Luis Díaz - News & comments

Discussion in 'Colombians Abroad' started by Baal88, Jul 10, 2019.

1. ryu79

ryu79 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 17, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Good take!

2. sidspaceman

sidspaceman Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 20, 2002
    AMÉRICA DE CALI
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia

HomietheClown repped this.
  3. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Glad he is getting hot at the right time.

4. pepinointer

pepinointer Member+

Mar 12, 2007
    Santiago de Compostela
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Also assited one goal

HomietheClown repped this.
  5. Doogs

Doogs Member+

Dec 11, 2010
    Miami
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
  6. Tio Nicci

Tio Nicci Member+

Nov 13, 2008
    Houston, Texas
    Club:
    Deportivo Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    When you score a bike against Brazil, and play for a club that is known to ship quality players. He'll go to a bigger club for sure. I can see Atletico madrid, AC Milan, Tottenham, Dortmund, Sevilla, Napoli.

7. Froboy69

Froboy69 Member+

Inter Milan
    Colombia
    Mar 25, 2011
    San Diego
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    We should be hearing rumors about this guy. How is it that with amazing goals against Brazil and Argentina that the media isn't buzzing over him?

8. ryu79

ryu79 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 17, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    I could imagine concern on his playing a lot of iso ball. But he should get hype now and his tape in Porto is solid too.

If he can play more at one touch, with his pace and lungs, he really can be special.

9. J-Mezzy

J-Mezzy Member+

Oct 14, 2013
    Orlando
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    he is from Colombia

10. Froboy69

Froboy69 Member+

Inter Milan
    Colombia
    Mar 25, 2011
    San Diego
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Oh right I forgot about that...nevermind.

11. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Wasn't he on the bench for much of the second half of the season for Porto?
    That could be a reason why.

12. J-Mezzy

J-Mezzy Member+

Oct 14, 2013
    Orlando
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Question is why

he is a stud

13. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Not sure why.
    I do not follow Porto closely. All I know is that every time I tried to tune into his matches on GOLTV he was on the bench so just watched something else.

But when pertaining to the topic of why there is not much hype about him in the transfer market it could be because of the benching.

14. Furnaccio

Furnaccio Member+

Feb 19, 2008
    New York, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    From my friend who follows Porto closely:

“He can be inconsistent. Also, Conceição is very strict when it comes to teamwork and the importance of forwards helping defend. I defend Conceição but obviously seeing Diaz play this copa I can’t wait for the new season.. he shouldn’t be on the bench this season”

Tio Nicci and HomietheClown repped this.
  15. villus

villus Member+

Jun 5, 2008
    Ya Porto have a very strict system and used Diaz off the bench a lot, Diaz has moments of genius but he is inconsistent. I think being at Porto and having a demanding coach is probably going to help him grow into a better player, Diaz isn't far from being a massive player.

Furnaccio repped this.
  16. ryu79

ryu79 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 17, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Agreed. The key has to be decisiveness when receiving the ball - today he abuses his dribbling and pace, and waits for the defense to settle before attacking, if he can start to react and catch defenses off guard he could be a world beater. Right now it's too much isolation and we don't want Colombia to be the Knicks...

That's the gap I see vs. the top wingers. To give an example, I have seen Jack Grealish make a very similar advance in his game this season, he used to do the same thing, and just feel more comfortable shielding, setting and dribbling, rather than playing into the team and space.

Furnaccio repped this.
  17. villus

villus Member+

Jun 5, 2008
    Yeah for guys like Diaz the peak value is not just being able to beat people but teasing the defense and threatening dangerous areas which on their own create space and chances for your teammates. Diaz goes on a run and he's good at it, but if he can mature and use the threat of his runs to keep the defense off balance and develop his passing and understand how to control tempo better he can be insane. Its difficult to do and Grealish is one of the best in the world on the ball but Diaz has a lot of room to grow on his already high levels of talent.

18. Froboy69

Froboy69 Member+

Inter Milan
    Colombia
    Mar 25, 2011
    San Diego
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    At 24 years of age it makes me happy knowing that we have a young talent like this for a few world cup cycles. Do you guys think that he can play a key role for the new generation and lead? We'll need more than him but he's quite inspring.

Furnaccio and J-Mezzy repped this.
  19. crzdcolombian

crzdcolombian Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    Avon,CT
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    #269 crzdcolombian, Jul 10, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2021
    defense wise and mf we are good.

just need a
    LB - Fabra is old. Fuentes didn’t get a shot
    RM - Cuadrado is not getting younger
    Strikers are old and the ones under them arent any younger nor are they scoring

I know Cucho is a meme here but him and Luis Suarez need to step up

20. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Yup we need a LB. I hope someone emerges. I don't even care if it is C. Borja who could not cut it at Sporting and may go to Turkey. Anybody but Tesillo.

RM: I think as we saw in Qualifying and in this tournament Cuads would have to be injured or suspended not to start. He is one of our team captains for crying out loud. There is NO way he will be replaced by someone else this cycle. 2023 will be the time we probably try and replace him.

Striker: I would like to see Jhon Cordoba get a chance cause I think he is the only guy who can provide the same physical hold up play as Duvan and yet provides a little more speed on counters. Sucks for him he got injured at the end of the German season.

I am one of Cucho's biggest fans obviously but he needs to stay healthy and get more consistent.

Furnaccio repped this.
  21. Furnaccio

Furnaccio Member+

Feb 19, 2008
    New York, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    I think so. Some of us here have made the Cuadrado 2012/13 comparison and I agree 100%.

Diaz wants to have the ball and push forward. I love that. I don’t really see that with some of the other players over the years who have a tendency to go missing during a game…

As time goes on, Díaz will need to evolve his style of play bc he Wil slow down as he gets older and opposing defenders will start to hack him down. I can’t imagine anyone making it to a 100 caps as a pure winger.

Hopefully he can continue to shine at Porto and if/when he goes somewhere else he will be a vital part of that team’s system.

Cuadrado has been able to evolve over time into an 8 / RB and winger.

22. J-Mezzy

J-Mezzy Member+

Oct 14, 2013
    Orlando
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia

But Díaz is more of a natural winger than Cuadrado because he has more goals in him

Cuadrado is more like Di Maria who has played different roles because of his ability to carry the ball and pass

I don’t see why Díaz wouldn’t be a pure winger for a long time

pepinointer repped this.
  23. Furnaccio

Furnaccio Member+

Feb 19, 2008
    New York, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Cordoba and Duvan would be like the Legion of Doom / Road Warriors if paired up front.

I like that idea!!

24. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    As for Diaz from the first time I saw him play against Japan and then Korea for Queiroz I just had a feeling he would be our poor man's Neymar.
    I think the sky is the limit for him and happy he has finally transitioned into a starting spot.

25. crzdcolombian

crzdcolombian Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    Avon,CT
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Diaz on the left with James on the right…..

a #8 who can pass and a LB who can cross and we have a top team

the strikers we have are very good just the mf sucks

Cuadrado at LB or RB.