Luca de la Torre

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Scotty, Feb 3, 2022.

1. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yup, came here to say this. Picked a hell of a nice place to live. Great food and super underrated beaches, even if theyre cold.

Bajoro repped this.
  2. MarioKempes

MarioKempes Member+

Real Madrid, DC United, anywhere Pulisic plays
    Aug 3, 2000
    Proxima Centauri
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Posts like mine? I'm not predicting anything, it's just a fun post. What I will say is this kid has heart. And I've seen kids with heart beat out kids with greater ability over and over and over again. The kid's got good ball control. He's tenacious. He can only improve at Celta Vigo. He will embrace the challenge.

I will also say that he and Tom Brady are both part Norwegian. Never doubt a Viking!

[​IMG]

Bajoro repped this.
  3. 50/50 Ball

50/50 Ball Member+

Sep 6, 2006
    USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For our purposes, he only needs to carve out a big enough role to stay sharp. With 5 subs etc he might get himself plenty of PT.

Ray Shoesmith, Marko72 and Bajoro repped this.
  4. iad_22201

iad_22201 Member+

Jan 2, 2009
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It looks like they'll also be signing Oscar Rodriguez on loan from Sevilla.

5. rgli13

rgli13 Member+

Mar 23, 2005
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    not knowing anything about celta vigos makeup why do you say that?

not that i think he will, or should, play ahead of anyone else but its counterintuitive to say young players would play ahead of him, isnt it? not that hes a grizzled vet at 24 himself but why would a team default to lesser/equally talented youth?

6. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What is there to say I think the coach even said that this was a depth move... Not sure how anyone could expect anything else really, we're talking about relegated in Netherlands to midtable Spain possibly the second best league in the world.

7. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    On the other hand FR reports "Luis Campos wanted him as potential future star." *

* do I even know who that is? no I do not!

8. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    LDLT pretty high up in these center mid rankings (link)

[​IMG]

Excellency and Yowza repped this.
  9. MarioKempes

MarioKempes Member+

Aug 3, 2000
    Proxima Centauri
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #284 MarioKempes, Jul 8, 2022
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2022
    https://eldesmarque-com.translate.g...uto&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=en-US&_x_tr_pto=wapp

This whole development is just amazing. Luis Campos is now the Sporting Director for PSG. Yes, that PSG. You know, the one with Messi and Mbappe and Neymar. He's also an advisor to Celta Vigo. It was Luis himself who identified and sought out Luca De La Torre. Jeebus, my head is spinning.

Sure, LDLT will have quite a fight on his hands to get playing time, but hey, at least he has a chance. I did not see this coming. I expected him to go to Twente or some other Eredivisie club. I am delighted for Luca.

The manager, Eduardo Coudet, an Argentine, played in MLS for Philadelphia Union at one time.

LDLT was on $125K per year wages at Heracles. What do you suppose he's making now? I would guess it's probably around $400K per year.

10. Pl@ymaker

Pl@ymaker Member+

Feb 8, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  11. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Interesting... when I googled Luis Campos after seeing that tweet, the guy at PSG came up. So I assumed there were two! Looked up Celta Vigo on Wikipedia and saw Eduardo Coudet but no mention of Luis Campos, so I assumed it was some guy deep in the organization...

https://www.football-espana.net/202...ay-of-offers-to-continue-work-with-celta-vigo

Paris Saint-Germain continued their summer of change by appointing Luis Campos as a Sporting Advisor recently, but they had to do so on his terms.

That’s according to Diario AS. The Madrid-based paper say that Campos would only accept the role providing he could continue with his duties at Celta Vigo. Campos has been working in an advisory role for Celta for several months and has placed Juan Carlos Calero in more hands-on co-ordinator role.

Celta and Campos signed an agreement for an indefinite amount of time and the Portuguese even gave up his work with Galatasaray in order to take charge of shaping the Galician club, where he will impact on the style of play, the academy, recruitment and the model of operating.

