Loyalty is it worth it?

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by Serengeti_Boy, Jan 30, 2013.

1. Serengeti_Boy

Serengeti_Boy Member+

Sep 15, 2009
    Serengeti, East Africa
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Tanzania
    Just a gander I was having about loyalty in todays game. Is it worth being a one club player man anymore? Especially if the team is struggling. Take for example Jack Wilshere. He's laid his words on how he wants to cptain Arsenal and be there for years. For me this is tough decision as he doesn't know where Arsenals next trophy is from what the board is planning.

Personally not sure how long I'd last in such a situation. A career should be based around Trophies and success at a point. Esp when you are absolute class above your own team like Totti and De Rossi. How long would you guys last in such a team if you knew you were destined for better (Arsenal or Roma)

2. frasermc

frasermc Take your flunky and dangle

Celtic
    Scotland
    Jul 28, 2006
    Newcastle-Upon-Tyne
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    The old loyalty vs trophies issue.

Is it so wrong to show some loyalty to a club? I suppose it comes down to each individual but in the examples you've listed above loyalty should be a little easier to come by as both clubs surely still hold realistic ambitions of winning trophies.

Arsenal always have a chance of winning a cup competition in England and it was only a few seasons ago that Roma finished runners-up in Serie A.

Playing for the teams mentioned, whilst not guaranteeing medals, does still offer the possibility of them.

Perhaps the loyalty vs success debate would be more prominent if a player was playing for a club side such as a QPR/Chievo for example.

3. MailMan

MailMan Red Card

Sep 7, 2011
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    agreed. It is predicted that most that read this will go with loyalty off the bat, but if your team is relegated would you really stick with them? I wouldn't. Just as Rooney is still a die hard everton fan, and buys his son Everton jerseys, Id play for the bigger club but still root for my home team.