Lothar Matthäus to Atlético Paranaense

Discussion in 'Brazil' started by leonidas, Jan 5, 2006.

1. leonidas

leonidas Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Rumors are that Mr Lothar Matthäus himself might be the next coach of Atletico Paranaense. Wow. This should be interesting. He hasnt found much success as a coach so far...his venture with the Hungarian national team was far from successful. But, I think this is a very good opportunity for Brazilian football.

One thing that has stuck out to me in recent weeks was Max Bretos, the commentator for Fox Soccer Channel. As he was covering the World Club Cup final between Liverpool and Sao Paulo, he essentially was saying that Cicinho was too good for Sao Paulo and Brazil. I found this notion to be rediculous. People may knock on Sao Paulo for winning ugly, but they won against a European team, and I just cant imagine that a player can be too good for the Brazilian league.

If Lothar does find his way to Brazil, I think this will be great. It's a way to elevate our league. I mean, Brazil is arguably the best footballing country in the world. And I think it's just crazy how some people view our league as a joke. Granted, we dont help ourselves with the corruption that goes on...although that's really more of a societal thing than anything else. Whatever. People hated Corinthians for joining the "Darkside" by having MSI invest in them. But hey, that's just the way you compete in the global market. Money has made Corinthians a very good team, and they will only continue to grow with their new state-of-the-art stadium (This is quite painful as a Palmeirense) Anyways, Lothar to Brazil, if it pans out, I like it. Should be good for his career, and Atletico are a solid Brazilian club. And it should be good for Brazil.

2. FredGavioes

FredGavioes Member

Nov 30, 2004
    Boston/MA
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Re: Lothar to Atletico???

i hope he really goes to atletico, it will be cool havin him there. the only thing that is keeping him signing with atletico, is his family, like he said.

3. SoccerScout

SoccerScout Member

Jan 3, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Club:
    Internacional Porto Alegre

yeah I saw on Globo Esporte...he toured the city of Curitiba...lookedat Interntional Schools...walked the streets....he is liking it. Curitiba is a very nice city. He said he will decide by Sunday. I think its a smart move when people in soccer expand their horizons...ala Zico in japan....Petkovic in Brazil..PELE in the US etc...it can open doors ($$$) in the future...

4. Sparks2005

Sparks2005 New Member

Mar 14, 2005
    São Paulo, Brazil

One thing he would learn: the little professionalism boards in Brazilian clubs have towards managers, as well as the lack of patience from the local supporters.

This is the country where everything that goes wrong in a football club is the manager's fault. Try losing two or three games and see what happens.

Lothar would have to be very misinformed to accept such a job.

5. leonidas

leonidas Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil

well, this is mainly a latin thing. brazil and spain (real madrid) are where the fans and board are so impatient.

i think it's good for him in a way because he is introduced to a different style of play. if he can mix his european knowledge, with the new stuff he acquires in brazil, he can make a pretty interesting hybrid style. brining that back to europe could be pretty useful.

but for the most part, i do think that this move might not really work out. i think the biggest barrier is language. i mean, if luxa couldnt even communicate in spain with his Portunol, imagine lothar. hah.

6. neovox

neovox Member

Aug 21, 2003
    Sul do Brasil

...you again.

Boring.

7. Re: Lothar to Atletico???

I predict Lothar to be a complete and utter failure in Brazil. I'm sorry to say so, but his reputation in Germany is very low. No one's denying that he used to be a great footballer, but most Germans think he's a complete and utter moron. I don't think he has the intellectual capacity to thrive in an unfamiliar environment.

Whenever there's a vacancy in Germany, be it club or country, he tries to position himself as a candidate, but no one ever hires him. When Nuremberg earlier this season was desperate enough to give him a chance, the fan reaction was so devestating that the management refrained from signing him.

Hey, I might be wrong, but I don't think Lothar would last with Paranaense. I predict a short stint, with everyone being glad to be rid of him in the end.

8. Sparks2005

Sparks2005 New Member

Mar 14, 2005
    São Paulo, Brazil

Don't like my posts, don't read them. No one is putting a gun to your head.

9. Sparks2005

Sparks2005 New Member

Mar 14, 2005
    São Paulo, Brazil

I agree with what you said regarding the opportunity to get in contact with a new style of play and thus to learn new things. I also agree that the language could be a problem. Well, if he comes to Atlético Paranaense, let's see what happens, I will be curious and will wish him luck.

As for the other issue, I don't think we can compare the treatment coaches receive in Brazil with what happens in Spain. The current Real Madrid is an exception. I don't recall other Spanish leading clubs where the same thing happens. Since unprofessionalism is the general rule for clubs in Brazil and an exception in Spain, I think you distorted reality a little bit there, sorry.

