Losing Record in First Place [R]

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by Flying Weasel, Sep 6, 2002.

1. Flying Weasel

Flying Weasel Member

Mar 22, 2001
    Harrisburg, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So the Metrostars move into first place in the East with their Thursday night win, meaning a division leader has a losing record (more loses than wins) at 11-12-2. There's something not quite right about that.

And looking at the remaining schedules, there's a fair chance (I'd say 50-50) that whoever does win the East will have as many losses as wins, with Metrostars now actually looking the most likely to better that. I doubt that the division winner will actually have a losing record, but that could be the case.

Some might say this is a sign of competitive balance, which is good to an extent, but only to an extent. There's a fine line between competitive balance and across-the-board mediocrity. I prefer the top teams to actually rise clearly above the rest and treat us to levels of excellence which are unique enough to truly be special.

Of course, if MLS would go to a single table, maybe this wouldn't be an issue, so maybe I shouldn't care or be bothered by a division champ not being able to win more often than they lose, much less actually win over half their matches.

2. fusionmansteve

fusionmansteve New Member

Jun 9, 2000
    Waiting in Lockhart parking lot.....
    Club:
    Miami FC
    This was my 'Scintillating Parity or Painful Mediocrity' thread from last week...

Weasel's right. I know a certain defunct team that wouldn't be wallowing around .500 about now.

Ray's sh**kickers would be running away with the east and providing some flair and eliteness to what has become this otherwise vanilla league.

You miss them too.

3. henryo

henryo Member+

Jun 26, 2007
    Interesting old thread, 2002 will likely remain as the one and only season where ALL TEAMS in one conference (incl. the winners) had LOSING RECORDS, :ROFLMAO:

Check it out: http://www.mlssoccer.com/standings/2002

Code:
                      #    Club----------- PTS   GP    W     L     T    GF    GA    GD    Home     Away     Last[/FONT]
    [FONT=courier new]1    New England --- 38    28    12    14    2    49    49    0     7-7-0    5-7-2    W-T-W-W-W[/FONT]
    [FONT=courier new]2    Columbus Crew - 38    28    11    12    5    44    43    1     6-4-4    5-8-1    W-T-L-W-L[/FONT]
    [FONT=courier new]3    Chicago Fire -- 37    28    11    13    4    43    38    5     5-5-4    6-8-0    L-L-L-L-W[/FONT]
    [FONT=courier new]4    MetroStars ---- 35    28    11    15    2    41    47    -6    4-8-2    7-7-0    L-W-L-L-L[/FONT]
    [FONT=courier new]5    D.C. United --- 32    28    09    14    5    31    40    -9    8-4-2    1-10-3   W-L-W-W-L
    [/CODE][/FONT]