Luis Angel Landin Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Dynamo' started by truthandlife, Oct 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ra azua

ra azua Member

May 10, 2009
    houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    maybe we need "lil buddy" in there giving him the service he expects?
    -and i dont mean better service, just different.. different games played in the north and south.
    -just saying, mikey mouse land saw good stuff from both of em-

2. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    My response to that was going to be that, because of apparent mobility limits, such service would need to be handed him on a plate. But handing him more plates might only exacerbate the problem.

3. cougarclaws

cougarclaws Member

May 8, 2006
    Lucky's Pub
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was speaking about the lost salary cap money not the roster spot.

4. El Diva

El Diva Member

Jun 22, 2008
    Section 106
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo

5. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

6. Hydro

Hydro Member+

Nov 16, 2007
    Houstown
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Yeah, that's what my question was. I am not sure I understand salary caps , roster accomodation and roster spot terminology, but does it mean that there is a chance that we can send Landin back, lose our money, but have a spot to bring in somebody else?

What I understand from your answers is that it all depends on the contract language, and whatever the magnanimous league allows us to do, correct?

It's kind of like a friend of mine who once hired a lady over the phone as a dinner companion, and when she showed up, she ended up being a totally different person than her Internet picture. Not very lady like: pronounced Adam's apple, deep voice, big hands, hairy arms, etc. Anyway, my friend ended up paying and sending her/him back without services rendered. My friend lost the money, but had the freedom to hire somebody else if he wanted to. Can this be done with Landin?

7. 7seven7

7seven7 Member+

May 5, 2008
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    wow, a landin/tranny comparison. i will never get that image out of my head.............

8. jvilla07

jvilla07 Member

Oct 30, 2006
    Houston + NOLA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Disappointing so far but we can only hope he turns it around soon. Given all the bad news with the players/team he could sure could turn the sentiment around and reduce the sour taste (sort of like S Garcia and Mayor Parker with the stadium). :eek:
    Is he/has he been nursing a nagging since before he arrived?

9. dustcowpoke

dustcowpoke Member

Jan 7, 2006
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If he has been nursing an injury this whole time it would be the first time I've ever not heard a soccer player give that as an excuse for not playing well.

Usually in press conferences or post game interviews the player will say well my knee has been bothering me or something like that.

It's now time to face the facts. Landin is a flop. When I first saw that we signed him I thought what a great day for our club; because I saw what he could do with Pachuca. It doesn't matter how he changed, only that he's taking up $400k of cap space to sit the bench and score 0 goals.

I think the FO are smart and know that some DPs are trash while some are successful. Hopefully next time we get a Ljungberg or Angel (minus the attitudes) type player and not a Landin or Denilson.

10. nobius

nobius BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 3, 2006
    Houston, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Your "friend" eh? ;)

11. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    I know MLS' roster and salary rules are complicated and not everyone counts against the roster (homegrown) and not everyone counts against the cap (GenAdi, allocations), but a recent MLS-sanctioned article regarding Ngwenya said we have something like 3 spots still open, and I've heard people on here come up with 6-digit figures for our cap room. I think we already should be building up the team more, though I understand that we might want to save it for the summer window. But if we can shove Landin off the bus and build up the war chest even more, why not? Get an a-mid and some healed forwards and you could fix the offense fast.

We have Oduro healthy, Ngwenya working on fitness, and Ching and Weaver rehabbing. Once they are healthy, Landin is basically expendable. That is precisely how I understood the Ngwenya signing, because while Oduro might be mediocre, he's cheap, but Landin is expensive and unproductive. I can't see us retaining 5 forwards for very long.

I think we ought to be working with MLS on if dispensation is available, and then seeing if we can convert our open roster space and cap room -- plus anything we can salvage from Landin -- into midfield quality and/or depth.

Because I see the "we are stuck with Landin" bit as passivity that will put us on the playoff borderline. We'll have cash to play around with next year, but why not advance the process considering the end result is pretty clear? If he's hurt, any soccer player will tell you that won't improve with more playing time. And the fact is that we have him on loan, we can't treat this like some project that might work out next year. As far as we know, there is no tomorrow. We won't care if he figures it out next year, we don't have those rights. That's why I'm amazed that people keep wanting to give him a chance.

12. Art Vandaley

Art Vandaley Member

Feb 22, 2006
    New Hampshire
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States