Luca Before You Leap: de la Torre at Celta Vigo

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Dave Marino-Nachison, Jul 25, 2013.

?

What should we rename the Luca de la Torre thread?

1. Luca’s Labour’s Lost? de la Torre at Celta Vigo

10 vote(s)
    10.9%
  2. My name is Luca, I live in the Second Team: De La Torre at Celta Vigo

17 vote(s)
    18.5%
  3. Luca's Labour (not) Lost: Luca de la Torre at Celta Vigo

14 vote(s)
    15.2%
  4. Luca Before you Leap: Luca de la Torre at Celta Vigo

51 vote(s)
    55.4%
  1. MarioKempes

MarioKempes Member+

Real Madrid, DC United, anywhere Pulisic plays
    Aug 3, 2000
    Proxima Centauri
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    74 minutes for LDLT. I think we can call him a starter now.

adam tash, HScoach13 and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  2. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Atlántico has a feature on him today:

https://www.atlantico.net/articulo/...cada-victoria-celta/20230205200703966341.html

A Galician Tradition for Luca de la Torre After Each Victory

[...]
    The American midfielder has adopted a local custom for several weeks. Every time the team wins, the next day De la Torre's menu is already known: Galician-style octopus. We saw him eating seafood and typical dishes from the estuary in a Celta video with Kevin and other foreign footballers and, of all of them, he was undoubtedly the one who showed the best manners.

PS: Luca's paternal family has roots in Galicia, where Vigo is located.

3. felloveranddidanadu

Plymouth Argyle FC
    Dec 12, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Frogs
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Aw man, super cool detail. Was reading up on Vigo and Galicia after the game. Looks like a wonderful little piece of the world. Would be great if he can spend a good few years there. There are plenty of great midfielders who aren't also great athletes. My favorite of all time, Xavi, was pretty pedestrian athletically but was an Einstein of the game in terms of tactics and technique. If LdlT can keep improving his game intelligence he'll continue to produce at a high level.

4. Dervos

Dervos Member+

Mar 13, 2002
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    It's been a fantastic couple of games, but he was pretty freaking great for a pretty freaking awful Heracles. He made teams of the month for the entire Eredivisie despite playing on such an awful team, won man of the match awards vs the top teams, etc.. He was pretty much always the best player on the field for Heracles and often one of the best for either team.

It has been really fun watching him get to just play at CV though. He doesn't have to carry all the water all game long for a change.

5. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I’ve visited Galicia years ago. I loved it. Vigo, A Corūna, and Lugo are sooooooo different that the rest of Spain. The region had this dark mythical feel to it. There’s a chill in the air with the wind and moisture coming off the treacherous and rocky Atlantic coast. Vigo, in particular, had this weird beauty to it. It was a mix of dark blue ocean, grayish misty skies, with a pop of sun that created stunning emerald green land. It reminded me of the Pacific NW with its weather but Irish coast in its looks. Which make sense with its historical Celtic connection and fishing industry. Really cool place and the seafood was some of the best I’ve ever had. Man…. I need to go back to Galicia.

6. WheezingUSASupport

Dortmund
    United States
    Aug 28, 2017
    So happy to see him break into Celta this way. There’s not much depth behind MMA if there’s injuries or one of the 3 goes into a poor run of form.

Dervos and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  7. dspence2311

dspence2311 Member+

Oct 14, 2007
    The way I look at it we have 5 really good 8s in Wes, Gio, Yunus, Luca and Tillman.

8. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts Member+

United States
    Mar 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It could be argued that Wes and Musah are already in a poor run of form. LDLT's lack of pace is pretty evident at times but he is a super classy passer of the ball which is sorely lacking in our midfield.

9. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts Member+

United States
    Mar 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think we need to add Booth to the list. That dude can really pass.

10. Pl@ymaker

Pl@ymaker Member+

Feb 8, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  11. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  12. NorcalHockeyhooligan

Feb 25, 2012
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ,!! Did the A-Team ever air on Spanish tv? Funny to hear the theme being played

13. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #1638 BostonRed, Feb 12, 2023
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2023
    Pl@ymaker and ChrisSSBB repped this.
  14. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    They lost 1-0.

The A-Team theme is awesome, come on.

15. Pl@ymaker

Pl@ymaker Member+

Feb 8, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Atletico Madrid's goal, came after Luca was subbed out. Luca played well but he could've did better when he had a couple of chances to score.

People need to stop getting pissed at Luca for not shooting more with the USMNT. He's not a goal-scorer.

16. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It could be argued that the MMA midfield is not the way to go....I mean, really.

The best USMNT's have always had 2 CMs not 3......MMA is the reason the team cant generate attack.....there's no playmaking. no assists. no line-breaking passes.

Scissorkick Collins and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  17. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    It'd be a valid point if:

a) We had good creative AMs and good strikers;

b) This were not Yanks Abroad but the USMNT forum.

dark knight repped this.
  18. Pl@ymaker

Pl@ymaker Member+

Feb 8, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So it is a valid point, just in the wrong forum.

19. NorcalHockeyhooligan

Feb 25, 2012
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, it’s funny how the show became such a giant hit even though Peppard hated Mr.T because the latter became a breakout star every.person/kid.loved.the.best. Maybe it’s because I was just a kid when I watched so *I* never noticed tension between the two spill over into the show.
    I was just curious if the show aired in Spain because if not, the crowd must have wondered what the heck the song was…

Suyuntuy repped this.
  20. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts Member+

United States
    Mar 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pl@ymaker, Winoman, BostonRed and 2 others repped this.
  21. Casper

Casper Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    New York
    Drama. Luca subbed off in the 68th minute as part of a midfield double sub - and then Tapia, who came in as part of that double sub, got a red card seven minutes later. However, Celta Vigo rescue a point on a stoppage time own goal. Solid result on the road against a better side, and solid possession stats from Luca - tough play as the left midfielder in a 4-4-2. Took a knock getting fouled and drawing a yellow and had a little bit of a limp shortly before he came off, may have been part of the decision to pull him.

22. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    Starts today. Big game against fellow bottom dwellers.

LouisianaViking07/09, Dervos and Winoman repped this.
  23. uniteo

uniteo Member+

Sep 2, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    40th minute with Celta up 2-0 at home and completely carrying the run of play in the 20 minutes or so I have seen

24. Dervos

Dervos Member+

Mar 13, 2002
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    We're pretty close to being able to call them midtable rather than bottom dwellers (or at least aspirational midtable :D) if today's result holds. They're playing .500 ball since Luca became a starter, compared to losing 2/3rds of their games before that. He's not their best player, but he's been really solid, and the team is demonstrably better with him out there.

25. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    Subbed off at the 72. LDTs snap shot blocked by goalie annd put in by teammate for 3-0.

uniteo and comoesa repped this.