Luke Rodgers' visa denied, contract terminated by NY Red Bulls

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by carnifex2005, Mar 30, 2012.

1. carnifex2005

carnifex2005 Member+

Jul 1, 2008
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    As tweeted by Grant Wahl.

I wonder why it got denied. Too bad for Red Bulls I suppose.

2. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    because Landon didn't like him.

2 people repped this.
  3. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
  4. barroldinho

barroldinho Member+

Man Utd and LA Galaxy
    England
    Aug 13, 2007
    US/UK dual citizen in HB, CA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    The guy is a jackass thug and apparently struggled to get the initial visa due to his arrest record.

Apparently, those weren't the reason this time, so I've no idea why it was denied now.

He was very good for the Red Bulls though. They'll miss his determination - though Kenny Cooper seems to be stepping up with the goals.

5. M

M Member+

Feb 18, 2000
    Via Ventisette
    I'm surprised he got a visa in the first place given his criminal record.

6. pdid10

pdid10 Member+

Aug 8, 2008
    Boulder
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Who?

1 person likes this.
  7. tk421

tk421 Member

Aug 11, 2007
    New York, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I believe he was denied due to overstaying his visa last time. But we will probably never know the reason.

8. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    It all seems very vague but from what I can gather Rodgers got approved for his visa in the fall of 2010. He did something (no one ever seems to say what except that it wasn't a police matter) before he left the U.K. and entered the U.S. When he went to renew his visa last fall he did not report the incident which led to his visa application being rejected this time.

There was some talk that he overstayed his visa but that is apparently not the issue.

9. troutseth

troutseth Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Houston, TX
    Actually it appears an incident occurred that went unreported:

From what I can glean, it was not the firecracker incident or his assault on the bouncer that that came back to haunt him. As best I can gather, it was a minor incident that went unreported by Rodgers that occurred between his 2011 approval and his actual arrival in the U.S. that was the proverbial straw that broke to camel’s back

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/blogs/socce...ed_bulls_tlrKsnx1x1xbpTj8fa9JRI#ixzz1qcxjcJeU

10. lkgf09

lkgf09 Member

Jun 7, 2004
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sad to see him go. Unfortunately we won't get to see him get under the skin of opposing fans and players anymore.

Landon is happy he doesn't have to see Rodgers anymore.

11. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    It's hard not to laugh.

First off, let me say that I understand the frustration of those who say - correctly - that far worse people than Luke Rodgers are allowed into the country all the time. And it's even more confusing given that he was allowed in last year.

But at the same, what makes this comical is that Luke Rodgers is a punk who sometimes plays decent soccer and, of course, that this is the Red Bulls.

If it were any other team, you might say, "wow, that sucks, tough luck." But since it's the Red Bulls, who constantly seem to have no plan other than to not win the way other MLS teams have and who don't seem to want to emphasize domestic talent and who go through coaches like a baby goes through onesies, this seems like them getting their come-uppance.

And for Rodgers, who came here with a reputation as a punk and then exacerbated that reputation, particularly in his childish, churlish feud with Landy Cakes and who almost took the head off a paying customer by kicking a ball towards her when he lost control of his emotions, it's hard not to see this and keep quiet your inner Nelson Muntz.

2 people repped this.
  12. barroldinho

barroldinho Member+

Man Utd and LA Galaxy
    England
    Aug 13, 2007
    US/UK dual citizen in HB, CA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I'm sure that this is all part of some deeper AEG/LA Galaxy plot.

13. lkgf09

lkgf09 Member

Jun 7, 2004
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Glad to see you are enjoying it.

14. Gamecock14

Gamecock14 Member+

May 27, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    At least Red Bull fans and MLS fans in general always will have this current Red Bulls organization to bring some comic relief to game. From Hans Backe not knowing there was a Gold Cup and being the only manager not to show up to the Draft. To everything in between.

The closest thing to this in sports had to be the Washington Wizards up to about 3 weeks ago when they had Javale McGee and Nick Young before they traded them. Javale McGee was dong stupid things increasingly such as Goaltending by slapping the balls that were pretty much going in to the stands. Then you had Nick Young who would take deep contested 2 pointers instead of passing to open teammates for easy points. At one point he didnt have an assist for like 10 games while playing 3/4 of every game. This was sports comedy at its finest on a continous basis.

15. whitecloud

whitecloud Member+

Jan 25, 2009
    Gulf Shores, AL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm waiting for the next bit of news out of Red Bulls headquarters: that after the loss of Luke Rodgers due to off the field conduct that they will be replacing him with a fine upstanding citizen like Joey Barton or Nicolas Anelka. :D

16. Ajas

Ajas Member

Sep 23, 2009
    3eattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Damn, I liked that guy a lot. I thought he was a great fit for this league and brought a lot of character. Kind of in the same vein as Hassli.

Honestly, bringing in Rodgers was probably the single best move Backe ever made.

17. lkgf09

lkgf09 Member

Jun 7, 2004
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Let's relive some great moments from everyone's favorite agitator

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_pVwJwOH6A"]Luke Rodgers telling Donovan to shut the ******** up - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6r9_7kCtV9o"]Luke Rodgers of New York Red Bulls Nearly Killed a Woman With FootBall - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1CuHDP_gU3w"]RBNY's Luke Rodgers scores from a classy volley - YouTube[/ame]

18. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD
    Well, they're supposedly going after Stephen Ireland pretty hard, and while I don't think he has a criminal record, he's insane in the membrane.

19. EL MONO MARIO

EL MONO MARIO Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Montevideo, Uruguay
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was a little sarcastic about this on my twitter account but in all sense he was not a bad player. In fact a very good player.

How on earth did this happen. This guy came here last year and played with no problemes.. And now his Visa was denied???? does not make any sense.

Alvaro Fernandez has played in MLS 2 years and got a green card.... Mauro Rosales 1 year got his green card... Marco Etcheverry played almost 6 years before he got his green card. GBS 3 years...

And Rodgers who had a bar brawl... was issued a visa and then not re issued...

Again this is mind boggling... Perhaps the NYRB did not want him back for some reason who knows any more..

20. troutseth

troutseth Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Houston, TX
    Did you read the article I posted? He had problems getting his Visa due to his record. Apparently, once he was approved but before he showed up last year he got in trouble AGAIN and never reported the issue. This time around, it was discovered and his omission = denial.

1 person likes this.
  21. tigersoccer2005

tigersoccer2005 Member+

Dec 1, 2003
    North Bergen, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  22. DoctorD

DoctorD Member+

Sep 29, 2002
    MidAtlantic
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As they say, it's a hard knock life.

[​IMG]

2 people repped this.
  23. Michael K.

Michael K. Member

Mar 3, 1999
    There or Thereabouts
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why even try?

[​IMG]

24. That sucks. He was a real character and pretty decent player. I'll miss not watching him this season.

25. tk421

tk421 Member

Aug 11, 2007
    New York, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Because you are being polite?