Low Activity on Board

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by Liverpool_SC, Sep 26, 2003.

1. Liverpool_SC

Liverpool_SC Member

Jun 28, 2002
    Upstate, SC
    Why has traffic slowed down so much on my beloved Liverpool board?

Matt Clark hasn't been the same since his holiday - now he posts more on the England team than he does re: 'Pool!!! What is up with that, Matt? I know that the Turk fans/apologists are infuriating, but 'Pool deserves more of your time!

Lanky and USScouse, along with 66134 or whatever your impossible to remember handle is, have done good work on the game threads. But what has happened to the analysis?

Is 'Pools new, settled lineup and reasonably consistant play from each player left us with little to talk about? Is Houllier's position now (hopefully) no longer under so much scrutiny? Surely there need to be some whinging fans who wonder why Spud or Le Tellec are not playing more?

What happened to all the critics of Diouf? Has his great work-rate and commitment in his new wide position satisfied (more or less) everyone?

What about our mediocre showing against Olimpia Ljub-whatever?

I suppose with the onset of the season itself, some of the Close Season stress has been relieved and seeing the club play a couple times a week leaves these boards a less important part of our support of our team - but those of us who can only rarely see matches miss the action here!

2. SuperElf

SuperElf Member

Jul 16, 1999
    Dallas, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, for one, I think we've only had one EPL match in the last two and a half weeks, what with internationals and the UEFA tie.

However, I don't think volume is all that low. We had a tornado last year about Christmas time (middle of the slump), but before and since things are usually pretty mellow around here. You'll have a thread or two after injuries, matchday threads, a couple of big picture items (stadium, et. al), and then once a week Wildman will come in and tell us about what it's like to play with Pele, and mightyredone will bitch about how GH never signed Pele or Wildman, and therefore should get the sack.

3. Lanky134

Lanky134 New Member

Oct 25, 1999
    134, 3, 6
    I haven't posted too much analysis because there haven't been as many televised games this season, so I can only go by the highlights.

Also, a lot of us seem to be in agreement on many points, so that naturally keeps the traffic down.

4. I agree with that.

And I've been slammed with work.

----

5. skipshady

skipshady New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Orchard St, NYC
    I can take care of that.

Michael Owen is clearly washed up. He made Brad Friedel look like the best keeper in the Premiership. Just look at his strike/minute rate! We clearly need Robbie Fowler back. Houllier needs to be sacked. A good manager like Martin O'Neill would have beaten Leicester by 5 goals. I know what I am talking about because I played alongside DiStefano and Puskas and in the future I will play with Freddy Adu.

6. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    Most of the regulars on this board agree,
    I had to carry Alfredo for one season while he was having a bad time.

7. Anomaly385

Anomaly385 New Member

Sep 2, 2003
    Anaheim, CA
    i taught freddy everything he knows.

and even some things he doesnt.

plus i like cheesecake.

8. SuperElf

SuperElf Member

Jul 16, 1999
    Dallas, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, but did you play with Pele like Wildman?

9. Flying Weasel

Flying Weasel Member

Mar 22, 2001
    Harrisburg, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, but I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

10. skipshady

skipshady New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Orchard St, NYC
    Don't you see? Wildman is Pele!

Completely off topic, but I have my Yahoo front page set up so I get Liverpool headlines. I wish they'd stop mixing stories like this with my LFC news: http://uk.sports.yahoo.com/030924/203/e9bej.html

11. Lanky134

Lanky134 New Member

Oct 25, 1999
    134, 3, 6
    Yeah, I saw that, too. Took a while to realize that they were talking about rugby.

12. Matt Clark

Matt Clark Member

Dec 19, 1999
    Liverpool
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Yeah, I have been kind of slow of late. Been feeling a bit narky, so being really horrible to pretend Turks has been my tonic of choice.

Plus work is a beeatch at the moment. Plus at the moment there is not really much of note to talk about. Our new line-up and approach is getting together, players are in form and things look good. Do we all need to meet here once a day to reconfirm that or can we just take it as read? ;)

But, to get things moving, your points:

Diouf - is coming good. He still needs to improve his decision making (by some margin his worst quality as things stand) but he's a bundle of energy, he's direct and he is taking Houlliers wider attacking approach on his shoulders. I think he will prove an important catalyst for the side on many occasions - remember, Kewell hasn't had one of his drift-out games yet where he just sort of disappears. He tends to have 10 or so of those a season and it is then that Dioufy's new vibrancy will prove crucial.

As to Spud and Le Talent, you play your way into this side. That is the way it should be. For all his quality last season, Spud dipped in pre-season and in the first two premiership matches and his replacement by Smicer is, as things stand, merited on form. Houllier has always been criticised for persisting with out-of-form players, well - now he's wielding the axe and it's working.

