Lyngby back to superliga

Discussion in 'Scandinavia' started by Adrian P., Jul 2, 2003.

1. Adrian P.

Adrian P. New Member

Jul 2, 2003
    Copenhagen Denmark
    When talking about Lyngby a smaller Copenhagen Club called Frem that have won the Danish Championship 6 times are back in the Superliga. 1994 or 95 they were relegated to the DS for the same reason as Lyngby. It took them nearly 10 years to come back to the superleague.

2. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How long before Lyngby gets back?

I thought you had some story about Lyngby merging and gaining promotion.

3. Adrian P.

Adrian P. New Member

Jul 2, 2003
    Copenhagen Denmark
    The owner of Lyngby wanted Lyngby to merge with Farum last year. So to say that he bought a share in Farum and Farum got all the players. Farum already had gained the Superliga spot and had a new super stadium, paid by a very corrupt Mayor of Farum (He was also the president af Farum footballklub) . But the fans opposed because they rather wanted to go bankrupt than merge with a another Copenhagen Suburb they werent even close to. So Lyngby went bankrupt and the amateur part of the klub was relegated down to the DS (4th level) last year while the pros went stopped to exist. Now the amateur department of Lyngby are up in 2nd Division (3rd Level) and are now allowed to sign contracts.

The Ironically thing is that after Lyngby went bankrupt most of the team went to Farum. But the Lyngby fans kept their pride.

If Lyngby are extremely Lucky they can be in the superleague in 2 years time but i think that would be almost impossible.

4. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If they do it in 3 or 4 years and have their finances in order that would be great.

5. Adrian P.

Adrian P. New Member

Jul 2, 2003
    Copenhagen Denmark
    Well they have the club culture but they have two Major problems, the one that much of their professional organisation has to be built from scratch and the other are that the Council of Lyngby has the last many years said no to rebuilt the stadium which they need to sustain economic stability with. Seriously their Stadium are quit at dumbyard, well with another small stand built a couple of years ago its a bit better than a dumbyard but lacks necessry sponsorfacilities and good seatings, most are still standings or terracces.

6. rwright92688

rwright92688 New Member

Aug 2, 2003
    O.C., CA
    How can a 2nd division club (as Lyngby is now) even think of splashing out cash for stadium upgrades? Especially in light of their recent financial fiasco!?! Don't get me wrong ... for whatever reason I was drawn to Lyngby when I became curious about Danish fodbold a few years ago. I desperately want them back in the Superligaen (where they belong), but I think that for the moment they have to be viewed as what they are ... a 2nd division club. The glory days are closer in the rear view mirror than they are in the windshield, unfortunately. (But I'm still hoping for a miracle!)

7. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lyngby will be back in the Superliga - rest assured. They will need a better stadium to compete or they'll continue to have the financial problems of their immediate past.

8. Adrian P.

Adrian P. New Member

Jul 2, 2003
    Copenhagen Denmark
    One thing Lyngby have Is a very fanatical Fanclub.

But hey let us look at the positive Frem went bankrupt the same ways as Lyngby and now 10 years later they are back in the topflight (Though I think they will struggle to survive)(They lost 2-0 to Brondby this Sunday).

9. rwright92688

rwright92688 New Member

Aug 2, 2003
    O.C., CA
    "Frem went bankrupt the same ways as Lyngby and now 10 years later they are back in the topflight"

Do you think Lyngby should be looking at the same timeframe? ... or can they recover quicker and realistically be back within 5 years or so?

"They will need a better stadium to compete"

I'm not trying to say that they DON'T need a better stadium; I'm just questioning whether it's an option that's affordable to them in the near future (this year). I admit I don't understand the financing involved, but it just "feels" like they have to find their feet first before thinking of making those kinds of investments.

10. Adrian P.

Adrian P. New Member

Jul 2, 2003
    Copenhagen Denmark
    No doubt about they have to find their feet first.

