Luis Sinisterra - news and comments

Discussion in 'Colombians Abroad' started by Baal88, Jul 25, 2017.

1. ryu79

ryu79 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 17, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    lvbeto, Azucarero and sidspaceman repped this.
  2. villus

villus Member+

Jun 5, 2008
    J-Mezzy and sidspaceman repped this.
  3. J-Mezzy

J-Mezzy Member+

Oct 14, 2013
    Orlando
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    But Jimmy can surely give the ball away in a dangerous area for a team like Peru who we dominated to beat us in our own house

ryu79 and villus repped this.
  4. ryu79

ryu79 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 17, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    GOLAZO

J-Mezzy, villus and Azucarero repped this.
  5. jquintero10

jquintero10 Member

May 19, 2010
    Club:
    Atletico Nacional
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Pero hinestroza es mejor…

villus, crzdcolombian and ryu79 repped this.
  6. Azucarero

Azucarero Member+

May 9, 2008
    Just got an assist too

7. Furnaccio

Furnaccio Member+

Feb 19, 2008
    New York, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    lvbeto repped this.
  8. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Sinesterra's goal was very nice, but his Iranian teammate at Feyernord followed it up with an even nicer goal. Which brings me the real point I wanted to make:

The past year I have seen more Colombian players at the club level since they have played for clubs with Iranian players whose progress I try to follow, such as Uribe and Diaz at Porto (before Diaz's move to Liverpool), Barrio at Zenit before Azmoun's recent transfer to Bayer Leverkusen, Sinesterra at Feyernord where Alireza Jahanbakhsh now plays. Even James Rodgriguez has an Iranian teammate, a central defender who scored for Al Ryan in Qatar last night off a corner kick by James Rodriguez. So I have some sense of the quality of players Colombia have to choose from. (And that is besides the Colombia NT games I have watched, including when former Iran NT coach Queiroz was coaching Colombia or now in these qualifiers under your present coach).

Yet, I see Colombia's NT go on such a long goal-less streak despite some very talented attacking players. My view is Colombia is dragging its feet transitioning away from the likes of Falcoa and James towards younger and more energetic players. While Diaz is definitely better than Sinesterra, can't Sinesterra be tested on the opposite flank? For instance, in a 4-3-3 formation with Diaz on one flank, Sinesterra another?

Tio Nicci, villus, krass and 2 others repped this.
  9. ryu79

ryu79 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 17, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Welcome! This is an astute observation that's been made here repeatedly.

Unfortunately, we have a stubborn and scared head coach who has squandered a huge opportunity. Even when he benched James (effectively contributing to Rodriguez falling out of form, btw - he was Everton's best player and a regular prem starter until Benitez and Rueda exiled him to Qatar) he called up and gave minutes to older players rather than taking the opportunity to blood the next generation. He's played our veterans through crazy minutes at the Copa America and fall qualifiers rather than rotating in kids... and they are almost all having injury riddled seasons without understudies prepared for the moment in waiting. It's infuriating.

And yes, I think almost any manager anywhere would have experimented with a 4-3-3 in the midst of the current scoring drought to try and take advantage of both Diaz and Sini... or simply play Diaz closer to goal given his form. Rueda did neither.

sidspaceman, J-Mezzy and Iranian Monitor repped this.
  10. Doogs

Doogs Member+

Dec 11, 2010
    Miami
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    these lame old colombian managers can't keep with the times and see that things are different. Despite everything I think Queiroz was on the right track at least with certain aspects.

Furnaccio and villus repped this.
  11. villus

villus Member+

Jun 5, 2008
    CQ is no managerial god but he would have played Diaz and Sini in a 4-3-3 and we would have been much better. Rueda has grossly mismanaged almost every aspect of this team and Sinisterra is a huge glaring red flag, the guy is a player and he wasn't given any kind of a chance when we were desperately short players who can score and create goals.

ryu79 and Doogs repped this.
  12. Furnaccio

Furnaccio Member+

Feb 19, 2008
    New York, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    It’s not so much who is better but both players have skill sets that compliment each other. Lucho is more explosive and can be the guy who will take matters into his own hands (or feet)

Sinister is more methodical with his approach and relies on passes into open space and creating opportunities for others while having a great awareness within the box to score.