In addition to renouncing his work in Turkey, AS also say that he turned down Bayern Munich, Newcastle United and none other than Real Madrid.

Reportedly he has already made his first signing at Celta in Swedish midfielder Williot Swedberg from Hammarby, although that has yet to be confirmed. That will be the first step in what appears to be significant reshaping of the squad in Vigo.

Campos’ cachet comes from an outstanding past in scouting and recruitment, including for Real Madrid and AS Monaco. The number and size of the teams suggest that Celta have secured something of a coup.​

12. Almelo is in the region called "de Achterhoek", also referred to as the garden/park of the Netherlands. When you know how the rest of the Netherlands are regarding the green environment, you understand why that region is a much loved holiday destination. It's a stunningly beautiful region. Cities not so much.

MarioKempes repped this.
  13. iad_22201

iad_22201 Member+

Jan 2, 2009
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #288 iad_22201, Jul 8, 2022
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2022
    This isn't the least bit accurate but I do enjoy your commitment to the old BigSoccer bit of cluelessly denigrating a player who has any potential of competing with a Yank for minutes at the club level.

14. ChambersWI

ChambersWI Member+

Nov 10, 2010
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Pl@ymaker and Magikfute repped this.
  15. ChambersWI

ChambersWI Member+

Nov 10, 2010
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Oh I think he will play I just dunno if he will be a starter right away. Mid just happens to be an area where Celta is both young a deep

16. Maximum Optimal

Maximum Optimal Member+

Jul 10, 2001
    They play with 4 mids. Probably will have a regular rotation in which 7 will receive significant playing time. LDLT has a fairly versatile game that will allow him in principle to play any of the midfield spots. He will get a significant number of minutes.

FTGOTC, russ and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  17. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    I believe Luis Campos also brought in Tim Weah to Lille and built that title team.

18. KALM

KALM Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Boston/Providence
    Luis Campos is also the guy that Reggie Cannon said he repeatedly communicated with, while Campos was still Lille's Sporting Director, before agreeing to sign with Boavista.

MarioKempes repped this.
  19. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FTGOTC and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  20. MarioKempes

MarioKempes Member+

Aug 3, 2000
    Proxima Centauri
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  21. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Pl@ymaker and MarioKempes repped this.
  22. MarioKempes

MarioKempes Member+

Aug 3, 2000
    Proxima Centauri
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    11 Yanks take

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  23. MarioKempes

MarioKempes Member+

Aug 3, 2000
    Proxima Centauri
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What a smart move by Luca to go to Heracles. The Eredivisie is #7 in the UEFA coefficients, and he went to what was then a mid-table club. What it meant for him was consistent playing time. He played in every game and he improved a lot. Now with the Celta Vigo transfer complete, he's gone to another mid-table club, but in a higher league (#2 in UEFA coefficients), and I believe he will get significant minutes. It just couldn't have worked out better for him. Celta Vigo is the perfect club for him in terms of the way they play and the level of competition. His Dutch gamble has paid off massively.

Excellency, FTGOTC and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  24. LuckofLichaj2

LuckofLichaj2 Member

Oct 14, 2021
    I agree things are working out. But I think they would in most places, provided he didn’t go way over his level. Decent technicality, above average IQ and a very good work rate means he’d be useful in many places. He’s just not a high-ceiling guy.

25. MarioKempes

MarioKempes Member+

Aug 3, 2000
    Proxima Centauri
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He might be a starter in La Liga which was the #1 league in the world 2 years ago and for several years running, and is now a close second to the EPL. What is a higher ceiling than that? Starting at Manchester City, Liverpool, Real Madrid, PSG, AC Milan, or Bayern Munich, that's about it. He won't make it to those clubs, but if he becomes a consistent starter for Celta Vigo, most players would switch places with him in a heartbeat. He's an unusual player in that he plays somewhere between a #6 and #8. I think his best path forward is as a #8, but he'll need to add goals to his repertoire to find notable success.