Lost in Translation

Discussion in 'Movies, TV and Music' started by carolinab, Sep 15, 2003.

1. bungadiri

bungadiri Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Lost in Translation.

I found the answer to a question I think I asked in this thread.

edit: from the same site, this is also interesting:

2. bert patenaude

Apr 16, 2001
    White Plains, NY
    I first saw this movie on the big screen two years ago and liked it. I saw it with my Japanese girlfriend (now wife) and could relate very well to the discombobulated state of the main characters from jet lag. My wife was a little uncomfortable about the portrayal of the Japanese characters but did not think that the depictions were racist.

I've recently rewatched the film and it was better on second viewing. The acting is effortless, the cinematography is stunning, and the soundtrack is great. The movie does a great job in depicting jet lag, the fleeting nature of attraction, and the power of memory.

My main interpretation of the film is that it is portrayed as a beautiful memory for Bob and Charlotte. That's why I love the fade in of Bob's arrival and the fade out of Bob's departure on the road to the airport. Sort of the beginning and end of a dream or memory.

As for the ending, what Bob said to Charlotte in the street does not really matter. From the context, this is a final farewell and a farewell that provides the "right" ending to a beautiful memory for the both of them. Nothing more and nothing less.

As for Bob's one night stand, he is only human in his drunkenness and horniness. His sexual attraction for Charlotte had to be transferred to another. I wish that this film would be considered average by Hollywood standards but it is one of best movies that I have seen in the last 5 years.

Incidentally, I want to go to Tokyo everytime I see this movie. I'll be traveling there in late October with my wife but fortunately I will not be staying at the Hyatt and I will hopefully be not lost in translation.

3. Stogey23

Stogey23 Member+

Dec 12, 1998
    San Diego, CA
    Every movie should begin with a shot of Scarlett in see-thru panties.

World peace would be achieved overnight.