she had just had to make an album that mixes Milkshake and Hollaback Girl over and over and over again.

4. quentinc

quentinc New Member

Jan 3, 2005
    Annapolis, MD
    I heard her single, and didn't really like it. The production seemed downright cheesy.

5. servotron

servotron New Member

Mar 4, 2004
    St Paul, MN
    My wife got this album a few months ago. It's catchy, but honestly I dont think it's going to have a whole lot of staying power.

6. gaijin

gaijin New Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Malaysia
    Missing in Acton

Jesus Christ....

It seems like ages since I first heard Galang (gotta be at least 18 months ago...)

7. 655321

655321 New Member

Jul 21, 2002
    The Mission, SF

It's supposed to pretty DYI, handmade stuff, which can easily come across that way.

I'm not a huge fan of the record either, but her live shows are supposed to be outstanding.

8. quentinc

quentinc New Member

Jan 3, 2005
    Annapolis, MD
    Yeah, supposedly she was some hot ******** down at SXSW.

9. Footix

Footix Member

Dec 11, 1998
    Left Of The Dial
    They were, but apparently Diplo has left her shows, and I've heard the live set has really sufferred.

I love "Arular", but it makes the missus crazy.

10. minorthreat

minorthreat Member

Jan 1, 2001
    NYC
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Anyone know a Tamil speaker that can tell us what "Arular" and "Galang" actually mean?

11. gaijin

gaijin New Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Malaysia
    Not sure, but the name was her father's code name when he was a member of the LTTE (the Tamil Tigers to you or me.)

Galang possibly comes from the island of the same name, off the coast of Singapore... Plus the infamous Galang refugee camp that probably houses impovrished Tamil people.

12. writered21

writered21 Member+

Jul 14, 2001
    Middle of the Road
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Whichever one has the "Sanford and Son" theme sampled in the background, that's not bad.

Though, it says something about modern music when the highlight of the song is Redd Foxx's "You big dummy!"

Liked M.I.A. the first few times I caught it on XM - but not enough to buy a CD.

13. scaryice

scaryice Member

Jan 25, 2001
    Been listening to this a lot recently, and I love it.

14. Canadian_Supporter

Staff Member

Dec 20, 1999
    Prostějov, CR
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    She did a small tour back in February in select cities in Canada and the US (I think 5 cities). There has been buzz about her for the last year or so. I'm not a fan, but I have a friend who is into UK grime so he is aware of hip hop in the UK and thus I hear about it. Personally, I think Ms Dynamite is better.

Part of a review from her show at The Drake in Toronto

"Combining dancehall with a more accessible style of rap, M.I.A.’s (a.k.a. Maya Arul) songs are a perfect fit for the North American club scene. With her unique style and good looks, she will undoubtedly be the next big thing. But for now she’ll have to settle for the buzz that’s surrounding her upcoming release, Arular, and by the looks of the sold out Drake hotel crowd, the majority of people who are aware of the buzz right now are a bunch of greasy white boys that look like Kevin Drew from Broken Social Scene (who was actually there).

Now there’s nothing wrong with greasy white boys, but for a show that involved a lot of dancing, watching these guys shake their hips was painful. They couldn’t even wave their hands on beat."

http://www.chartattack.com/damn/2005/02/0410.cfm

Kevin Drew
    [​IMG]