Le Talent will get his chance. He looked useful in the OL game, but obviously needs more exposure to life in the first team before we see the best of him. This season was meant to be one he spent almost entirely in the reserves, so he's not doing too badly so far. It will be a campaign of cameo appearances for him I should imagine. Presumably he will start against Blackburn in the League Cup.

13. fatboy slim-fast

fatboy slim-fast New Member

Jul 23, 2003
    Jersey/NYC
    Unless my college offers a major in Big Soccer, I won't be on here alot, I have to hit the books.

14. Anomaly385

Anomaly385 New Member

Sep 2, 2003
    Anaheim, CA
    yea college is gonna be a hassle... started UCI on friday... walking around as a brand new first year student and not knowing a thing is :)

15. fatboy slim-fast

fatboy slim-fast New Member

Jul 23, 2003
    Jersey/NYC
    yep...I know what ure talking about... i'm in my 2nd year

16. Snackbar

Snackbar New Member

Jul 8, 2003
    Alachua, FL
    You poor college-attending lads.

um, well, I work at a University, and things have gotten busier for me as well. Probably because the kids are back. lol.

This is going to be a trying season. Won three in a row, then threw one away to Charlton (nothing against the performance of Kevin Lisbie). I just hope we can beat Arsenal.

And if you're feeling bad about Liverpool, take a look at Newcastle. Geez!?! What the heck is going on over there?

17. 655321

655321 New Member

Jul 21, 2002
    The Mission, SF
    Jesus, haven't you people seen A Clockwork Orange?? :)

I'm not on here much, mainly, because of work. Underpaid, overworked...busy as f#@k all the time.

18. Snackbar

Snackbar New Member

Jul 8, 2003
    Alachua, FL
    Re: Re: Low Activity on Board

Wow, it's been years since I've seen that, but I can listen to Beethoven just fine, lol. I think it's time to revisit that this weekend.

19. Liverpool_SC

Liverpool_SC Member

Jun 28, 2002
    Upstate, SC
    Re: Re: Low Activity on Board

Sorry. I was born in '75 and my favorite classic films are invariably from the 40s, 50s and 60s - not the (IIRC) 70s.

20. Lanky134

Lanky134 New Member

Oct 25, 1999
    134, 3, 6
    Starting to get a bit busy at work now. We just took on some new people and they're my responsibility so I don't know how much I'll be able to contribute during the day (except comms, where I should still be able to make some time). But I'll still be around at night, though.

21. kopiteinkc

kopiteinkc Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2000
    Shawnee
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Slow activity from me as I am dealing with some personal hell at the moment.

I keep posting in the games/fantasy thread as I feel obligated to finish tournaments I started.

But to be honest I don't have the heart to post much nowadays.

PM me if you like, but don't use this thread to continue this conversation.

Pathetic attempt at gaining sympathy over ...

22. zpjohnstone

zpjohnstone Member

Feb 27, 2001
    Finger Lakes, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll blame it on the recovering economy- the good old days of post-crash consultancy where I just sat around and read and collected a paycheck are sadly over- I've actually been working for my paycheck the last three or four months.

It's kind of unprofessional for me to use my client's network for personal use and I don't compute from home . . . . not that i've really been all that much of a contributor, but i've certainly not been around for the last few months.

23. mbrossetti

mbrossetti New Member

Mar 5, 2001
    NY, NY
    Hello.

I've just been reading most of the posts. I've nothing really of note to contribute, so I keep shut. But I have seen A Clockwork Orange, also like cheesecake and have been in school and teaching ungrateful 13/14 year old mal adjusted misfits for the past 3 months. So my time at home is invariably spent sleeping and trying to come up with lesson plans. Allthough I did manage to invest in DirecTV and the PPV package, so I've managed to catch a bunch of games already this year leading up to the early morning affair with Arsenal this Saturday. After which I will proceed with lesson planning for the aforementioned ungrateful social misfits.

OK...but I have liked the way for the most part we've fared the past few weeks.

24. LiverpoolFanatic

Liverpool FC, Philadelphia Union
    Feb 19, 2000
    Lancaster, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm jonesing for footy... :( I'm gonna try to get my landlord to tape the match this saturday for me though. Fingers crossed.

25. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    I saw Clockwork Orange ‘first run’ and that was after I read the book. As for college, a nice young lad from a working class family in the old days could only dream.
    And my dreams were of footie and girls. (Perhaps the dreams were a little damp in the latter case…. at first.)

I’m fairly happy with the way the season has started, except we could have done better in the valley. But all the top clubs have had a slip or two.

I’ll let you know how I really feel after the gunners…!