Luis Angel Landin Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Dynamo' started by truthandlife, Oct 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. truthandlife

truthandlife Member

Jul 28, 2003
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Re: Luis Angel Landin Player Thread

If we are paying him way more than any other player on the squad, he better come in fit and not fat. I am not talking about game day fit but fit enough where you can't see his fat belly come over his shorts.

2. metroag

metroag Da Bomb Diggity

Mar 2, 2006
    La hacienda

I can guarantee the Sounders are not sitting around getting fat-I read some thing about them starting weight training this week.

3. *rey*

*rey* Member+

Feb 22, 2006
    Houston

seriously? is that what we've become, obssessing over 1 players weight.

we didn't lose MLS Cup because of Landin's weight and frankly he's been the same size since the tailend of his Morelia stint. peeps that's his body type. he ain't going to show up to camp Stuart Holden size no matter what he eats the rest of this off-season. look at Ching and all the grief he gets from Stuie about being fat. Ching's not fat, he's just thick.

how come no one ever brings up the fact that Brad Davis needed to be subbed at the 65th minute for most of the season because he was tired? how come no is 'Brad Davis too Fat' threads.

as far as the money, if we're going to btch about a standard wage in the rest of the world then i prefer the Dynamo don't go after anyone else outside the US. we should have $30,000 players all around. yipee!!!!

link? :D

it may be a couple of yahoos getting together to shoot the sht and run some laps, but an organized team training session the week of Christmas for players in their off-season?

4. truthandlife

truthandlife Member

Jul 28, 2003
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo

All fitness shows is commitment. Landin came here not looking very committed to the team as far as fitness is concerned. He had a lot of weeks last year to get fit and he looked like a slug and ran like one too. Everyone of the Dynamo players are working out in the off season. They take a break but they come in reasonably fit.

MLS is not like any other league in the world. You don't just throw the DP money around like it is no big deal. You have to have everything lined up correctly. Remember, you only have 1 and the Dynamo have used it on Landin. Frankly, last year was wasted money and a wasted slot.

Love to know what DP came in "fat" and out of shape to their pre-season. I am rooting for the guy to have breakout year but if he comes in "fat" and out of shape it will show his commitment to this team and I am sure Dom will put him on the first plane home as soon his contract is up.

5. *rey*

*rey* Member+

Feb 22, 2006
    Houston

#1 are we sure every Dynamo player is working out?

#2 how do we know that Landin is not working out and taking his break this week?

look, i agree that Landin needs to bring it next year. i'm just saying that we're taking it overboard and using Landin as a scapegoat for all of our troubles. what should we do? take turns following him around to see what he eats and if he's working out. why don't we do the same for Ryan Cochrane? should we start a thread that Cochrane needs to get off the bench because of what he's making?

6. truthandlife

truthandlife Member

Jul 28, 2003
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo

No, I am with you. A lot of guys have taken off and will be starting right back up getting in some kind of conditioning after Christmas.

I just think Landin is going to be under the microscope this year for the effort and level of conditioning he was in last year.

I hope the guy comes in injury free, fit and ready to play mentally. It will definitely be his time to shine.

7. nobius

nobius BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 3, 2006
    Houston, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Funny you mention Cochrane considering he was the scapegoat for this board during much of 2007.

I think I remember the main whipping order right: Gray > Cerritos > Moreno > Cochrane > Caig > Landin

It is what it is.

8. cougarclaws

cougarclaws Member

May 8, 2006
    Lucky's Pub
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

uhhh yeah.. I'm on the same regimen :D

9. metroag

metroag Da Bomb Diggity

Mar 2, 2006
    La hacienda
  10. dadcoachref

dadcoachref BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 30, 2007
    Crosby
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

WB should be in there between TC and LAL :p

11. Blu N Houston

Blu N Houston Member

Apr 8, 2005
    In your head!
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I fogot to add my smiley cara, so don't take it soooo hard man :D

As far as Landin the free pass is over with, it's time for him to produce.
    He like many others think they can waltz up in the MLS and run it.
    Year two should be make it or break it.
    Either chet, or get off the pot!

12. Blu N Houston

Blu N Houston Member

Apr 8, 2005
    In your head!
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Gray > Cerritos > Moreno > Cochrane > Caig > O'BURRO> Landin

13. truthandlife

truthandlife Member

Jul 28, 2003
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
  14. *rey*

*rey* Member+

Feb 22, 2006
    Houston

sorry about that, but hey its beats working right. but that's 10 Seattle players, where's the rest? and i wonder which 10 it is? starters or the guys at the end of the bench trying to earn a spot/kiss ass.

agree 100%. not only Landin but everybody else in orange. with no CCL quarterfinals or CCL group play this year. we should all be demanding a US Open Cup at minimum!!! 2010 is a no-excuses year.

15. nobius

nobius BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 3, 2006
    Houston, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

The Dynamo better go all out to win the Open Cup this year.

16. Blu N Houston

Blu N Houston Member

Apr 8, 2005
    In your head!
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Or the tag line might have to change. :D

17. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Because he tied for the league lead in assists and had 5 goals. I can overlook some fitness issues for production like that.

Landin hasn't given us any reason to overlook his conditioning, especially since every media guy brought it up as an excuse for his lack of production.

I'm not down on him yet, but if that salary figure is anywhere near correct AND he comes back in marginal shape, he will go down as the worst DP signing in MLS history.

18. metroag

metroag Da Bomb Diggity

Mar 2, 2006
    La hacienda

his backflip alone on the tap in will always give him a leg up on Denilson, who title as worst DP in league history is pretty well assured.

and although not a DP at the time, he was paid like it-honorable mention as worst DP (who really wasn't one) goes to Lothar Mattaus

19. STH Bryan redded

STH Bryan redded Red Card

Oct 28, 2009
    Houston, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Please, oh Please, get rid of Landin NOW!

20. nbrooks503

nbrooks503 Previously Held @Dynamo Hostage From 2008-2019

Jun 1, 2008
    Disgruntled Former STH - Fairweather Bandwaggoner
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Seen at a Dynamo Charities event:

[​IMG]

21. DonJuego

DonJuego Member+

Aug 19, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Most all sports, including footy, now expect year-round fitness from the professionals. Gone are the days of letting yourself go during the off-season and then getting into shape during camp.

If Landin shows up in worse shape than he ended last season I would not be surprised to see Kinnear get rid him before the season starts. Don't pro contracts include provisions requiring the player to maintain fitness?

On his "size", while I generally agree with the King that Landin is a big guy, his playing weight is listed at 165. He was carrying 180+ last season. I can't see him being himself unless he gets it down to at least 170.

22. TX Bill

TX Bill Member+

Apr 3, 2006
    Sugar Land TX
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

This in a nutshell.

23. *rey*

*rey* Member+

Feb 22, 2006
    Houston

its no bobbyboswell.com, but its actually very thought out and well written:

http://www.impre.com/rumbo/deportes/2010/2/12/luis-landin-el-dynamo-y-el-tri-172960-1.html

ingles:

"on occasion we're working 2 a days to enter the season fit and we're being asked for maximum effort. now i know why this team is always one of the best as we're asked to work very hard."

24. brahmafutbol

brahmafutbol Member+

Jan 29, 2006
    East Bernard, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I read that too. Somewhere I read it was his second column, I was trying to find his first. Maybe I just dreamed it, anyhow it is a weekly column, so we'll look for one next week.

I wish Landín would be a member on MD....

25. TeXSolari

TeXSolari New Member

Oct 22, 2008
    Galveston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo