Luis Angel Landin Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Dynamo' started by truthandlife, Oct 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TX Bill

TX Bill Member+

Apr 3, 2006
    Sugar Land TX
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Luis Angel Landin Player Thread

My two cents:

1) Since he's been here, we've seen definite improvement since his first match for us. Yes, it's been coming at a slow and steady pace but at least we're seeing it.

2) If not for Donovan Ricketts, we'd all be talking today about the turn he put on Berhalter before drilling that shot into the left hand corner of the net. That he created all on his own.

3) I thought he was a fairly fast player when he was with Pachuca but maybe I'm wrong. He has gotten around a few players this year when he's collected the ball out on the wing.

Overall, I'm pleased that he's a part of our squad and I think that as time goes on, we'll see better from him. The Schelotto analogy earlier in the thread was apt.

2. DonJuego

DonJuego Member+

Aug 19, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Landin's Fitness Level not good

May I please ask why you keep repeating this myth? You do know it is not true don't you? Or are you extrapolating his salary out over a year and guessing that he is making nearly $400k a year? I'm not sure that assumption can be fairly assumed ....

3. ra azua

ra azua Member

May 10, 2009
    houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico

he has the touch and the skill to put it in the net or find a good pass... something that you cant teach!!! i would rather have that in a player than blazing speed but the touch of a donkey or decent skills but the attitude of a prima donna who thinks hes worth more than what he delivers.

i will give him until next year, and im glad he is here for the last part of the season. if he believes and buys into doms system i can guarantee that he will make waves next year. also, he is flying back and forth to pachuca 4 times a week to see his pregnant wife.. 1st child i think (imagine the pressure).... and he has just moved to a new city and new country...doesnt speak the language...is living out of a suitcase....

give the guy a pass for this year... and like someone said... next year if by 5-7 games he hasnt delivered.. by alll means crucify the man!!!

4. KRAZYKAT

KRAZYKAT Member

Jul 12, 2008
    South Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

He is better than alot of forward in MLS..like some of you say - he does have a better ball control than Ching ..and I wish he pick up his English fast so he can tell some white boys to shut the FcuK up. ( like Davis - pendejo):D

5. DonJuego

DonJuego Member+

Aug 19, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I think Landin can contribute much to the Dynamo and had a reasonable game against LA.

You guys though are over-reacting to Davis'. These guys all yell at each other some and express frustration. The culture of the Dynamo is very veteran lead. Landin did screw up those two situations. He was slow recognizing and executing those passes. His team mates told him -- no big deal.

I think Landin looks fine. But this idea that he should have some special protected status is exactly what he does not want.

6. Eguzki

Eguzki Member

Jul 4, 2007
    Spring, TX
    Club:
    Athletic Club Bilbao
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

One thing that I noticed during the game (and the reason you should attend games, watching soccer at home may give you close ups, hundreds of replays, slow motion, but you can't see everything, like player movements, not to mention formations), was that Landin made the run for the gap more than 10 times.

I'm talking about the run forwards make when they are a couple of yards before the last defender or defenders, the run in which whoever has the ball, has a window of 2 seconds to pass the ball to the forward, if he makes a good pass inside the window, the forward will find himself with the ball, alone, in front of the net, they make the pass after 2 seconds, he is in the offside position.

Not a single time, not even once, did they send the ball to him, Ching made the run 2 or 3 times, same result, Landin even signaled to the gap 6 or 7 times, nothing, some of those times, Davis had the ball, the dude takes forever to look towards the other net, we missed lots of opportunities.

Many other countries, lots of teams can make that play a few times, some teams, midfielders don't even look to see where their teammates are, they just throw the ball to the gap knowing that a teammate should be there, in fact, the only good play in which Becks and Donovan connected, was when Becks send the ball to the gap without looking, Donovan had started his run, he grabbed the ball near our area, the only other good chance for them.

Landin is not Messi, he is not a sprint runner either, he can do a few things very good, making the run for the gap is one of them, but if we never pass him the ball in those situations, we are not utilizing one of his good assets.

7. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I think the jury is still out on Landin, and the verdict won't be in until next season. Clearly has some ball skills as a forward that are better than most of the Dynamo, seems to have decent instincts, not really a complimentary player to Ching so I still struggle to see where he fits in over a whole season.

Glenn Davis' referred again in his blog post today about Landin's fitness levels crimping his play in the second half - WTF is it with this fitness deal? I just find it puzzling that he is not match fit yet and that some are still making excuses for him. He's either fit or not or should have been coming here - this isn't Brett Favre walking in off of the farm in week 1.

And folks are making way too much about Davis yelling at him. There seems to be a group of people "eager" to defend Landin and jump on Davis. May I ask if any of you have ever heard Onstad uncork a blood curdling scream at one of his fullbacks for a blown assignment?

8. Fiorentina lives!

May 5, 2004

Then what does that say about midfield play this year???

9. Hydro

Hydro Member+

Nov 16, 2007
    Houstown
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

As Bandido said in his now famous 2007 chron.com interview "I loves Ching, don't get me wrong, but at the end of the day, a striker has to score goals".

I have to admit that I'm giving Landín a lot more time than I've give other strikers. I didn't cut Ade A-kan-buy-u any slack. I even demanded Dalglish's head on a platter every time he screwed up.

Yes, it had something to do with Landín being latino and me thinking I have something in common with the mexican player. But I am starting to think that I may be completely wrong and I am indeed giving preferential treatment to a player based on the wrong reasons. A little Bandido keeps saying the same words in my ear "...at the end of the day, a striker has to score goals".

I no longer buy the explanations about how easy it was for players like Cam Weaver to make a difference and start scoring inmediately. Yes, Cam didn't come from MLS and not the mexican league and Cam was used to the MLS style... I am starting to admit that I shouldn't give Landín any preferential treatment...

Still, I don't think that Landín is a bad player, he is just not what we need right now. He may produce if he is surrounded by creative midfielders who understand him, and by speedy players who can move around in small spaces and pass the ball to him.

We are in desperate need for speed. We need an ironman who can run for 90 minutes (a striker with Mullan's fitness level), and is hungry for goals (that's not Mullan). And i am ready for a short speedy forward. We've been needing speed for a loooooooong time now.

I hope Landín produces more goals soon. Otherwise, this season will be over soon.

10. KRAZYKAT

KRAZYKAT Member

Jul 12, 2008
    South Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

We got Oduro ..he got speed but with no brain..only if Dom can get Oduro to played with his passion and with his heart.. we might do good .:confused:

11. Giodude

Giodude Member

Sep 17, 2009
    Club:
    Club Atlante

As somebody who watches FMF and has seen Landin played since 2007 and as a fan, I can tell you that he is faster than what you guys expect him to be once he gets fit but he still wont be fastest guy out there obviously.

Just look at all those images of him before 2009 he looks way different, I was shocked when I saw him play with the dynamo a few weeks ago. He looks huge and his speed was awful because that wasnt the Landin I saw every week playing in Morelia or Pachuca

or maybe he is getting ready for Football tryouts

For a big guy he does't use his size to his advantage and I don't think he ever will but at the same time he is great with the ball he almost plays like little guy does. He is also not known for being very aerial so dont expect him making many headers. But what he lacks in that he makes up in skill and the ability to find openings for himself so its not all bad.

Once he gets fit and going I don't doubt that he will do great with Dynamo and I wish you guys luck in the Playoffs.

12. skajules

skajules Member

Mar 26, 2008
    Cypress, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Landin needs a liver cleanse, he needs to lay off the cerveza until the off-season, and he needs to run sprints for an hour every day after practice.

If we wanted a striker with a decent touch, but no pace, who was a poor partner for Ching, it would have been cheaper to keep Franco Caraccio around.

I hope he scores 14 million goals and makes me eat my words. But unless he turns it around, the jokes about Dallas wasting their DP slot are going to become jokes about "Texas teams" wasting their DP slot.

13. 7seven7

7seven7 Member+

May 5, 2008
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

when is this gonna happen?? is it to early to call him lazy? does he just not get it? or is there some physiological condition that requires an abnormal amount of time to get into shape?
    I fully expect him to improve next near, ala, schelleto with his skills and understanding of the system. but getting in shape should not take this long. there's got to be something i'm missing. *scratching head*

14. *rey*

*rey* Member+

Feb 22, 2006
    Houston

for the last time. dude is not getting DP money.....think about as 'fuzzy math' or a shell game, money laundering. does that help any???

the DP money was to pay the transfer fee, because in the rest of the world you have to pay to play the game. low salary, potential 8-9 goals, year loan, its win-win.

15. Blu N Houston

Blu N Houston Member

Apr 8, 2005
    In your head!
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

He's not fat, he's just chubby.

16. Cmack

Cmack Member

Jan 12, 2007
    Pearland

Man i dont understand all the talk on Landin not being fit. He looks fit to me. He isnt fat, just built like a truck. He hustles all over the field and continues to make runs even late in the game. You really dont see him just walking or watching the game as alot of forwards in the league do. When we got Landin we knew we werent getting a track star as a forward. He is a forward with great technical skills and a forward who can finish with either foot. He is also a pretty good passer when the midfielders are actually working off him. I think the lack of scoring so far as clouded some fans minds and people are just looking for anything to fault the guy. Give him some time and he will do just fine for us. He is young and still new to the Dynamo.

17. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Landin is a little pudgy around the cheeks but not everyone can be a poster for a chiseled grill and rock abs in this sport.

I can confirm that this is one of our most glaring problems at the moment.
    We are unable to unlock an opponent's backline because we dilly dally on the ball in the middle 3rd instead of playing thru balls at every opportunity.
    I too have noticed Landin's body language and he is holding the diagonal run up to stay on sides but Rico, Stu and Brad are not releasing him. Mully does but his service usually comes from way wide right and not down the middle.
    This is me not bringing up De Ro but the coolest thing about De Ro, besides his flair for the sport, was his cunning in seeing where the pass that could do the most damage to our opponent needed to be played. I'm not saying all his final 3rd passes would lead to an automatic goal all I am saying is that El Brujo had a common mindset with old Bora Multilovic.
    Bora used to have one core philosophical saying about association football, one that he had to drill into the young U.S. team of the early 90's. It is the mindset that asks his players, What is the most dangerous play in soccer??? Free Kick, corner, long ball, PK...no, the most dangerous play in soccer is the next play.

18. Dre00

Dre00 Member

Oct 12, 2005
    H-town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

QFT....when you don't have a hell of a lot of team speed, it seems to me that you should look to play more quickly. When we had that early season funk, I seem to remember Dom saying that we needed to play more quickly and then, low and behold we started to play more quickly and the wins started to come. I think we're at that point again.

19. metroag

metroag Da Bomb Diggity

Mar 2, 2006
    La hacienda

oh no,no,no-you did not quote Bora-oh brother. He was so confused linguistically was probably mixing his English, Spanish and Arabiac and confused the hell out of himself.

20. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Dude....

Bora is da man!

WHo else do you know can get away with speaking in tounges outside of a Pentacostal service and sport a hair do that looks like a man walked backwards in a Hurricane?!?

21. footyfool

footyfool Member+

May 8, 2008
    Houston

Can we end this DP money discussion one way or another? My understanding is that Landin himself may not be taking home a DP sized paycheck. But he did cost the Dynamo DP money, did he not? The club no longer has that money to use elsewhere does it?

As far as I'm concerned, it doesn't make any difference if Landin is personally getting the money, or if it was a weird sort of transfer fee to Morelia or whomever. He was an expensive acquisition, right? The logic of him costing a lot of money and the expectation that because of that cost he ought to produce, holds true whether or not he is personally being paid.

22. metroag

metroag Da Bomb Diggity

Mar 2, 2006
    La hacienda

yep-I think he was the guy that helped Sasha Curcic get a waverunner while with NY so he could cross the Hudson faster.

What a bunch of tools.

23. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I think a lot of us thought (or were nieve in hope) that Landin would duplicate Montero's scoring from the opening of this season upon his loan from Cruz Azul to us.
    We must be patient with him as I think he hasn't been getting the service a forward like him craves.

I remember that Sasha cat. Forked gotee and all. But Bora to the MetroBulls....hell even Ancelotti would be a disaster at that franchise.

Face it Rene, we both have followed MLS since day 1 and when Tabare went down with that knee injury in year 1 and DCU went on to what they are today...man something's always been wierd with that club.

24. *rey*

*rey* Member+

Feb 22, 2006
    Houston

nope, i refuse to concede.

because in the future i predict you will see a lot of these types of transactions among other MLS teams as they attempt to acquire more foreign internationals. you see its not the salary that kills you its the transfer fee.

......and the transfer fee does not count against your cap and we don't know exactly who's paying the large chunk of the transfer fee (the league, AEG, etc.). so that's why i don't agree and concede that he's costing the Dynamo a lot of cash. i do know who he is costing some money to: CRUZ AZUL because they're the current owners of the loan card.

if i'm wrong someone in the know correct me.

25. Dre00

Dre00 Member

Oct 12, 2005
    H-town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

My understanding is that even with loan fees, he's barely a DP.