Luca Before You Leap: de la Torre at Celta Vigo

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Dave Marino-Nachison, Jul 25, 2013.

?

What should we rename the Luca de la Torre thread?

1. Luca’s Labour’s Lost? de la Torre at Celta Vigo

10 vote(s)
    11.0%
  2. My name is Luca, I live in the Second Team: De La Torre at Celta Vigo

16 vote(s)
    17.6%
  3. Luca's Labour (not) Lost: Luca de la Torre at Celta Vigo

14 vote(s)
    15.4%
  4. Luca Before you Leap: Luca de la Torre at Celta Vigo

51 vote(s)
    56.0%
  1. ShayG

ShayG Member

Celtic
    United States
    Aug 9, 2021
    Lots of (deserved) credit for Pulisic, Pepi, and Wes against Grenada but Luca deserves some love as well. Two assists and very tidy work in the midfield.
    upload_2023-3-25_18-18-14.png

2. Centennial

Centennial Member+

Apr 4, 2003
    Centennial
    Luca does a lot of the important work in the midfield and does it in a non flashy way. He goes unnoticed for most of the game but vital to the team.

Dervos, Winoman, Pl@ymaker and 2 others repped this.
  3. dspence2311

dspence2311 Member+

Oct 14, 2007
    We can and should use a lot more people in the midfield (rotation, different formations) than MMA all the time in tournament play.

adam tash, Centennial, Dizi and 6 others repped this.
  4. Mt Stone@

Mt Stone@ Member

Apr 30, 2016
    USA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Won't never happen if GGG is rehired

Dizi, Pl@ymaker and Dervos repped this.
  5. Ray Shoesmith

Ray Shoesmith Member+

Valencia
    United States
    Nov 14, 2021
    Well, it‘s nice that Luca isn‘t hurt, and actually now playing for Celta. I have a feeling that the time travelers here will forget all of that or change that and it was different before the cup.

Wait, he did play him in the last couple of windows.

WTF is wrong with you people. Serious.

6. dspence2311

dspence2311 Member+

Oct 14, 2007
  7. la torre

la torre Member+

Dec 27, 2008
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Our patience paid off!

8. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I suppose. That patience was a change of manager. The prior one who he was acquired under certainly didn't have any interest. Good thing he got fired after a half season. Cousin La Torre didn't get off the bench until that guy left.

He's performing adequately in his opportunity under the new guy & they're winning more than they were. Not much changes in the other direction if that happens. But 19th of 24 players on their team on Sofascore suggests if team results go south, he'd be 1 of the first to go back to the bench.

For a winger, he needs to be more useful in the final 3rd, like Brenden, only w/ 1/15th of the price-tag for them to have investment in him. 2 goals+assists, one which appeared to be passed a player who was offsides but got out of the way. In the big picture, this has been a weakness too. So we'll see.

But he's eventually gotten more of a chance than I thought he would. Hasn't performed much differently than I expected.

9. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Change of manager, or was it the octopus?

10. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    He has been getting rave reviews and has been in the La Liga team of the week.Yes, he has been preforming "adequately". His entry into the starting team has also coincided with better results for Celta.

adam tash, ChicagoVT, Pl@ymaker and 4 others repped this.
  11. dspence2311

dspence2311 Member+

Oct 14, 2007
    He should play a lot for us. So should other non-MMA midfielders (as rotation depth).

adam tash repped this.
  12. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    I think there is SOME possibility of displacing MMA. I note that none of them are great passers.

Dervos and aeschylusdanceparty repped this.
  13. dspence2311

dspence2311 Member+

Oct 14, 2007
    Agreed

14. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts Member+

United States
    Mar 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They had a long discussion about this on Sirius yesterday. The entire MMA midfield all bring similar traits to the table. They are not identical... I.e. Musah is the best dribbler of the three, Adams is the best tackler and Wes has a nose for the goal (particularly with his head on set pieces). But none of them consistently break down opponents w/ a killer pass. LDLT does this far more consistently..... unfortunately, he lacks the physical presence the MMA guys do. In the end, it would be ideal to have a player that is a combo of all their strengths because said player would be world elite. But in lieu of that phenom we need to find the correct balance.... and that balance is likely dependent on the opponent.

15. Centennial

Centennial Member+

Apr 4, 2003
    Centennial
    I’m starting to hope they keep Hudson on as our coach permanently. I liked him when he coached our Rapids and I like his pragmatic approach. Time will tell.

dspence2311 repped this.
  16. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Considering how smart they are, perhaps it's time to extend the protections given to chimps and dolphins to octopuses.

Gorky repped this.
  17. Anderson11

Anderson11 Member

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If we’re giving out rights and protections based on intelligence, my in-laws are in trouble.

18. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore BigSoccer Yellow Card

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We need to have different looks and options in midfield. MMA won’t always be the best option especially if we are chasing a game and it’s not clicking.

19. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Luca plays LM in a 4-4-2 for Celta and seems like a good fit for him. He isn't a speedy or touchline hugging winger but being outside-ish shields him from more physical demands of a CM. Problem with 4-4-2 is that you can get outmanned in central midfield but seems to work best with the Celta personnel..

Dervos repped this.
  20. Mt Stone@

Mt Stone@ Member

Apr 30, 2016
    USA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Was told he was pretty shit with the Rapids

21. bballshawn

bballshawn Member+

Feb 5, 2014
    Delaware
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    He's pretty fast with the ball

Dervos and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  22. Dervos

Dervos Member+

Mar 13, 2002
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    The claims on bigsoccer of LDLT being physically disadvantaged are becoming so overblown as to be approaching absurdity. He's not an athletic freak or anything, but he's perfectly fine. He has extremely quick feet and is extremely fast with the ball, and covers an absolutely enormous amount of ground.

23. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, I agree. I like his work with the ball.

24. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    LDLT was dropped from the lineup today (even in spite of Veiga's unavailability) after a poor individual and team performance last match.

Like I had said, I figured they'd be fickle, once team results didn't come, given the lack of investment and his mere adequacy this season. But even I didn't expect the hook to be that quick. Maybe I didn't give enough of a critique, at this point. It appears the actual manager was harsher, after showing initial faith. I was being fairer or giving more leash.

25. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    he's on to start the 2nd half.