Love Him or Hate Him: Alain Nkong?

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by GoRapids, Apr 17, 2006.

1. GoRapids

GoRapids Member

Sep 1, 1999
    Boulder CO
    Alain Nkong
    Regular Season Stats
    YEAR TEAM GP GS MIN G A SHT SOG FC FS C EJ
    2005 Colorado 28 20 1,732 5 4 48 18 46 46 9 0
    Career 28 20 1,732 5 4 48 18 46 46 9 0

Playoff Stats
    YEAR TEAM GP GS MIN G A SHT SOG FC FS C EJ
    2005 Colorado 2 2 144 0 1 5 2 4 3 0 1
    Career 2 2 144 0 1 5 2 4 3 0 1

2. GoRapids

GoRapids Member

Sep 1, 1999
    Boulder CO
    He had his moments - but he didn't do enough to earn love in my book - doesn't belong on that list with the others.

3. Quango

Quango BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 25, 2003
    Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    I liked the spark he brought to the team. He would get the ball, turn, and run at defenders. We haven't had an attacking mid like that in the last few years. Unlike Kirovski at AMid, he wasn't invisible for large parts. Yea, we could have done without his rolling-on-the-ground theatrics, but I definitely liked him. Q

4. rockymtn_mike

rockymtn_mike New Member

Jul 25, 2004
    Adams County, CO

I got to agree

5. Malaga CF fan

Malaga CF fan Member

Apr 19, 2000
    Fairfax, VA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In the Rapids dictionary, there is a picture of him next to the phrase "What might have been?"

Hopefully, they can find a way to get him back, but I know that's a long shot.

6. Rei de Boston

Rei de Boston New Member

Mar 16, 2004
    Amen.

Nkong was someone I loved last year. I voted loved him but in reality he wasn't here long enough to merit induction with some of the others.

7. spot

spot Member+

Nov 29, 1999
    Centennial
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You always new he was on the field. He played fast. He ran hard. Worked hard off the ball. Contributed to defense. He combined well with the rest of the midfield. He had a hard shot.

He also had a habit of dribbling into pressure and taking some really dumb cards. His intensity made it plain that he would be hard to live with.

I was looking forward to 2006 being his year. Hoping, that he'd learn the nuances of what fouls not to commit in MLS, and that the rest of the team would turn up the pace to catch up with his.

8. adambauer

adambauer New Member

Jul 1, 2004
    Johnstown
    We let our best foreign player go since Carlos V., due to salary issues. Way to go KSE! Much love to Nkong because he would have been awesome.

9. GoRapids

GoRapids Member

Sep 1, 1999
    Boulder CO
    We hardly knew ye Nking Nkong!

10. BulaJacket

BulaJacket Member

Columbus Crew (hometown), Minnesota United (close ties), Colorado Rapids (now home), Jacksonville Armada (ties)
    United States
    May 9, 2003
    Ashtabula, OH / Denver, CO / MN / Jax
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've not been up as much with the offseason-type-news this year, but I remember hearing about the Nkong contract situation (IIRC...on loan for a year with option to buy, but buy price was too expensive? or something like that). Question for those who followed the situation....Is there any possibility he returns in the near future (next year, etc)? I liked his style and thought he was an asset to MLS and the Rapids....one of the Rapids best last year IMO.