Lucas Ontivero

Discussion in 'Montreal Impact' started by MetroChile, Feb 2, 2017.

1. MetroChile

MetroChile Member+

Jan 13, 2001
    NJ; Valpo.
    Club:
    Santiago Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    Hi, guys.

Lucas just signed for U. de Chile, Chile's 2nd biggest club. Even though I am a Red Bulls fan, I don't remember seeing much of him so I came here to ask you guys for the 411. Considering he's played for so many clubs at such a young age and he was already in MLS at age 21 is a bit underwhelming, however, I personally always give players the benefit of the doubt.

Thanks in advance for any info. Also, mods: please feel free to move this thread accordingly.

2. (De La)Redstriker06

May 3, 2003
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    Palestine
    Wildly inconsistent. He has a special something... but you could never depend on him- he'd go missing for long stretches in games.

I also found him to be a little too one-dimensional and almost predictable in possession. He always liked to cut in on his left foot and I think he was found out pretty quickly.

I think Ontivero just needs some stability- he can't keep going on loan every year. At 22, he needs a home where he can develop his game. Chile might be a good fit for him- as a lot of smaller guys in his mold have done really well there (Leo Valencia of Palestino comes to mind).

3. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My opinion: MLS needs to get better at keeping talented players like Ontivero. He only started 12 games (and had 2 goals, 2 assists) as a midfielder... a pretty good return. i like his skillset. he is good in tight spaces, has good control of the ball and is athletic. when i first saw him play, i thought he would be a really good MLS player but didnt realize he is a "DP". unfortunately, MLS' weird roster rules make a player like this - one who doesnt automatically score or create a goal every game - a questionable use of a precious high-salary spot...but Ontivero was clearly good enough to be an above average MLS player at minimum. He was a victim of circumstances because MTL had an unusual problem for MLS teams....too many good players who are all playing similar positions. Johan Vanegas...who just scored a brace in world cup qulaifiers vs the USA and who played well in the copa america barely played for MTL too.....he was sent to a different MLS team this offseason and I expect him to do well for Minnesota United. I think there is a good chance Ontivero will go on to a good career and MLS will look back and say he is one that got away.