Lynden Gooch

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by John McGuirk, Aug 21, 2016.

1. John McGuirk

John McGuirk Member+

Jun 12, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gooch has started back to back premier league matches @ Sunderland. Let's keep an eye on this young man's season.

2. John McGuirk

John McGuirk Member+

Jun 12, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Near assist to Januzaj.

3. Gilma1990

Gilma1990 Member+

Jul 30, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1-0 Middlesbrough

John McGuirk repped this.
  4. John McGuirk

John McGuirk Member+

Jun 12, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Very nice shot

5. Gilma1990

Gilma1990 Member+

Jul 30, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh well at least Guzano can get the win.

6. John McGuirk

John McGuirk Member+

Jun 12, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He reminds me of Emanuele Giaccherini, both in appearance and playing style.

Rahbiefowlah repped this.
  7. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What made Sunderland want a player coming from a club that got relegated out of League One? He was on Doncaster Rovers, who got relegated, albeit with a better goal differential than Bury who was 7 spots ahead of them.

He got yellow cards in each of his first two games. If he does that in WCQs he'd get suspended quickly.

8. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    He can replace the very overrated Bedoya. He can play winger, AM and CM. Good replacement for Bedoya who's NT stock was better off with a French flag next to the name of his club team on wikipedia. That really helped his reputation.

tab5g repped this.
  9. Guinho

Guinho Member+

San Jose Earthquakes, bless their hearts
    Estonia
    May 27, 2001
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am afraid he will have to change his name because someone else has the trademark on Gooch.

That aside very cool to have another young American on the radar. Is it just me or is there a real crop of youngsters in the premier league right now?

COMtnGuy repped this.
  10. Bob Morocco

Bob Morocco Member+

Aug 11, 2003
    Billings, MT
    He was a long time, successful youth player for Sunderland.

11. John McGuirk

John McGuirk Member+

Jun 12, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lil Gooch

Guinho repped this.
  12. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Goochinho.

Goocharito.

13. justinpaul10

justinpaul10 Member+

Sep 2, 2013
    Most interestingly he showed he has some of the skillset to play Dmid. He is an excellent ball winner and his work rate is exceptional. If they play him in that position for the rest of the season maybe he could develop his mid range passing and spatial awareness. He would be Beckermann 2.0.

14. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Against a bunkering Middlesborough who was trying to hang onto a lead. I think he plays good enough defense to play the 8. It might take some learning to have him playing as a 6. Thats why I say he's positionally similar to Bedoya, and I think there's similar talent level at this point. Gooch is not the most skilled, he's not terrible in the skill department, but its not his strength. A better Bedoya is what I expect.

15. justinpaul10

justinpaul10 Member+

Sep 2, 2013
    I could see the resemblance but I also think he could be a Beckermann with better range. I think he is a better ball winner (on limited sample size the Bedoya) and can strike it better than Beckermann. And has better dribbling ability than either. So guess we will see.

16. TxEx

TxEx Member+

Tottenham Hotspur, Crystal Palace, FC Dallas
    Aug 19, 2016
    DFW
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    He's a Sunderland player who got loaned to Doncaster last season. He's been a part of their youth set up for a while. Once the loan was over he returned to his parent club which is suffering an injury crisis. His play so far should encourage Moyes to continue giving him chances.

COMtnGuy and y-lee-coyote repped this.
  17. DeAndresHaircut

DeAndresHaircut Member+

Jul 24, 2015
    Pennsylvania
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know Gooch is an attacker, but I'm pretty sure he made more tackles in these past two games than Michael Bradley has in the past two years.

sXeWesley, USAMEX10, nowherenova and 7 others repped this.
  18. y-lee-coyote

y-lee-coyote Member+

Dec 4, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    This.

I also do not see enough talent on Sunderland to keep him out of games, even with everyone fit (which almost never happens at this level, unless your Leicester). They have been woeful in all parts of the pitch for some time. A guy who does a job and puts himself about at two or three spots is going to get on the pitch for them. I was actually encouraged with his play.

USMNT really really needs some help in the midfield already. For my money if he stays healthy he will get regular minutes for them, but needs to get his fitness up to 90 mins. I know he ran his arse off, but if it is not his game to conserve some energy when the game allows, then he has to get more fit, or it might be difficult to name him a starter knowing that burns a sub. Although regular tactical sub in any PL team is still quite an accomplishment.

exref and 21st Century Pele repped this.
  19. Rahbiefowlah

Rahbiefowlah Member+

Oct 22, 2001
    Las Vegas
    Guys you're late to the party....

It's Young Gucci

764620703400357888 is not a valid tweet id

sXeWesley, napper, Guinho and 8 others repped this.
  20. Rahbiefowlah

Rahbiefowlah Member+

Oct 22, 2001
    Las Vegas
    And a video with all his good touches

767511306152837120 is not a valid tweet id

21. GiallorossiYank

GiallorossiYank Member+

Jan 20, 2011
    NJ/Roma/Napoli
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If he could be 75% of what Giacc is, we'd have ourselves a player

dwsmith1972 repped this.
  22. John McGuirk

John McGuirk Member+

Jun 12, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    good stuff

23. John McGuirk

John McGuirk Member+

Jun 12, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    bahaha

YOUNG GUCCI!

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  24. tbonepat11

tbonepat11 Member+

Jun 21, 2001
    I like Gooch at LM. He has a winger mentality. Attacking the end line and whipping crosses in. It is refreshing to see and something we have been missing with the nats (minus Yedlin in spurts).

From what I have seen from him so far he absolutely deserves a closer look and a run out. I already prefer him to Bedoya and Zardes.

sXeWesley and USAMEX10 repped this.
  25. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I saw him at Dallas Cup with U20's and he was in central midfield with Acosta. I loved his attitude and work rate but at least at that time I felt he was a bit out of position and should have been closer to goal. Left mid/winger may be a good spot for him or second forward. Nothing wrong with those tackling skills being used closer to goal and he is a bull near goal.

Marko72 repped this.