Luis Fernando Muriel -news & comments

Discussion in 'Colombians Abroad' started by Baal88, Mar 22, 2010.

1. ryu79

ryu79 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 17, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Super interesting!

2. ryu79

ryu79 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 17, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Muriel rushed back from injury to sub in vs. Roma... And it's the worst I've seen him play in years. Really hope he can find fitness.

3. villus

villus Member+

Jun 5, 2008
    It's a bit of bad luck and bit of bad planning from all involved that Atalanta are in this position without any depth, their lack of depth and pushing Duvan and Muriel back early has led to more injuries and they've given up ground in the race for the top 4. Real shame, they should have tried to do more to re-inforce in January. Missing Muriel, Iliicic, Duvan and Gosens is crippling them.

4. ryu79

ryu79 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 17, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Yes. And De Roon picked up a temper red card to end the match to boot.

Muriel was poor today in a way I hadn't seen from him for a while. He isn't in form for NT as of today and gotta hope he plays more minutes in next few games and finds some confidence and sharpness.

5. jquintero10

jquintero10 Member

May 19, 2010
    Club:
    Atletico Nacional
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia

Goal and Assist

lvbeto and villus repped this.
  6. sidspaceman

sidspaceman Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 20, 2002
    AMÉRICA DE CALI
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    lvbeto repped this.
  7. sidspaceman

sidspaceman Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 20, 2002
    AMÉRICA DE CALI
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
  8. sidspaceman

sidspaceman Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 20, 2002
    AMÉRICA DE CALI
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    villus repped this.
  9. ryu79

ryu79 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 17, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    #2209 ryu79, Mar 10, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2022
    Luis needed these so much. Huge performance for him after last couple of Seria A matches.

Thank goodness!

Edit: watched more of the game and Muriel was absolutely everywhere not just the goals. Credit to him for really showing up with this kind of performance after recent struggles.

10. Tio Nicci

Tio Nicci Member+

Nov 13, 2008
    Houston, Texas
    Club:
    Deportivo Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Why is everyone scoring when we needed this for the past 4 months now.

11. sidspaceman

sidspaceman Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 20, 2002
    AMÉRICA DE CALI
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
  12. Furnaccio

Furnaccio Member+

Feb 19, 2008
    New York, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    I’ll answer on behalf of CRZD

“Club form don’t mean **** unless they do it in the yellow shirt”

Tio Nicci repped this.
  13. ryu79

ryu79 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 17, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Scoreless in 90 tonight for Atalanta as they seem to be fading from the CL race. Juve just has so much depth and despite all the fight la Dea really misses Duvan and Gosens...

14. ryu79

ryu79 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 17, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    #2214 ryu79, Mar 20, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2022
    Muriel comes off the pitch in scoreless second half looking super frustrated. Gasperini gives a shot to 18 year old youth player Cisse who they just promoted to Primavera in past few weeks given all the injuries on Atalanta...

Update: and the 18 yo kid scored a goal and provided an assist for a huge win for Atalanta!

15. ryu79

ryu79 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 17, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Disastrous loss at home for Atalanta vs. Napoli (with Ospina in goal). Muriel played 80 minutes and looked sharp on the ball but with null goal threat in the minutes I got to watch. Muriel was visibly upset coming off, unclear if he was upset to be the one picked to come off or an opposition player but was shouting and gesticulating at something.

Such a frustrating season and they have clearly missed Duvan sliding down the table since his injury (now at 7th).

16. Furnaccio

Furnaccio Member+

Feb 19, 2008
    New York, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Muriel probably thought he was going to have his first 90 minute game since ____ LOL

17. Tio Nicci

Tio Nicci Member+

Nov 13, 2008
    Houston, Texas
    Club:
    Deportivo Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Muriel got lazy, is that a fair statement? The dude doesn't look like he enjoys playing anymore.

Furnaccio repped this.
  18. ryu79

ryu79 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 17, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    I don't know about lazy but he hasn't been able to show the super sub efficiency as the lone striker available in Duvan's long absence and whether that's his own injuries or bad luck, it stinks for him and Atalanta.

19. Tio Nicci

Tio Nicci Member+

Nov 13, 2008
    Houston, Texas
    Club:
    Deportivo Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    but do you not observe his attitude, posture. The man completely plays with no passion in yellow compared to Atalanta. At least thats what I noticed, given I watched Atalanta the past 2 seasons consecutively.

Furnaccio repped this.
  20. ryu79

ryu79 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 17, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    So have I. I can't say I've seen a real difference between his attitude there and for the NT (he's really barely had quality minutes in the NT at his preferred position to be honest).

What I have come to observe is that he hasn't been as effective since Duvan got hurt - but I attribute that more to his being able to exert full effort in concentrated spurts in Gasperini's super sub role vs. trying to find form after an injury himself in the starting spot the past 12 or 15 games...(I mean he had only scored in one game of ten before the last call up for Atalanta - is not like he has been in fire there and then phoning it in for Colombia).

His confidence was sky high the past two years and he just hasn't found it this year for club or country.

Tio Nicci repped this.
  21. villus

villus Member+

Jun 5, 2008
    Atalanta could not survive the loss of Ilicic, Duvan and Gosens. Muriel without Duvan and Ilicic really suffered, he needed to play more minutes coming off injury and without Duvan he has to play a different role. Really unlucky for Atalanta to have all the injuries and losing so many important players, they need to figure out how to get more depth and/or replace Ilicic.

22. ryu79

ryu79 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 17, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    I really wish they had signed Sinisterra when they were linked... Boga is talented but for similar money I think Sini would have been a better solve.

Pasilic and Malina have both been inconsistent of late when I would have expected them to better cover for Ilicic's absence. But Duvan not being there has been brutal he really carried the team this fall.

23. villus

villus Member+

Jun 5, 2008
    Muriel with a golazo. The guy has magic in his feet, can dribble and create a chance from not much and will pull off some ridiculous finishes quite often. Really Sini, Muriel and Diaz do not need much service, you simply just want to get the ball into their feet in and around dangerous areas and let them do the rest. Just maddening that we designed a system and played in a way couldn't even get the ball into forwards close to dangerous areas, they had to dribble there or it was a cross into the box. It still baffles me how we could be so bad attacking with so much talent to generate offense that needs simply minimal service, and instead went with the players who needed constant service on a platter we couldn't provide.

24. Furnaccio

Furnaccio Member+

Feb 19, 2008
    New York, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Muriel played a bit in the 14 and 18 cycles as well as this past one and every time he played, we (myself included) were always excited for what he would bring the “next game” bc of the flashes of brilliance he would show from time to time.

After seeing Muriel live and watching him in 3 WC cycles, I am over him. to me, he is a player with flashes of brilliance and plenty of inconsistency in between, with fitness issues.

Happy for him for what he’s been able to accomplish at Atalanta these past 3 years and hopefully that opens more doors for other Colombians in the future.

But for me, we should move on from him at the NT level.

Azucarero repped this.
  25. villus

villus Member+

Jun 5, 2008
    He can be inconsistent, he can have flashes of brilliance and then be anonymous, but he's a useful player if used in the right way. He's been disappointing and a lot of that is down to him and down to injuries, but its also down to managers to put players in the best position to succeed, and over the last 2-3 years he's shown what he can do for Atalanta. He's largely gonna be past his peak and overall his contribution will be below where it could have been and hopefully it's a cautious tale for Diaz and Sini who have a lot of the same attributes and ability when used in a good system.