10. neovox

neovox Member

Aug 21, 2003
    Sul do Brasil

Still boring. But now you said something that makes sense. :)

11. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil

Matthaeus signs with Atletico Paranaense
    Story Tools:
    Print Email Blog This
    Associated Press
    Posted: 2 hours ago

CURITIBA, Brazil (AP) - Lothar Matthaeus has signed a nine-month contract with Brazilian club Atletico Paranaense.

Matthaeus, whose two-year contract with Hungary's national team expired on Dec. 31, signed a contract with the Brazilian club late Tuesday, according to the Hungarian team's Web site. The contract starts Feb. 1.

"I am extremely sorry that I was believed a moron by some of the Hungarian Soccer Federation's managers for six months," Matthaeus said. "I learned to love this city, this country, and its people and let's just say if in a year things smoothen out within the federation, I'd be happy to return to Hungarian soccer."

The deal with Paranaense will be cut into two 4 1/2-month contracts so Matthaeus can work as a television commentator during the World Cup finals in Germany in June and July.

Matthaeus played 150 matches for Germany, a national record, and led Germany to the 1990 World Cup title.

He was the 1990 European player of the year with Inter Milan and won the 1991 FIFA World Player of Year award. He also holds the record for most matches played in World Cups with 25 - in 1982, '86, '90, '94 and '98.

12. leonidas

leonidas Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil

Yup. It's offcial. Lothar also brought along Paulo Rink to be his assistant. You may remember him as the naturalized Brazilian who played a few games for Germany in the late 90s. He first made a name for himself at Atletico. So, it's pretty clear that Rink will be coaching the team then. haha. But yeah, this looks like a good move for Lothar. Coaching staff would seem a bit inexpierenced though.

13. Bentex

Bentex Member

Dec 23, 2002
    Nottingham, UK

My sincere condolences to all Atletico fans.

14. Sparks2005

Sparks2005 New Member

Mar 14, 2005
    São Paulo, Brazil

I wonder what makes you think you are so interesting yourself.

I went through some of your posts and I know your type. You are the stereotyped Brazilian hippie that seems to think Brazil doesn't deserve its "third world" tag; for you every Brazilian social problem is over hyped, since the same thing is found in any other country including first world ones, right? You buy the old government induced propaganda - Brazil is a "wonderful land", with the "best people on Earth", the "most beautiful women in the world" and thus everything over here is just fine the way it is. :rolleyes:

It sure is easy to think this way with your Mercedes resting parked in the garage of your cute apartment in the model-city Curitiba while you go out to pick the color of your wife's new Audi A3, just after collecting the latest round of your hefty attorney fees.

Meanwhile, outside your little fantasyland, 70% of the population struggles to live without any public institutions to rely on, but who cares, it's easy to close our eyes to that right?

I know people like me, that have a better grasp of reality than you, are boring with all this criticism… especially if a nerve is touched, such as Brazilian club football. Be careful, though. Things might go back into the correct perspective for you if luck runs out and one day you have to deal with the harsh reality just outside your door. ;)

15. MIGkiller

MIGkiller Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    May 9, 2003
    Rio de Janeiro
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    **Moderator Note**

Keep the discussion on topic guys. Otherwise I'll start deleting posts.

16. Sparks2005

Sparks2005 New Member

Mar 14, 2005
    São Paulo, Brazil
    Re: **Moderator Note**

I apologize; I should have sent a private message.

17. neovox

neovox Member

Aug 21, 2003
    Sul do Brasil
    Hey, Sparks, next time try to quote me instead of posting your own and creative version of me. ;) Be well. :)

18. leonidas

leonidas Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Lothar was presented today as the new coach of Atletico. So, it's official. Lothar claims his stay wont be a trampoline...a springboard to another job. we'll see.

19. SoccerScout

SoccerScout Member

Jan 3, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Club:
    Lothar Mattheus "in Brazil" Watch [r]

First game coaching from the bench a 1-0 win in the Paranaense State Championship.

Mattheus record in Brazil so far:

1-0

[​IMG]

20. neovox

neovox Member

Aug 21, 2003
    Sul do Brasil
    It was a good start. But Atlético owes him a few talented players for the Brasileirão - State Championships unfortunately have become just a pre-season. Well, he will have time to choose them. Then Atlético will probably sign them. There is a chance it works.

21. SoccerScout

SoccerScout Member

Jan 3, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Club:
    Matheus is now 5-0 with Atletico.

22. jonam

jonam Member

Aug 27, 2003
    Westfalenstadion
    Any infos or pics of this new stadium?