Luther Vandross dead

Discussion in 'Movies, TV and Music' started by Ian McCracken, Jul 1, 2005.

1. Ian McCracken

Ian McCracken Member

May 28, 1999
    USA
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Well, that blows. Not that I was a big fan, but he was obviously a talented singer. In a world of two-bit, untalented rap gangsta-wannabees, Vandross will be missed.

2. stanleyt

stanleyt Member

Dec 7, 1998
    Harlem, USA
    I wish this wasn't true:

http://abclocal.go.com/wabc/feature...ndrossobit.html

Musician Luther Vandross Dies At 54

By From 7online.com and the Eyewitness News Team

(New York-WABC, July 1, 2005) — Luther Vandross, one of the world's greatest rhythm and blues artist, has died.

He was 54-years-old and had been in ill health for some time.

He was born on Manhattan's Lower East Side and began playing the piano at the age of three. His early musical influences included Aretha Franklin, Diana Ross and Dione Warwick.

His first break came in 1972 when a composition he wrote called Everybody Rejoice was included in the Broadway production of The Wiz. Within a few years Luther Vandross became one of the industry's more sought after vocalists and arrangers.

He also sang background for everyone, including Patti Labelle. In 1981 he signed with Epic Records and released his solo debut album - Never Too Much. It began a decade-long run of chart-topping albums. Many considered his love songs the sound track of relationships.

He continued to produce songs for other artists, even as his own singing career prospered. During this time we all became familiar with his struggle to maintain his weight. His size fluctuated dramatically over the years. At one point his weight topped more than 330 pounds.

Doctors say Vandross developed diabetes and hypertension as a result.

Through a diet and exercise plan he had been able to keep his weight down for several years, but he had started gaining weight again recently. Vandross suffered a stroke in his Manhattan apartment and he never fully recovered.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

I don't have all of his albums, I was never posessed to purchase them (too many ballads) but I could never front on his range and ability.

I first saw him back in 1980 when he was part of the group Change ("The Glow of Love" & "Searching") and loved "Never Too Much."

Tidbit: Luther also sung background on David Bowie's "Young Americans" album back in '75. You can see him in the video for the title song.

He will be missed, to say the least.

3. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
    This sucks.

R.I.P.

4. TheOriginalLilJon

TheOriginalLilJon New Member

May 9, 2005
    Florida
    **Bumps Never Too Much & Excuse Me Miss**

R.I.P :(

5. writered21

writered21 Member+

Jul 14, 2001
    Middle of the Road
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    54. Way too quick.

6. Jon Pall

Jon Pall Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 29, 2003
    Washington D.C/Sao Paulo
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    RIP Luther Vandross. You were the man. I always get a little teary eyed when I hear the song "Here and Now"

7. Ghost

Ghost Member+

Sep 5, 2001
    As long as his songs continue to separate women from their panties, he'll live on in our hearts.

8. astabooty

astabooty Member

Nov 16, 2002
    China
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    :'( and nice comment from ghost :)

9. scaryice

scaryice Member

Jan 25, 2001
    Or some other body part...

...yes, I know I'm stupid, thanks for asking.

10. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
    :)

Thanks for bringing some much-needed humor to this thread.

11. Ghost

Ghost Member+

Sep 5, 2001
    Granted there's a little levity there, but the man brought joy to the world in many ways. I'm speaking well of the dead.

12. Footix

Footix Member

Dec 11, 1998
    Left Of The Dial
    Weird stuff:

I drove right past the hospital he died in, in Edison, yesterday about a half hour before he died, obviously not knowing he was there. When I got home, I happened to read an article in the new Blender about Chic, and how "Good Times" was one of the best songs ever. In the story, it was explained that Luther was the original vocalist for Chic, but left before they hit. I had no idea. Then I heard that he died. Pretty creepy.

The dude was smooth, that's for sure.

13. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ian and Mel opening seperate threads with the same position on the same guy.

And they're both right.

RIP,Big Smoothie. :(

14. servotron

servotron New Member

Mar 4, 2004
    St Paul, MN
    I was wondering why they played nothing but Luther on XM Groove all day. I was like "did he die or something?" and it turns out.. YES.

RIP dude.

15. BorrachoNJ

BorrachoNJ New Member

Apr 8, 2001
    NEW BRUNSWICK, NJ
    10 minutes from me...
    crushed when i heard the news...

RIP, mr. vandross.

16. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Bummer, sad news I just came upon. :( Luther's smooth vocals will never be duplicated and his style of singing is rapidly disappearing. There is no one left to carry the torch.