Louisville NWSL

Discussion in 'NWSL Expansion' started by SiberianThunderT, Aug 13, 2019.

1. Reign Man

Reign Man Member

SEATTLE REIGN!
    Sep 28, 2016
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I think Visalli is one of the best unprotected players.

blissett repped this.
  2. Reign Man

Reign Man Member

SEATTLE REIGN!
    Sep 28, 2016
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    This draft seemed much friendlier than the previous two. The picks didn't really upset any team and the players were all consulted in advance. (Still don't know why Cudjoe was unprotected though!) It will be interesting to see the trades happening in the next week or two!!

blissett and SiberianThunderT repped this.
  3. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If we had done a mock draft, I probably would have only gotten about 3 right. :oops:

Same, although I do think it was a bit costly for Sky Blue (Cudjoe!) and North Carolina (both Merrick and Milliet were solid picks). Also who is now OL Reign's keeper?

blissett and SiberianThunderT repped this.
  4. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #154 cpthomas, Nov 12, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2020
    Sarah Bouhaddi, maybe.

Or, the Reign trade Megan Rapinoe to the Thorns for Britt Eckerstrom. That sounds sort of crazy, but maybe not as crazy as some might think.

5. Reign Man

Reign Man Member

SEATTLE REIGN!
    Sep 28, 2016
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    We're joking about our supporter's group keeper signing up -- the team has zero at this point. SOMETHING must be in the works.

blissett and lil_one repped this.
  6. Reign Man

Reign Man Member

SEATTLE REIGN!
    Sep 28, 2016
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Same.

Indeed

Smart draft. Lot's of youth. Two major superstars.
    Win for everyone.

Sad to lose Betos (who's currently out with an MCL injury)

blissett repped this.
  7. toad455

toad455 Member+

Nov 28, 2005
    yes, some surprises, but next year with two teams involved it should be a lot more exciting.

8. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    More exciting? More painful.

I guess it depends on what happens to your team(s).

9. Klingo3034

Klingo3034 Member+

Dallas FC
    United States
    Oct 11, 2019
    Obviously Press and Heath won’t come back til they get what they want and that is going to Angel City. And Louisville probably knew that.

10. Klingo3034

Klingo3034 Member+

Dallas FC
    United States
    Oct 11, 2019
    What two teams? I know one is Angel. What’s the other?

11. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    maybe if they offer a $150,000 transfer fee and good wages, she might be tempted. She has a couple years contract left so she will expensive to buy.

Reign Man repped this.
  12. nick p

nick p Member+

Jul 11, 2009
    Baltimore Maryland
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I feel like Press and Heath will be traded to Angel City

13. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    For sure. Everyone on all soccer boards feels the same thing.

I remember when Press was with the Red Stars, the consensus was if LA gets a team she will be gone to it.

I hope I'm wrong but I doubt either one will play in Louisville this coming season, but what a bargaining chip for Louisville next year.

14. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Sacramento

15. Klingo3034

Klingo3034 Member+

Dallas FC
    United States
    Oct 11, 2019
    Confirmed? Or still on the fence?

16. Smallchief

Smallchief Member+

Oct 27, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    We'll see how this comes out for Louisville, but I'm skeptical about its draft choices -- with the caveat that maybe the team has determined that all the drafted players intentions to play in the NWSL in 2020 and got a positive response. Will Australians Foord and Kennedy come back to the US to play for Louisville? Will Heath and Press ever play for Louisville? .

So Louisville got maybe 14 players for 2021 (counting the three -- Nagasoto, Mathews, and McCaskill obtained earlier).

Of the players who are likely to play for Louisville in 2020, I only see seven who are proven or semi-proven: D -- Merrick; MF -- Milliet and Cudjoe; F -- , Mathews, Nagasoto, and McCaskill; and GK -- Betos.

So, if the Ozzies and Heath and Press show up you've got the makings of a pretty good team. And if they don't....? Well, there's the draft.

17. toad455

toad455 Member+

Nov 28, 2005
    It's apparently close to being a done deal. Maybe it gets announced by the time the 2021 season begins?

Klingo3034 repped this.
  18. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am not sure about LA. By their first season at LA, Press would be 33 (34 that December) and Heath would be 34 already. They go together as a pair. So as a bargaining chip, I do not think they will be that valuable. Their value, however, partly may depend on whether the Olympic games occur and whether they will be significant players on the Olympic team, which would increase their PR value for a team. I think that is how both Louisville and LA would see them: as marquee players for an inaugural year, with relatively limited expectations of long term value.

Reign Man repped this.
  19. Klingo3034

Klingo3034 Member+

Dallas FC
    United States
    Oct 11, 2019
    Looks like they will by judge based on their performance in MU as well as taking team Champions League if they stay in top 3.

20. Klingo3034

Klingo3034 Member+

Dallas FC
    United States
    Oct 11, 2019
    Also Louisville also has next year’s college draft. So are they giving a first round pick?

21. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Well, of course they're going to have a first round pick; they're going to have a pick in every round unless trades happen. And since LOU was announced so far in advance, there shouldn't be any question that they pick first in each round (unless, as before, trades are being discussed). The only reason that previous NWSL expansion teams have caused hand-wringing over the first overall draft pick is that previous NWSL teams came into the league very late in the lead-up to their inaugural seasons, so the previous year's last-place team was usually expecting to get that first pick instead. LOU has been announced for so long that there isn't that ambiguity here.

22. toad455

toad455 Member+

Nov 28, 2005
    I think it's moreso where will Louisville pick in the draft? Do they get the #1 pick?

23. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain

24. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Not sure if it had already been mentioned that Yuki Nagasato is most probably set up to play in Louisville (I remember that someone here or on a similar thread had speculated that she could have decided to remain in Japan, after being picked by Louisville because Chicago Red Stars hadn't protected her): she recently (11th of November) pinned this tweet on her Twitter page:

59Amerinorsk and Klingo3034 repped this.
  25. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Good to hear that Yuki will play with Louisville.

Just to clarify, Yuki was traded by Red Stars to Louisville along with McCaskill so that the rest of Red Stars roster including US Women National Team players would NOT be picked by Louisville. She was not unprotected. In other words and in my opinion, they protected the roster they wanted to protect and got rid of I'm assuming two big salaries. IMO, it was more important for Chicago to protect a "free" starting USWNT player and hometown players than maintain two high salaries. It makes sense to me.

59Amerinorsk and blissett repped this.