Luxembourg

Discussion in 'UEFA and Europe' started by Brihodge, Aug 5, 2002.

1. Brihodge

Brihodge New Member

Apr 27, 2001
    Unterwegs
    Anyone know anything at all about the Luxembourg league? No seriously, i want to see a game and i can't find any information anywhere about the league. Any overview pages or team websites would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

2. Huss

Huss Member

Aug 1, 1995
    New York, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Do they have a league there? Wow.

3. Brihodge

Brihodge New Member

Apr 27, 2001
    Unterwegs
    Yeah, they actually have a league, I saw the rankings in the back of Kicker, and well I guess no one else posts in this forum, but it'd be nice to get some replies. Can I moderate myself in this forum Huss? Thanks for at least bumping it.

4. darrenjolley

darrenjolley Member

Mar 5, 2002
    Chorley, England
    Check out this website http://www.rsssf.com/tables/lux02.html As for catching a game this is one country where I think you should have no problem getting tickets by just turning up. Your main problem will be how to get info on fixtures etc. (I do not know if you speak French or German).

5. Brihodge

Brihodge New Member

Apr 27, 2001
    Unterwegs
    Darren, thanks for all the info you've been giving me, I speak german but french is totally beyond me, so i hope that most of the people will speak german with me.

6. darrenjolley

darrenjolley Member

Mar 5, 2002
    Chorley, England
    If you speak German then the following site may be useful http://rtl.lu/news/sport/football/. I think the majority of Luxembourg people do speak German, although like the above site it is a dialect.

7. DennisM

DennisM Member

Dec 10, 2000
    Nya Sverige
    First of all, they speak a dialect of German that most people in Germany would not understand. Despite the fact that Ipswich will be playing a lesser Luxembourg team on Thursday, I wondered do they ever show football on TV in Luxembourg? I mean for example during those big important Jeunesse/Dudelange derbies.

8. darrenjolley

darrenjolley Member

Mar 5, 2002
    Chorley, England
    I seem to remember seeing a programme that did show (brief) highlights of the Luxembourg league on satellite television (RTL4). This however was on in the middle of the night when the channel seemed to be given over to regional programmes. I would imagine TV schedules would be somewhere on the RTL website at http://rtl.lu.

9. darrenjolley

darrenjolley Member

Mar 5, 2002
    Chorley, England
    Just found another useful site at http://f91.org.lu/liens.htm
    Also for info in German try to pick up a copy of '1000 tips Eurocup'. In English you can read a review of the domestic league in Luxembourg (and just about every other European country) in 'The European Football Yearbook' by Mike Hammond. (published annually by sportspages).

10. gerby

gerby Member

Jan 14, 2001
    South of Belgium
    I live at about 45 miles from Luxembourg and work in the capital city.No problems with tickets just go the day of the match and you'll get as much as you want.Regarding the linguish almost everybody speak german and french.
    If you want informations about the teams try this address: www.football.nethut.no and for the stadiums you can go to: www.eurostadiums.com (it covers almost all Europe).

11. Brihodge

Brihodge New Member

Apr 27, 2001
    Unterwegs
    Gerby,

I'm looking into going to a game and don't have a car so if you could tell me which teams are located in the capital (and are therefore easily accessible by train) it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

12. gerby

gerby Member

Jan 14, 2001
    South of Belgium
    So the easiest stadium to reach would be "Josy Barthel stadium" that hosts Union Luxembourg in Luxembourg city.If you arrive by train you take a bus and after 15 minutes you're at the entrance of the stadium.Another possibility would be to take another train from Luxembourg to Esch sur Alzette to go and watch Jeunesse Esch play but I have no idea if the stadium is far away from the train station.

13. Brihodge

Brihodge New Member

Apr 27, 2001
    Unterwegs
    Many thanks for the help, I'm thinking I'll try to see Union play.