5 years or 10 years? hard to say it's minimum 2 years but the problem Is who is leading Lyngby. Hans Bjerg Petersen the former president has almost nothing to do with Lyngby after a Coup d'etat from Flemming Østergaard that later became president of FC Copenhagen. Later another President came to Lyngby and wanted to sell the club to Farum. Lyngby lays in a area were many rich people live and therefore they have many potential sponsors but all these always wants to move to something thats bigger...... the nature of Capitalism.

Frem has the huge advantage that they are a workerclass club with strong Ideals, so they don't risk chaos on the same way as Lyngby on the managerial front although they don't have any resources other than their many fans.

Frem has no chance to get a new stadium because the City of Copenhagen won't pay and the city won't probably allow them to get investors to rebuild their stadium...... Lyngby has the chance although the City and Potential Investors through many years has fought a war with each other about a stadium so nothing probably happens in the first 10 years.

11. rwright92688

rwright92688 New Member

Aug 2, 2003
    O.C., CA
    Thanks to Adrian P. for all the insight. Maybe my line of questioning goes to the enthusiasm of Lyngby's fan base versus the enthusiasm of current or potential sponsors(?) I think it's terrific that there WASN'T a merger and that Lyngby have retained their own identity. Of course, everyone knew that the club in it's present form would be much diluted from the original, but it says a lot that the die-hard fans would be willing to wait for future success just so long as it was still "their" team. How has that translated into sponsorship enthusiasm though? Clearly they won't have the same exposure as clubs in even the 1st division. Was there a fire sale among sponsors or has there been some loyalty expressed here as well? It seems like no one doubts that Lyngby will be back in the Supeliga and that it's just a matter of time. I'm trying to get a handle on whether this is based in reality or hopeful wishing of the fans.

12. Adrian P.

Adrian P. New Member

Jul 2, 2003
    Copenhagen Denmark
    I don't know if the PFA Pension is still the main sponsor of the team (They were in many years), but they sponsor the youth department still.

The problem might be that the former owner of Lyngby that wanted to merge with Farum is out and angry on the city, that they didn't want to build a new stadium to him. Which seems odd since he wanted to merge with Farum, but as said he is out. Lyngby FC don't exist any more they are dead. Now the club are Called Lyngby Boldklub as in the old amateur days.

The team changed name from Lyngby Boldklub in the 90's because the team went bankrupt trying to be pro. Flemming Østergaard then made an fast move created Lyngby FC Pro before the LB went bankrupt. Now the LB are back how Ironically.

One thing is for sure, Lyngby has been close to close down several times the last 15 years. Every time they had a mass exodus of players going to other teams as most of Lyngby FC team are playing in Farum (also Ironicall) but they have somehow managed to build a new strong team from nothing, and thats probablu cause of the strong youth programme the old Sponsor PFA still sponsors.

13. Wowbagger

Wowbagger New Member

Jul 9, 2003
    Denmark
    And by the way, Brøndby had financial problems around the same time as Frem. In fact, they had less money than Frem, but for some reason a lot of sponsors jumped to help Brøndby, while noone cared about Frem. Frem finished second or third in their last Superliga season, and had a fine youth development program. And in Odense, B1909 went bankrupt, something that could never happen to OB, since all the rich peoples children play in OB, while B1909 comes from the semi-ghetto Vollsmose. What does this show us? Well, it shows that money is everything in modern football, obviously. It shows that certain clubs will always be safe, while others have to struggle just to keep their players from running off as soon as some corrupt businessmen start throwing some money around. No, I'm not bitter, not at all. OK, just a little. But I think Frem has shown the way for all the clubs that don't have enough rich supporters. It is possible to come back. And all in all, I think Lyngby is better prepared to get back than Frem was. I wish you luck.

14. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Go Lyngby!

My buddy Derk was there for a season and has wonderful things to say about the club.

He also said their youth development was excellent.