I would love to see both on at the same time but Rueda’s tactics have caused our team to regress to a style that I haven’t seen since pre 2010 cycle. We basically play like a pickup team who has never played footy before

Iranian Monitor repped this.
  13. Doogs

Doogs Member+

Dec 11, 2010
    Miami
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    yeah look's like this guy might be a top player. Will see if I can catch Feyenoord games.

I wonder if there's a way for him and guajiro to play at the same time. Probably not.

Furnaccio and J-Mezzy repped this.
  14. ryu79

ryu79 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 17, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Pro tip- ESPN+ has the Dutch league so you can watch all of them there. If you have paramount you can watch his games in the Europa conference league.

He is very talented.

15. Furnaccio

Furnaccio Member+

Feb 19, 2008
    New York, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Sinister seems to be able to use both feet pretty well. Don’t know why he can’t be used on the right side or have Lucho play as a false 9 / free attacking role - but that would require Rueda or any other Colombian coach to have intelligence and some sort of no-fear mentality

16. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Unlike many Iranians, I'm not a fan of Carlos Queiroz. While not a supporter of his tactics with Iran either, his biggest faults, however, had more to do with all the avoidable conflicts he had engaged with everyone in our football, While famous for his defensive tactics (low press against many teams), his player selections were reasonable, except when punishing players for refusing to join him in thrashing a club coach who threatened his position. Given time, I'm sure Falcoa and James wouldn't last under CQ. He was actually pretty good eventually sidelining legends who had passed their prime. In terms of formation, CQ would have almost certainly used 4-3-3 with what Colombia is showing in terms of talent. With Iran, for instance, he often used Azmoun (Barrios' teammate at Zenit until recently) as the #9 target forward, but had Taremi (more typically a #9 player and Diaz's teammate at Porto)) play from the left wing and Jahanbaksh (Sinisterra teammate at Feyernood) on the right.

Btw, I still don't know what happened to Colombia in the last 2 games under CQ? Those were strange results. Otoh, with Iran, Queiroz was at his best when Iran had the lead. But he had good enough players that he always had the lead in Asia anyway, but his record when Iran would fall behind was mixed.

17. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    I agree. I just meant looking at the issue as an either Diaz on the left or Sinister might make it hard to fit Sinister in your lineup.

18. ryu79

ryu79 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 17, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    The popular rumor is that the locker room turned on him and the players threw the Ecuador game to get him fired.

There is a sub rumor oft associated that James and Cuadrado had a big falling out around the same event.

What these theories never explain is WHY. They had just pulled off a huge comeback away in Santiago and Quieroz didn't appear to have lost the locker room. We were also scoring a bunch with like five goals in the first two qualifiers.

Ive always thought more likely that they underestimated both opponents and these theories provide air cover but I too would love to know.

19. lvbeto

lvbeto Member

Jul 27, 2007
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    I was thinking if Liverpool can find a way for Diaz and Mane to be on the field at the same time, we can find a way for Sinister and Lucho to be on together.

I realize Liverpool is having injury issues but both Mane and Diaz scored on Sunday.

20. Doogs

Doogs Member+

Dec 11, 2010
    Miami
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Klopp is much more versatile than colombian managers though. When guajiro scored he was playing on the right and it seemed like Salah was playing deeper or kind of as a false 9

21. Sini in the TotW of de Telegraaf:
    upload_2022-2-22_0-28-5.png
    and of Voetbal International:
    [​IMG]

22. ryu79

ryu79 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 17, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Yeah, but Klopp is better than any dt coaching anywhere in conmebol. He's the best IMHO (obvi biased as a BvB fan).

23. villus

villus Member+

Jun 5, 2008
    Seeing as we don't have a really good option on the right in that position taking a slightly out of position Sini or Diaz there is probably gonna be fine, both seem decent with both feet I think? Def Diaz is and I'm sure he'll get some time there for Liverpool soon. Rueda its actually just dumb because with a 4-4-2 you could play them both without having to switch sides, play Sini as a second forward and Diaz on the left and allow them to switch off at times.

24. kifrão

kifrão Member

Angers SCO
    Colombia
    Aug 19, 2008
    La Rochelle, Francia
    Club:
    Toulouse FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Que PAR-TI-DA-ZO lo de Sinisterra hoy...

25. jquintero10

jquintero10 Member

May 19, 2010
    Club:
    Atletico Nacional
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    1502000326857027589 is not a valid tweet id

GOLAZO

lvbeto, Azucarero, villus and 1 other person repped this.